• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Credit Card Machines for Road Side Vending

HBMTN

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
What are your thought? Those that operate a catering or vending business do you accept credit cards? I myself never carry cash so if I were to see a road side BBQ set up and I wanted some I would have to find an ATM if they did not take cards and for me I would most likely go on down the road if an ATM was not right there. Those that have them, what is the process and cost to get set up to take them? Any monthly fees other than the transaction % fee? Who is a good company to talk with about this or do you go through your bank to get them? Also for wireless operation will a Blackberry give you the needed acces to make a transaction? Thanks for your input!

For about the same price just carry a laptop with internet connection and use a paypal acct. I hate paypal, but its easier than setting up a POS(point of service).

Customer will give you their credit card, you can type it all into the boxes into paypal and bam, transaction processed. If you need help with this route let me know. I ran an online auto parts business years ago and it would be no different than what you are trying to do, minus the internet i guess(road side internet could be difficult)
kris

There are card swipers that connect via cell transaction. Not sure about cost or feasabilty, but a seasonal fireworks stand up here uses one.

There are card swipers that connect via cell transaction. Not sure about cost or feasibility, but a seasonal fireworks stand up here uses one.
I looked into those. They require some serious volume to be worthwhile... There is a pretty hefty up-front fee, a steep % of per transaction fee, and equipment rental.

Better bet would be to go with SUPRFAST and have a laptop with wi-fi and use paypal.

You can setup an account with your bank that will allow you to take info manually then each evening you can enter it on their website. I haven't done it yet but talked to a craft vendor at the Farmers Market who does it. I siad couldn't do it and she came back with cash.

In the late 90's I had a traveling retail business (flea market sales.) At that time I was able to get a unit that connected via a cell phone, processed, approve or decline, print duplex invoice for signature, create batch report (end of day report) and transmit info. My rates were 1.85% plus $.25 per transaction. That translated to $2.10 for a $100.00 transaction. I jumped on it. If ya can't discount about 2% for a hundred dollar sale you are pricing your stuff without enough margin. My sale items were mostly higher dollar for the flea market, $50 to $100. Credit card sales ended up accounting for 30-50% of sales depending on time of month, so it was well worth it. Again, this was 12-13 years ago, so I have no idea what costs can be incurred these days. The internet is your friend, use it to search out the best deals... Good Luck!

PS, you can also save "cash advance" charges and interest rates this way. Use your own card and run it through as a sale item. No extra fee for "cash advance" and a lower interest rate. Hard to beat, but don't ask me to comment on ethics of it... LOL

I see some of these wireless POS units at the Gun Shows. Seems many times people are walking around trying to find a decent signal!

I have the Iphone App and it works great also i ended up buying a netbook and using paypal also that works great also

Im currently looking into an enter online system thru a bank and the only up front is a 75 dollar set up and 19.99 a month plus .25 pertransaction plus 1.85%. htats alot of plusing for the transactions but a 50 dollar sale would be about 53.00 round about.

I think Im gonna go with the paypal option with a laptop. Ill let ya know how it goes

I use PayPal for catering clients and love the flexibility even if it charges higher rates than others. With PayPal I know exactly what I'm going to pay per transaction no matter if customer is using a rewards card or regular card and have no monthly fees, and I can easily integrate it into my web site and create an online store easily.

Sell them some meal cards. Something like $20 cards. Then they come back and you don't have to worry about giving change. Just price so it is even dollars.

As a consumer and former business owner, I think you're crazy not to have some way for folks to use a credit/debit card. You now have many options to just explore and find the one that works best for you.

Back