MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Cattle Call !!!

Notices

Cattle Call !!! Introducing... The Brethren.. Put your Bios here, a mug shot, a picture of your toys..Tell us who u are. Threads will lock down after 7-10 days to avoid post pumps on old introductions. Please avoid responding after thread is over a week old. DO NOT PITCH ANY PRODUCTS IN THIS FORUM, OR TRY TO VEIL A PITCH AS AN INTRODUCTION. IF YOUR SELLING IT, DON'T MENTION IT.

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 11:26 AM   #1
Mark
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mark
Default Mark (STL) bio of sorts

I live in St. Peters, MO (about 25 Mi. west of St. Louis) with my wife of 25 years and son (20) in school. I'm a Vietnam vet (volunteered; but was in "the rear with the beer").

Like many of you, I started out with a bullet smoker. I've had my Bandera since June of 2K. A few weeks ago, I bought something that could be described as a Weber kettle on steroids that I am very impressed with. I'm making an extension between the base and lid for smoking large quantities.

I think a local bash is a good idea. I've got plenty wood and several types. What else?

Mark

Old 08-26-2003, 09:35 PM   #2
StLouQue

Mark,
Welcome. Did you come over from the Yahoo site? I've been with these folks about two months and have learned a lot. I think I've seen pictures of what you're planning for your Weber. Let us know how that works, willya? Where do you get your wood by the way?

Old 08-27-2003, 07:22 AM   #3
Mark

Default reply to Steve (STL)

Yep; came over from Yahoo. About making the Weber kettle (and similar) into a smoker. There is a link on this web site to something called a thunder pit. Basically, it's a 1" extension ring made of 22 guage stainless that cost about $110. However, I get no reply from the guy about how to buy one. And his design has no access door. So I went to a local scrap yard and bought more than enough materials to make one. They also had some new 22.5 inch aluminum domes that must have been "seconds" for making the ends of pressure vessles which I will use for a wok. All of this cost me $11.

Also the diameter of a standard 55 gasllon drum is 22.5" (the same as a full-size Weber kettle) so a chunk of that should be a good way to do it as well.

I get my wood from friends who have small orchards plus another friend who sells firewood. He's got red & white oak and hickory. I trade him que. If you need some wood let me know.

Mark (STL)
Old 08-27-2003, 08:44 AM   #4
Mark

Default my other smoker

BTW: I just uploaded a pic of my $80 other smoker; the Weber on steroids. It's in the miscellaneous pictures section. Here's some specs

List Price: $540.60

OmniFlame Features:
Twin Stainless Steel Control Dampers
Temperature Gauge for Grilling and Smoking
Wood & Grill Racks
Fire Screen with Access Door for Adding Wood
Base Pan with Drip Free Bottom & Stainless Steel Access Door
Patented Large Firewood Flame Disk Bowl
Type 1 UL® Listed Regulator Control Valve & Hose
All Welded Powder Coated Cooker Stand with High BTU Burner System
Weight: 100lbs.

The burner puts out 150,000 BTU/hr. That's more than enough to heat my whole house.

Mark (STL)
Closed Thread