MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:42 AM   #1
saxart
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default The flying saucer

New guy here. Last weekend I finally used the small steel barrel I've had for a few years to build a Mini-UDS. I'll let the build pics speak for themselves, and then I have a question.......

The barrel with vent holes drilled in:

It snowed the day of the burn-in:

Barrel cleaned up with rotary wire brush and elbows welded on:

1" valves put on, then some paint:

Charcoal basket:

Added some stainless steel supports to the vent pipes and the Weber Smokey Joe Lid:

The build went well, but I'm hoping someone with more experience can clear up some confusion for us. Would be 'smart' to use a clay saucer between our food and the charcoal basket to even things out and keep the food from "cooking" too fast? Right now there is only about 13" or 14" between the top of the charcoal basket and the grill grate.

Thanks!
saxart is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2013, 06:35 AM   #2
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Nice build (its funny how most UDS's are not very "ugly") and welcome to the forum. I'll let more knowledgeable Brothers answer your question, but a clay saucer baffle sounds pretty smart to me.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:02 PM   #3
saxart
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Dw-
Thanks for the warm welcome. This looks like a great site with lots of info!

Does anyone else have thoughts about the saucer question?
saxart is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2013, 09:31 PM   #4
71-South
is One Chatty Farker

Some people use them with great success. I bought a 16" pizza cooling pan and enlarged the holes near the center to even out the heat. That's my diffuser.

Yoder YS640 / UDS / Mini WSM
---
Hackers -n- Hogs Competition BBQ Team
Harrisonville/Lee's Summit, Missouri
Grip it. Rip it. Let the big hog eat!
71-South is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #5
BobM
Babbling Farker

Congrats on a really nice looking build!
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote