• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Boston Butts

kickassbbq

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
A fellow visited my web site and said I was an idiot for smoking a Boston Butt for 12-14 hours at 225. He said he smokes them at 225 for 6 hours and they are done perfect.
I did verify the fact that I am an idiot, but that has nothing to do with smokin'.
I suggested he check his actual smoker temp with an oven thermometer. I really do not think you can smoke a Butt to an internal temp of 195 in 6 hours at 225 with an additional hour at 300 and get it to 195.
I told him a Fast Cook Method takes 4.5-5 hours at 375-400 for an internal of 195.
I also told him time in the smoker has nothing to do with it. It's the internal temp of meat that means it is done, not time in a smoker!!!!!
I think he may have a Microwave smoker!!!!!!!!!!! I want one!!!!!
What do you guys think?
Smoke On!!!!!!

Ask him to define "perfect"

............ my last was really small _ 3.4 lbs_ (this past week-end) and I was well over 6 hours getting it to 196*F. I actually tried something from a post here and foiled after 4 hours (it was about 185*F), moved to Broilmaster until 196*F and then (unfoiled) back to BGE for 90 minutes to 'set' the bark. There was a good amount of juice in the foil which I mixed with some Blue Collar sauce and used bear claws to pull the pork. I ended up with 2.3 lb of the most tender, terrific tasting p-p so far!

In response to your post ..... I don't trust any substitute for 'Low & Slow' ... which for me means something very close to 225*F chamber temp.

Six hours at 225°? Ask him how big that sucker was. I'll bet it was a pork chop. ;)

Arlin_MacRae said:
Six hours at 225°? Ask him how big that sucker was. I'll bet it was a pork chop. ;)
Maybe a butt sliced into country ribs?

Arlin_MacRae said:

You got that right! I did one 7 lbs sunday 10.5 hrs to hit 195. Man it was good! :mrgreen:

jt said:
Maybe a butt sliced into country ribs?

My thoughts exactly. Either that or he's slicing it up after cooking like you do a loin. I imagine it would be pretty tough to pull apart. Of course, I guess everyone has their own definition of perfect.

Rule of thumb, 7lber, 10 hours at 225-250. Do the math.

10 hours = 600 minutes / 7lb = 85 minutes per lbs.

He did one in 6 hrs which is 360 minutes / 85min per lb = 4.2

so.. he cooked a 4.2 lb butt. Must've got it from Paris Hiltons pet Pig.

Phil,

Two observations:

a) You're a mathemagician
b) You know too much about Paris Hilton

chit, if i was a mathamagician I'd wave my wand at her and have her leave cash..

and BTW.....

chit.. StLouQues here!!!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap someone close the door before he escapes again!!! :tongue:

BBQchef33 said:
chit, if i was a mathamagician I'd wave my wand at her and have her leave cash..

and BTW.....

chit.. StLouQues here!!!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap someone close the door before he escapes again!!! :tongue:

Careful, she seems to make a habit of taping men that wave their wands....

the real idiot is the guy who didn't get your name Kick Ass BBQ who big a boy r ya?

jt said:
Ask him to define "perfect"

My first thought too. He might get a small butt up past 140 degrees in that time, and if he considers that "done"??? perfect.

I did a 7# shoulder a couple weeks back at 225* and it was barely at 140* internal temp at the 6 hour mark.

Unfortunately I decided to let it FINISH COOKING so I don't know what it tasted like at that point, but I have a pretty good idea...chit! :mrgreen:

And I did an eight pounder at close to 300° and it took under six hours to hit 190°. I'll do it that way from now on!

Time can be shortened if you slice.

I used to have an electic water smoker that cooked right at 212 degrees. At the time I had read that a Boston Butt should take 1 1/2 hours per pound. So I cooked a 5 pounder for about 7 hours, pulled it off at about 160 internal and sliced it for sandwiches. (Had to-a crowd was waiting to eat.) It was great, tender and flavorful, but you couldn't have pulled it.

yeah...he's cookin at much higher temps than 225...either that, or he's wrapping in foil early and cranking it up...OR as the others here have stated, it was a smaller butt he was cooking.

Back