MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-29-2009, 06:34 PM   #181
Old Hippie
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txschutte View Post
Measure a farkin' drum......
I don't have a farkin' drum yet.

Quote:
read a farkin' thread, and you would realize that most 55 gal. drums are accomodating 22.5" equipment. SHEESH!!
I have been reading, off and on for a about a month.

Then why are some cutting, grinding, welding and all this other stuff if they are "accommodating 22.5" equipment"?

The correct spelling is accommodating. SHEESH!

Old 08-29-2009, 06:45 PM   #182
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

1. if you get an open headed drum, and it includes the lid, you can use the lid.

2. if you get an open headed drum and it does not have the lid, you can use a Weber lid or any other 22.5" lid.

3. if you get a closed headed drum, then you have to cut out the top of the drum, if you want to use a dome lid.

4. if you get a closed headed drum and you want a flat top drum, then you have to cut off the top while leaving at least an inch of the drum sides to flare out.

Norco's video shows him cutting out the top of the drum to allow for the use of a dome lid on a drum that was originally a closed headed drum. I would suggest you go figure out you needs first and proceed from there. I would say, use a dome lid, try and find an open top drum and see where you end up. There is never going to be a right way to get this done, the wrong way is gonna be to not get started. Like me.

By the way, closed headed drums are almost always cheaper, at least around here, than the open headed ones. Dome lids will give you more capacity than flat lids. UDS units are not any better based on how much thought is put into it, it is a low budget, recycled, shade tree unit that is best when built and used, not over-engineered and un-built. Unless you got a smoker already, go get you a drum and build something. Norco is a good guy to learn from.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2009, 06:47 PM   #183
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Funny, my CHILD knew to buy a 22.5" grate for his drum. WOW.

Research. Research. Research. Despite all the BS, I'll be very happy to guide you along the way. Just PM or ask. I'm here to help, OK?

Drums that are 55 gal. are usually ACCOMODATING to 22.5" equipment. Therefore, a Weber, Uniflame, or any other equivalent of a 22.5" ROUND kettle grille is useable. The lid, the cooking grate, and the lower lip bolted onto your 55 gal drum is a great combination. A few with a bit of common sense would deduce that if a Weber donor would work, why wouldn't a Uniflame, Chargriller, Fisher-Price, or whatever work?

This place has archives of pics, tutorials, and other material for you to embellish upon, so have at it.

Just SEARCH.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-01-2009, 07:50 AM   #184
ShortEnd
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Ash pan question for Norco

First, thanks for the excellent tutorial on building a UDS. I'm in the process of gathering materials for my first build. Haven't located my barrel yet, so maybe this is getting ahead of the process. I noticed somewhere you posted a picture of a Uniflame that you used as an ash pan. Can you tell me what diameter it is? I looked all over for a Uniflame and could only find a smaller one (looked to be about 13"). I didn't think that would be big enough. It's the end of season here so inventories are very low. I did find a BBQ Pro that is 18". Will that work, or will it be too big? I'm looking for a barrel that will work with the Weber Kettle lid.

This tutorial rocks! Thanks!
ShortEnd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2009, 08:05 AM   #185
Norcoredneck

It is just a cheap kinda one use grill i get at the market. I have seen them at Walmart. Here is a video
http://s239.photobucket.com/albums/f...t=VID00107.flv

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2009, 08:07 AM   #186
Norcoredneck

Ok let's see your Butt!

Last edited by Norcoredneck; 09-01-2009 at 09:18 AM..

Old 09-01-2009, 08:14 AM   #187
Norcoredneck

Quote:
Funny, my CHILD knew to buy a 22.5" grate for his drum. WOW.

Research. Research. Research. Despite all the BS, I'll be very happy to guide you along the way. Just PM or ask. I'm here to help, OK?

Drums that are 55 gal. are usually ACCOMODATING to 22.5" equipment. Therefore, a Weber, Uniflame, or any other equivalent of a 22.5" ROUND kettle grille is useable. The lid, the cooking grate, and the lower lip bolted onto your 55 gal drum is a great combination. A few with a bit of common sense would deduce that if a Weber donor would work, why wouldn't a Uniflame, Chargriller, Fisher-Price, or whatever work?

This place has archives of pics, tutorials, and other material for you to embellish upon, so have at it.

Just SEARCH.
Simple Solution Brother.
http://www.amazon.com/Weber-731001-S.../dp/B001I8ZTJA

Ok let's see your Butt!

Old 09-01-2009, 09:08 AM   #188
Tweedle
Full Fledged Farker

Quick question because I had a hard time understanding but I think no matter what was in the barrels its fine as long as they are burned out and scrubbed...

The reason I ask is I can get 50+ 55 gallon steel barrels open top with lid and locking band for 5 bucks apiece....
They have to be sold in 5 barrel lots, but that seems to be the price people are paying for 1 barrel so I'm headed out to get them in the morning unless someone says stop...

They had latex paint in them but have been power washed from what I was told....
It sounds almost to good to bet true
Tweedle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2009, 09:17 AM   #189
Norcoredneck

A good burn or 2 should do.

Ok let's see your Butt!

Old 09-01-2009, 09:21 AM   #190
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweedle View Post
Quick question because I had a hard time understanding but I think no matter what was in the barrels its fine as long as they are burned out and scrubbed...

The reason I ask is I can get 50+ 55 gallon steel barrels open top with lid and locking band for 5 bucks apiece....
They have to be sold in 5 barrel lots, but that seems to be the price people are paying for 1 barrel so I'm headed out to get them in the morning unless someone says stop...

They had latex paint in them but have been power washed from what I was told....
It sounds almost to good to bet true
Sounds like a great deal to me.
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2009, 03:23 PM   #191
Tweedle
Full Fledged Farker

Anyone on here sell kits? Get your own barrel and get the kit bang you got a smoker....
Tweedle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2009, 03:51 PM   #192
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweedle View Post
Anyone on here sell kits? Get your own barrel and get the kit bang you got a smoker....
Not much involved parts wise. Mostly labor intensive.
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2009, 04:50 PM   #193
Bob E Que
On the road to being a farker

Default lid question

If I get a closed head drum, and cut the top out, could I use a open head drum lid, until i can find a kettle lid?
The open head drum has the red paint inside while the closed is unlined or I would use it.

I think the lid has red paint on as well. Do I need it to burn it off?

Old 09-01-2009, 05:49 PM   #194
Norcoredneck

Better to wire brush. If you use a weed burner it will warp!

Ok let's see your Butt!

Old 09-21-2009, 06:02 PM   #195
Pole D
is one Smokin' Farker

Hi everybody. I have all of my parts and am just get started on my build.

The drum I have is 34" tall. I am using 3 - 3.50in bolts as feet for the fire basket. So the bottom of the basket will be around 3.25in from the bottom of the drum. Going 24 in up from there puts me at 6.75in from the top of the drum. Is that too close to the top? Also weber lid does not fit.

Can I go any closer to the fire basket or can I use shorter bolts for the feet of the basket?

Since this is my first build I am thinking of going with just one rack and the lid that came with the drum.

Any help is much appreciated.
Pole D is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Tags
DIY Drum Smoker, Homemade Ugly Drum Smoker, How to build a UDS, Norcoredneck, PBC vs UDS, Trailer Treasure, tutorial, uds, UDS Tutorial