Want to know your Table Number?

Brewmaster

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I was talking to a friend of mine about the Scoring Detail we receive after a contest. He had an idea, I thought was a very cool idea, and I want to know what you all think.

Some of you are more familiar with the judging process than I am, so I don't know if it is even possible. He thought it would be nice to see the table number our turn-in made it to.

I thought this would be very beneficial in determining if a certain judge scored each turn-in low or if they just didn't care for my entry. I also think it would kind of neat to see who's turn-in was on the same table.

What are your thoughts?

Cheers,
Nate

The table would be fairly easy to include if the program allows it. However, we are not numbered as judges at that table so you would not be able to follow my score from one entry to the next by where it is listed on anyones sheet. I might be entered as judge number one for chicken and judge number 5 for pork.

Last edited:
The table would be fairly easy to include if the program allows it. However, we are numbered as judges at that table so you would not be able to follow my score from one entry to the next by where it is listed on anyones sheet. I might be entered as judge number one for chicken and judge number 5 for pork.

I think that would be something easily changed, were you would be Judge 5 on Table 6 for the whole contest. Again I'm not real familiar with the data entry portion of the scores, but don't you agree?

Yeah. I like that idea. That way, I can find out who scored my turn-in low and then go "talk some sense into them". :tsk:

I think that pretty much defeats the purpose of a "double blind" judging system, don't you? :confused:

You should just start cooking FBA. they actually put together the best scoresheet in bbq. You can actually learn something about your bbq from those scoresheets.

I'll second that. I started in FBA and when I moved to KCBS and saw my first score sheet, I thought there was a mistake/missing info. KCBS sheet isn't too helpful.

I suspect this is why we will never have any idea who actually judged our stuff...

I really don't want to know who judged my entry.

I want to know if a judge was constant in scoring across all the categories. Or if it was really my entry they didn't like.

I think this information would give the cook a better idea if they needed to change something or if they got on a bad table.

No one wants to know the judges name just the table number and judge number(1-6). I think the amount of info you could glean about your BBQ would be impressive.
You could see if one table consistently gave higher scores.
You could see if a judge consistently gave low scores across categories.
You could more quickly decide if changes were for the better or worse.

I third the FBA scoresheet. The judges are given a unanimous numbers so you dont know who they are.
You can see what teams were on your table, How the table did overall and they try to make it so you get different judges for each meat category. It is very helpful. It lets you know if your on the right track or not. I've been 11th in chicken twice but still had the best score on my table. Just the luck of the draw but at least I know I dont have to start changing things up. You can also see everyone else's scores so you can see where your getting beat at. M@

I third the FBA scoresheet. The judges are given a unanimous numbers so you dont know who they are.
You can see what teams were on your table, How the table did overall and they try to make it so you get different judges for each meat category. It is very helpful. It lets you know if your on the right track or not. I've been 11th in chicken twice but still had the best score on my table. Just the luck of the draw but at least I know I dont have to start changing things up. You can also see everyone else's scores so you can see where your getting beat at. M@

I've never competed in a FBA comp, but this sound very similar to the idea that is being put forth here.

I always felt like if I won my table, I did all I can do. LIke you said, it let you know if you were on the right track and just hit a tough table.

No one wants to know the judges name just the table number and judge number(1-6). I think the amount of info you could glean about your BBQ would be impressive.
You could see if one table consistently gave higher scores.
You could see if a judge consistently gave low scores across categories.
You could more quickly decide if changes were for the better or worse.

Better yet, this info would allow KCBS to follow a judges performance and rate them. Which, I thing is needed in that we as cooks fund the bulk of this endeavour and deserve to have the BEST judges, not just judges.

With KCBS, a different table judges each of your categories.

So if you know what table you had, you would have to find the other 5 teams that had that table? Right?

KCBS has in the works a plan to track judges. Not implemented yet. That idea needs a chance to work first. Before a team who is angry and in the heat of the moment
have a chance to track down a judge, who by the way is only identified by their number.

Just read some of the above comments, this could get ugly fast. That would not be good for KCBS or BBQ.

The double blind barrier of judges not knowing what team the entry is from and the cooks not knowing who judged the entry needs to be preserved. The integrity of the system KCBS devised and preventing intimidation of anyone requires some kind of
buffer.

One practical note: teams don't get the judging sheets til after the awards ceremony which is a couple of hours after judging is done. At least at our contest, the majority of judges have already left for home by then.

While the idea of getting better feedback about an apparent low score is a good one, the unintended consequences of what you suggest would be bad for BBQ. IMHO.

Thank you for your opinion, but I have to disagree.

You would not need to find all the other teams and what table they had. It would be printed on the score sheet right after Judge #6 score. There could be a column that would list the table number.

If it works for FBA, why would it now work for KCBS? Maybe KCBS can lean something from FBA.

And why can't you still make it double blind. They change the team numbers. Why can't they change the judge's number?

As I said before, I don't want to know who the judge is or even talk to them. I want to know if they consistently scored low at my table and across all the categories. Or if they didn't care for my entry and I need to make some changes.

With KCBS, a different table judges each of your categories.

So if you know what table you had, you would have to find the other 5 teams that had that table? Right?

KCBS has in the works a plan to track judges. Not implemented yet. That idea needs a chance to work first. Before a team who is angry and in the heat of the moment
have a chance to track down a judge, who by the way is only identified by their number.

Just read some of the above comments, this could get ugly fast. That would not be good for KCBS or BBQ.

The double blind barrier of judges not knowing what team the entry is from and the cooks not knowing who judged the entry needs to be preserved. The integrity of the system KCBS devised and preventing intimidation of anyone requires some kind of
buffer.

One practical note: teams don't get the judging sheets til after the awards ceremony which is a couple of hours after judging is done. At least at our contest, the majority of judges have already left for home by then.

While the idea of getting better feedback about an apparent low score is a good one, the unintended consequences of what you suggest would be bad for BBQ. IMHO.

And why can't you still make it double blind. They change the team numbers. Why can't they change the judge's number?

Pretty sure KCBS is a single blind system folks, the IBCA ticket system is an example of a double blind.

All I wanna know is do I need to reactivate my concealed weapons permit when I come to judge?

Last edited:

I’m a cook. I know a lot of my fellow cooks and I would like more feedback on what the judges were thinking. I don’t care who the judge is…don’t have any interest in “setting them straight”, but I would like to know why they scored the way they did. For example when I’m given a “6,6,6,” by a judge, and two sets of “9,9,9”s on the same box all I can take away is confusion.

IMHO, comment cards are way underutilized. I received ONE last week. Comments: “dry”. Our team number was on the card and that’s it…didn’t even tell me what the meat category was. When we took to back to the KCBS rep it was simply torn up and we were told “there’s nothing we can do about it”. Seems like if there was a way to provide more feedback there would be less interest in knowing who the actual judge was.

I have heard there is some interest in gathering data on judges for the purposes of evaluation and education by KCBS, and I know this data can be fairly easily captured and compiled if there is a desire to do so. I’ve also heard there has been resistance in the judging community.

Last edited:
Thank you for the correction. Like I said I'm not all that familiar with the data entry portion.

Pretty sure KCBS is a single blind system folks, the IBCA ticket system is an example of a double blind.

Back