MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:35 PM   #1
Iso
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Need some brisket tips

In our last comp this year I changed to a popular commercially available brisket injection and rub. The comments back from the judges were unanimous that the beef was too salty. I thought it was easily my best brisket I'd cooked. Even the public sampling thought it was one of the best they tasted that day based on their feedback.

So I went back to the drawing board and read and researched injections and styles. This weekend I ran another brisket using the same popular injection mixed exactly according to the directions and a commercial brisket rub. Let the brisket sit in the injection overnight. Cooked 10 hours @ 255 using hickory & cherry.

The result was okay. Texture was good maybe slightly undercooked. It didn't have that buttery feel when sticking with the thermometer. Taste was not what I am looking for. The rub was too spicy so it will get relegated to the reject heap. What I didn't like was the lack of that distinct beefy flavor.

Need some tips on how to get a beefier flavor in the beef.
Going to wagyu, Snake River Farms, or Painted Hills isn't a good option. All are outside our budget at the moment. I tend to use Costco briskets or Cash-n-Carry in a pinch.

Thanks,
Bryan

Old 11-19-2012, 03:19 PM   #2
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

What are you mixing your injection with? Some people use less powder than the recommended amount because it can be a bit strong. Cook brisket til its probe tender and then allow for an hour rest minimum, longer is better if you got time. What rub are you using? You might be using too much rub, hard to say.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2012, 03:40 PM   #3
Iso
Knows what a fatty is.

I have been using Kosmo's Cow Cover rub. Just a good handful on each side. Covered but not encased in rub.

At the last comp I used Butcher's mixed with beef broth. This time I just used Butcher's with water only. Used about a cup of injection.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #4
wjwheeler
Full Fledged Farker

After the "country ham" results for a brisket cooked at home, I went from 32 ounces to 48 ounces of water. The rub will also add salt to the mix. For what it's worth, I never use water with chlorine in any of my injections.
MMS Vulcan V33 Gravity Feed with Stoker
Myron Mixon 72XC - Sold
Jumbo J3 - Sold
Jacks Old South Original Patio Smoker
Myron Mixon Pitmaster Q3 36" Barrell & 24" Square
wjwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2012, 03:51 PM   #5
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iso View Post
I have been using Kosmo's Cow Cover rub. Just a good handful on each side. Covered but not encased in rub.

At the last comp I used Butcher's mixed with beef broth. This time I just used Butcher's with water only. Used about a cup of injection.
Sounds a bit strong IMO. I would also use low sodium beef broth too if you are not using it already.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2012, 04:03 PM   #6
jmoney7269
Banned

Kosmos brisket reserve is good stuff. There are lots of different concoctions you can try. I tried bludawgs coffee aujus injection and didn't care for it, but liked the results of herb infused canola oil. At home I use beef base, water, jalapeño juice and garlic juicE. it's what I like, and it tastes damn good to me, but it's nowhere close to my comp brisket. I bet I spent $2k Cookin briskets over the past 2 years getting that profile perfected
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2012, 04:34 PM   #7
smokeyokie
is one Smokin' Farker

I think that the injection for that long a period somewhat cured your brisket, if you are going to let it sit overnite use a marinade with very little or no salt. In my experience injecting is a way to get the marinade flavoring in a shorter amount of time i.e. for comps etc... Thats my .02 I have made some really salty briskets in the past and that is trial and error information... good luck!!!! Smoke on Brother!!
[SIZE=3]maverick ET 732[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]1 really, I mean really UGLY Drum Smoker[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]super fast RED and BLACK thermapens[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]_____________________[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Billy:flame:"Smoke on Brothers and Sisters"[/SIZE]
smokeyokie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2012, 04:50 PM   #8
Iso
Knows what a fatty is.

Interesting. I hadn't thought that the injection sitting overnight would be a problem. Yes, I use low-sodium broth. How long is long enough for letting the injection sit? Or maybe just drop it into the smoke immediately?

Old 11-19-2012, 05:10 PM   #9
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

4 to 8 hours is the max I time I let it sit and I mix it at much smaller ratios than the package calls for.

Also, I have found that my injection should taste the way I want the brisket to taste in terms of salt. If the injection is too salty, I expect a salty brisket. Not good.

Now, we get into taste bud fatigue among the judges. Brisket is the last entry. Their taste buds have been put through quite a work out. Sometimes, a little more salt helps to wake up those buds without tasting salty just because of the pummelling their taste buds have had from chicken, ribs, and pork butt.

But, that's something you will have to work out.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:40 PM   #10
columbia1
is one Smokin' Farker

Brian, email me, and I will give you my phone number
Custom 72" reverse flow smoker, 18" WSM, Weber Elite, ECB. and misc grills.
[URL="https://www.facebook.com/TombstoneBbq?ref=hl"]Tombstone BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
columbia1 is offline   Reply With Quote