logo

So you want to make 125 gal of Brunswick stew today?

beerguy

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
As some of you know, Brauma and his church edlers have been making Brunswick stew as a church fundraiser for the last 30 yrs or so. Brauma is now the chief cook, as the elders are in there late 70's and early 80's. I've been helping out for at least 12 years off and on, and this has gotten bigger and better every year. This year they had seven cast iron pots, that averaged 18 gals apiece, fueled only by wood and stirred with birdeyes maple "oars" that Brauma's dad made 30 years ago. To me, it's like stepping back in time, to a Norman Rockwell scene, a piece of Americana, as a rural church comes together with fellowship and fun, and a lot of hard work and long hours in order to raise money for community service throughout the year. I hope you enjoy these pictures and feel some pride that America still exists as it did when we were kids, even though it's a different world.

Brunswickstew08004.jpg

Brunswickstew08003.jpg

Brunswickstew08006.jpg

Brunswickstew08007.jpg

Wow. How many people do you think you fed? Looks like a pretty hot job. Nice work.

Lots of hard work for a great cause.
Thanks to all the folks who pitched in to make this great project work.
That looks like contious stirring with that amount of heat applied to those cast iron pots.
I would have loved to tried the stew, heard its great but nothing like that around these parts of the country.

Wow. How many people do you think you fed? Looks like a pretty hot job. Nice work.

Not sure how many people. We made approx 300 quarts plus 17.62 bowls :wink: (inside joke)

Here are a few more pics

Stew08005Medium.jpg

My dad - the original stewmaster

Stew08006Medium.jpg

Rick aka BeerGuy

Stew08012Medium.jpg

Rick "quarting" the stew

Stew08013Medium.jpg

The band. Bluegrass of course

Stew08015Medium.jpg

Our humble little church built 1927

Stew08017Medium.jpg

I guess my invite blew off the mantle, but nice looking stew and pots y'all have! By any chance, might one of you post the recipe? Looks like a wonderful day, and I hope you made a lot of money for the church.

Guy, that looks so good! :shock: I could eat the heck outta that! :-D

What's "Brunswick stew"? :confused:

No offense meant, i'm truly ignorant of it... being from Texas gives me an excuse for being like I am. :biggrin:

Anyway.. what's in it?, what's the base? :?:

Here's my recipe for 4 pots averaging 20 gal each. You'll have to do the math.

Recipe for 4 pots:

• 12 gal. butterbeans
• 12 gal. corn
• 12 gal. tomatoes (must be crushed tomatoes)
• 60 lbs. potatoes
• 30 lbs. onions
• 45 lbs. beef
• 50 lbs. chicken
• 4 turkey breasts
• One stick of margarine in each pot
• One cup of sugar in each pot

Salt & pepper to taste.

Everything is cut and cooked in advance. This is the way we do it because we need to serve the public at 9 AM. If you are having an afternoon party you can chuck everything in the pot and let in simmer all day.

Brunswick Stew started in Brunswick county, VA. Sorry Noah, Brunswick GA claims to be the originator too but for this thread it started in VA! :mrgreen:

Here's more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brunswick_stew

Note the can of Mrs. Fearnows. This is proof Brunswick Stew is from VA :lol: That product has been made on Hope Farm in Mechanicsvile, VA for as long as I've been alive. If you can find it in your local store, its pretty close to what we make.

But one thing is for sure: making the stew in cast iron pots over an open fire adds a lot of taste!! I know of other churchs and fire depts that make it in big stainless pots over a propane fire :roll: I wouldnt even go smell it much less eat it. Its just not the same.

I dont think we mentioned this: we started at 4 AM

Brunswickstew08001.jpg

Good times. I'm pretty sore this morning but I cant wait to do it again. Next year! :lol:

All the broth from cooking the beef and chicken is also saved and added back into the pots when the cooked and shredded meat is put into the mix. Acorns are optional (inside joke, we cook under huge trees and must be careful none fall into the pots or the dipping and filling station), as are squirrels and other rodents.

Back