The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:47 PM   #1
gtsum
is One Chatty Farker

Default Recently went from Yoder to Memphis Elite...

Had the yoder 640 for about a year, and it is a very good cooker, but the Memphis kept calling to me. I called a shop in Houston and they gave me such a good price I caved and ordered it on the spot. It is truly like a fine indoor appliance (like a Wolf range, etc). Here r some cooks the past month or so

Mahi mahi at 600 indirect

Obligatory butts and brisket

Desert for the kids

Prime tenderloin

Spares with a taste tester spot

Prime fillet and strip

Pies - still working on these. These were 4 minutes and then rimmed under broiler for 30 seconds. I can’t get enough top heat to balance the baking steel heat in the grill when trying to do 4-5 minute cooks

Bierocks

Venison burgers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
gtsum is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2018, 08:06 PM   #2
KevinJ
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Everything looks awesome, not in the market for an Elite but thinking about an Advantage and a MAK 1 Star, if you wouldn't mind passing along the dealer you purchased from I would greatly appreciate it.
Weber Go-Anywhere

All American Moinkballer
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2018, 08:35 PM   #3
gtsum
is One Chatty Farker

Default Recently went from Yoder to Memphis Elite...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
Everything looks awesome, not in the market for an Elite but thinking about an Advantage and a MAK 1 Star, if you wouldn't mind passing along the dealer you purchased from I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks! Texas star grill shop in Houston. Fantastic pricing and quick delivery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by gtsum; 03-13-2018 at 08:57 PM..

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-13-2018, 08:59 PM   #4
tom b
Babbling Farker

High end food from a high end cooker, looks killer!
Traeger Timberline 1300, Built in Santa Maria Pit, Weber Performer Deluxe 22 w/CB Rotisserie, Blackstone Pizza Oven, Bayou Classic 36" offset, WGA, Smokey Joe, Akorn Jr., Wood Fire Barrel Rotisserie cooker
tom b is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2018, 09:33 PM   #5
Smoke on Badger Mountain
Babbling Farker

The food looks awesome!

24"x48" Custom Offset, 22" Weber Kettle , Camp Chef 2 burner w/ griddle. An almost finished UDS
Smoke on Badger Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2018, 09:38 PM   #6
rwalters
is one Smokin' Farker

Fantastic cooks... killer cooker!!!!! :)

Old 03-14-2018, 04:49 AM   #7
stangman327
Full Fledged Farker

So what are the differences you’ve noticed between the two coolers?

M1
Hunsaker
Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24 propane smoker
Weber Genesis II LX S-340 Gas Grill w/iGrill probes
Lodge Cast iron sportsman's grill
Masterbuilt electric digital smoker
stangman327 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2018, 06:14 AM   #8
gtsum
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangman327 View Post
So what are the differences you’ve noticed between the two coolers?
Thanks all!

The Yoder is more like an offset stick burner in form and function than the Memphis IMO. Both are very well built, with the Yoder being heavier, but the Memphis more refined. The temp control is much tighter on the Memphis...like 1-2 degrees max from set temp at all times. Recovery when opening the lid is lightning quick on the Memphis where the Yoder would take awhile.

With the Memphis having a more advanced controller and double wall lid, it uses far less pellets than the Yoder...which might give the smoke output advantage to the Yoder. It is hard to tell visually which one puts out more smoke because the exhausts are so different....taste wise the Yoder was awesome IMO...the 2nd butt I did on the Memphis I thought was about on par with what I did on the Yoder (the first one was too light in the smoke flavor IMO)...so jury is still out on if the smoke flavor of the Memphis is as good as the Yoder, but it is close for sure.

Grilling wise the Yoder did great with grill grates and my results were quite good...the Memphis is much more powerful though...can cook 700 degrees indirectly (400 max on the Yoder according to their recommendations without taking out the trap door). The direct flame grilling on the Memphis is very strong...can get upwards of 1000 degrees, so when searing steaks, etc you are looking at 30 seconds max per side if trying to use an Open Flame Mode

Both great cookers, but I would say the Yoder is more of a bbq pit which does good at grilling and excellent at smoking....and the Memphis more of a wood fired oven that is excellent at grilling and very good at smoking...more powerful, more versatile and more refined IMO. In dollars and cents, not sure if the Memphis is 2-3 times better based on cost??? It is a fine piece of machinery though and I never have to worry about rust (which always bugged me with the Yoder as I had pretty good rust within 6 months of owning it)

Thanks from:--->