1st Comp Trial Run

WineMaster

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Wanted to test our timeline on our comp meats as I have never done it before and our first comp is in May.

I know they are not in boxes
The angle of the photo doent show the 4 Ribs below the others, A total of 8.

If these were in a Turn in box garnished in Putting green fashion, How would the meat do.

Next time well do the boxes.

Thanks for your comments,

Dan

Pork
Pork.jpg

Chicken
Chicken.jpg

Ribs
Ribs.jpg

Brisket
Brisket.jpg

Remember, Its the 1st try so BE NICE

Thanks Dan

Last edited:
pork looks kinda dry, did you sauce?
chicken , nice
ribs, nice
brisket , the front piece looks kinda dry and a little off with the "fat" gap in the middle..

remember I am new to the comp world as well, just mho...

Sal

Pork looks dry to me also. Probably want bigger chunks and get this puppies shining.

Chicken looks pretty good

Ribs look really nice

Brisket - trim the bottom and get rid of the fat. Also are you cutting on a BIAS? The edge looks real long. Also try and get those slices shining.

Good run.

Great first crack.

For the Pork, think more abondanza! Gotta have more meat for the box.
The chicken and ribs look outstanding.
Brisket would be more pleasing to the eye if the slices were roughly the same size instead of going from larger to smaller. That is partly a function of the piece of meat you are working with, but only partly, plus you can choose briskets that will allow for a more evenly sized set of slices.

Brett

Hard to tell the pork size from the pic, with that said and the close up, even out the sauce for presentation purposes. IMO you should have no globs, evenly around almost looking like it is part of the meat. I know easier said then done. Nice job

Thank you very much OC. Ive never competed and am scared as hell but the timeing went great and any advice good or bad is extremely valuable with my level of experience.

Thanks again
Dan

The pork, go for the pink meat. I would leave out the white stuff unless its outstanding or your slicing. Remember, you dont have to turn in a huge pile of meat. Take the best of the best of 2 butts and lay it out nicely. the saucing should be glistening and put on evenly with no clumps or brush strokes.

chicken, hard to tell form the picture. Looks pretty good. Smooth out the skin with a gloved hand moistened in melted butter. Give a nice shine. Kinda like polishing a snowball. Make sure pieces are uniform and trimmed well. Clean and even cuts.

ribs look good.

Brisket. Looks a bit dry. If you turn in the whole slice(flat and point), cover the bottom of the front slice with the garnish so its not as obvious. The 2 section slice tastes great when they get a piece of the point, but u can loose on apperance. I do it by just setting the front piece inot the greens. And try to make cleaner cuts.

and brush them babies with the aujus to get a shine on them.

For the Pork, think more abondanza! Gotta have more meat for the box.

Viginian, not trying to pick on you, just want to use this as an example.

CBJ's are taught to judge the meat, not the amount of meat in the box...That is what they need to do.

I as a CBJ, need things like this pointed out to me to make me remember that instruction!

I don't know if you did that cook this weekend or not, but my team also did a practice run this weekend in Rosemount MN, and had fun freezin' our butts off!

If you are referring to your first comp in May being the Minnesota in May, we will be attending that one as well. Based on your name I presume you are into wine. Perhaps we can both bring a bottle of wine from our cellars and do a mini-tasting Friday evening, as I am a wino as well!

Looks much better than my first turn in boxes, work on the pork and brisket the chicken and ribs look good. On the brisket did you separate the flat and point? Looks like a fat layer going through the middle of the front piece.

If you are referring to your first comp in May being the Minnesota in May, we will be attending that one as well. Based on your name I presume you are into wine. Perhaps we can both bring a bottle of wine from our cellars and do a mini-tasting Friday evening, as I am a wino as well!

I will also be in attendance at this one. And I to consider myself a wine connoisseur. I'll bring a bottle too.

I will also be in attendance at this one. And I to consider myself a wine connoisseur. I'll bring a bottle too.

I'll be there as well. I don't like wine:icon_sick, however, my Ma and Pa have a winery...I'll bring a bottlr of their finest for the cause:-D

I don't know if you did that cook this weekend or not, but my team also did a practice run this weekend in Rosemount MN, and had fun freezin' our butts off!

I own a Wine Business and am sure that I will have at least a case there to settle the nerves.

Looks much better than my first turn in boxes, work on the pork and brisket the chicken and ribs look good. On the brisket did you separate the flat and point? Looks like a fat layer going through the middle of the front piece.

It was a Trimmed Flat from Sams.

What's wrong with Boones? Must be something cause everyone at Waucoma was laughing at me when I was drinking a bottle during the awards.

Back