MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:10 AM   #1
EnsitMike
Got rid of the matchlight.

Lightbulb All about your grill - Part 1

Hey everyone!

New to this forum, but here for a purpose. I am going to be vague in this first post, because I want to get all of your opinions in a non-biased way. To cut to the chase, I've got a couple questions for you all.

What are your favorite innovations in grilling, your preferred grill and why, your most useful grilling accessories, anything that makes the grilling life easier, and anything else you consider to be a necessity, irreplaceable, or downright great for a day of grilling.

Also, the opposite. What do you hate that may come with grilling? Things that are a hassle that shouldn't be, and any other things you just wish your grill did or something you wish was in your grilling toolbox.

Let's get to part 2 and have some fun
EnsitMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2013, 03:29 AM   #2
OregonBoy
Got Wood.

This website is about BBQ'ing with a side of reverse searing.
OregonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-12-2013, 03:42 AM   #3
EnsitMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonBoy View Post
This website is about BBQ'ing with a side of reverse searing.
Shoot, so you're saying only slow cooking here?

Old 01-12-2013, 03:51 AM   #4
OregonBoy
Got Wood.

Haha no I was just teasing.
OregonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2013, 04:02 AM   #5
EnsitMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonBoy View Post
Haha no I was just teasing.
You got me hahaha

I know enough about grilling to know BBQ guys are better than me, so I though you were dead serious haha.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:51 AM   #6
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnsitMike View Post
Hey everyone!

New to this forum, but here for a purpose. I am going to be vague in this first post, because I want to get all of your opinions in a non-biased way. To cut to the chase, I've got a couple questions for you all.

What are your favorite innovations in grilling, your preferred grill and why, your most useful grilling accessories, anything that makes the grilling life easier, and anything else you consider to be a necessity, irreplaceable, or downright great for a day of grilling.

Also, the opposite. What do you hate that may come with grilling? Things that are a hassle that shouldn't be, and any other things you just wish your grill did or something you wish was in your grilling toolbox.

I have a Sears Stainless Pro Series Grill which is built to look like a great product, but really is a cheap made in China grill. I should have bought the Weber which was the same price, but the sears had a work table on each end. Hindsight is golden ...LOL

I do not use the grill for much anymore except to finish chicken, make kabobs, or for burgers and dogs.

My accessory that I use the most on the grill are tongs...

Now with the smoker the accessories are many....

Last edited by IamMadMan; 01-12-2013 at 08:40 AM..
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2013, 05:23 AM   #7
benniesdad
Full Fledged Farker

I will take a shot and give you a vague answer to your vague question.

There are so many innovations in grilling that it is like asking which is your favorite child. My short list would include rotisserie, Weber’s Touch N Go ignition for the Performer, and better grease management systems in gas grills. Most useful, necessary and irreplaceable accessory is without a doubt quality tongs. Close behind that are a charcoal chimney, an instant read thermometer and a timer.

I am not too hung up on one particular grill or gas vs. charcoal. To me my grills are like tools in a toolbox. I use the best one for what I am cooking. Having a variety of grills available helps offset the disadvantages and weaknesses of any particular grill. If I could only have one, it would probably be a Weber kettle grill.

Old 01-12-2013, 05:43 AM   #8
poppa smoke
Knows what a fatty is.

This question sounds like a vague attempt at product research of some kind or the other. If someone has to ask questions like this they just dont get it . Smoking and grilling are a passion any hassell is dealt with at the moment and useless tools are placed in the garage sale box
poppa smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-12-2013, 06:02 AM   #9
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnsitMike View Post
Hey everyone!

Random thoughts during my morning coffee.....

Love kamado grill.....temp control and moisture retention is best I've seen....wish mine was bigger, though. A XL BGE is in my near future.

The stone diffuser on mine is awesome for indirect cooking. It's a must-have.

Quality fuel is important. I prefer lump. I like large pieces.

I like fruit woods, too.

Good tongs are the ticket. I like the gripper to be somewhat flat. Some are too tall and I'll take pliers and flatten them so they can get under the bow of a slab of tender ribs with ease. Wife likes hers falling off the bone...the right tongs make plating them easy work.

High quality rubs over an initial painting of extra virgin olive oil makes all the difference. I got started with Dizzy Pig BBQ rubs and found every one of them to my liking. Now I use those and many more.

Turbinado sugar is your friend.

Those rubber gripper things are handy for opening jars of pickles and bbq sauces (best sauces I've used don't come in squeeze bottles ).

Bottle opener near the pit is a must have (some of the best beers don't twist off ).

Keep your cast iron products oiled properly to ensure a long service life.

After the meal is done and others are cleaning up the dining area and kitchen is when I clean up my grill. Don't let it wait till the next day.

Keep your cover over your grill when not in use.

Grill out all year long...don't be a seasonal griller. Cook enough to enjoy leftovers during the workweek for lunch.

A Maverick dual probe thermometer with remote read is a great item to have.

Let your pit area be a place of relaxing and enjoyment. I can feel my stress level diminish greatly as I fire up the coals.......

Old 01-12-2013, 06:41 AM   #10
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

If I was stranded on an island and could only have one grill it would be my 22.5 kettle. I can do anything on it. It warms my heart.

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2013, 06:49 AM   #11
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubfromGA View Post

Grill out all year long...don't be a seasonal griller. Cook enough to enjoy leftovers during the workweek for lunch.
Amen! There's no reason to wait for warm weather or even a lack of rain. I do sometimes end up changing what I do in different seasons though. For example, smoking cheese in the winter.

Chris

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2013, 06:59 AM   #12
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smoke View Post
This question sounds like a vague attempt at product research of some kind or the other. If someone has to ask questions like this they just dont get it . Smoking and grilling are a passion any hassell is dealt with at the moment and useless tools are placed in the garage sale box
Asa a member,

I kinda agree... just be up front with your intentions...this way people can chose if they want to give their free info to someone looking to make a profit down the road.

As a moderator,

If this Part 1 thing is just the first of many questions/research, I'd suggest you share wih the moderator team know via PM what you are looking to accomplish.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2013, 07:54 AM   #13
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Weber kettle, lump charcoal fire, smoke wood, meat, salt, pepper, and beer. Not necessarily in that order!

Old 01-12-2013, 08:14 AM   #14
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

I'm biased. I'm a fan of Weber products (though not all) and have kettle grills, gassers and smokers made/sold by them.

Particular aspects include:

Porcelain coating that's durable enough to keep these going for decades.

Grill cover that allows use during winter months (easily down to zero F, colder if you're tough enough)

Gas igniter in my Performer 'cause I'm a lazy bastage.

Smoker designed to hold a lot of food and run a long time without much messing around.

Cast iron grates - found on property when we moved in in '87 - that are heavy and fit both my gasser and kettle.

26" kettle that can fit big things like a big turkey or lots of things like beef back ribs or chickens.

Remote reading thermometer (ET-73 and ET-732) so I can monitor a long smoke w/out running outside every couple minutes.

There's not much I don't like about grilling and smoking. My tools are adequate to the job and do not limit my results.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:35 AM   #15
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

These are the two items that I won't do without when grilling. I light the coals with the weedburner and am ready to cook in 5 minutes. I dump the ash and hot coals in the can, close the lid and put it in a safe place to cool down while I clean up and store my grill. I don't have to wait hours for the grill to snuff out the fire. I can grill burgers or steaks on weeknights and be done in 30 minutes with everything cleaned up and put away ready for next time.