Killer Sloppy Joe Recipe?

Ron_L

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My wife has been feeling crappy all week and she asked for sloppy joes for dinner tomorrow. Does anyone have a killer sloppy joe recipe to share? I'm going grocery shopping later today.

I don't know about killer, but it seems that everyone in Minnesota has this one (or some variation), so it must be good! :
1 medium onion, diced small
fweck mod - couple cloves garlic, through garlic press or fine chop
1# hamberger browned with the onion and garlic, fat drained off
1 can Campbell's chicken gumbo soup
ketchup and yellow mustard, 3 tbs each or so (to taste)
fweck mod - 1 tbs horseradish
1 tbs pickle relish
simmer until thick
Wife mod - miracle whip on the buns
Mighty tasty, have once every couple of weeks

Favorite thing about Sloppy Joes- Chilli- Tacos is getting the meat grain small like a Coney Sauce. Put a lb of Hamburger in a sauce pan and add a few cups of water. Mix with hand tilll it makes like a Meat Pudding. Then put it on the heat> Browns up much faster cause the water gets hot and evenly cooks the burger. To drain, I put it right in a pasta strainer. Works very well on all things burger that you need to brown the hamburger with.

Dan

I don't know about killer, but it seems that everyone in Minnesota has this one (or some variation), so it must be good! :
1 medium onion, diced small
fweck mod - couple cloves garlic, through garlic press or fine chop
1# hamberger browned with the onion and garlic, fat drained off
1 can Campbell's chicken gumbo soup
ketchup and yellow mustard, 3 tbs each or so (to taste)
fweck mod - 1 tbs horseradish
1 tbs pickle relish
simmer until thick
Wife mod - miracle whip on the buns
Mighty tasty, have once every couple of weeks

Chicken gumbo soup? Really? I'm skeptical. I'll save this and give it a try one day. I may stick with something more traditional for her dinner tomorrow.

My recipe:
1) One can of Manwich
2) Can opener
3) one ib of burger

say what you want, that chit's good.

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 pounds lean ground sirloin or ground turkey
1 onion, chopped
1 tablespoon steak seasoning (recommended: Montreal Steak Seasoning by McCormick)
1 tablespoon chili powder
3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 (14.5-ounce) can tomato sauce
9 soft burger rolls -

Heat the extra-virgin olive oil, a turn of the pan, in a deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add meat and crumble as it browns. Add the onions to the pan and cook to soften, 5 to 6 minutes more. In a bowl mix the spices, sugar, Worcestershire and tomato sauce. Pour sauce over the meat and simmer a few minutes to combine flavors. Slop onto buns and serve.

The chiken gumbo is more of a binder, trust me it's good!
Any other midwesterners want to chime in?

I thought chicken gumbo soup was just a given.
Ya gotta try that tomorow Ron L.
Make two variations and let them be the judge.
Must be a MN thing

Dan

I am a lifelong minnesotan and never heard of that recipe.. We just brown the hamburger
with onion, some ketchup and mustard and season with a little chilli powder.

randy

PS That recipe does sound good though!

I asked the same question a few months ago.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53802&highlight=sloppy+joe

The recipe I ended up with is in that thread. I used Mrs ~t~'s method of cooking the seasonings on top of the meat like her green chili recipe and really liked that. By the way, I've made them several more times for work and the mix freezes really good.

DSC06541JPGa.jpg

The chiken gumbo is more of a binder, trust me it's good!
Any other midwesterners want to chime in?

It is good! That was my Grandfathers favorite recipe. He was not that fond of tomato based Sloppy joes.

Put a lb of Hamburger in a sauce pan and add a few cups of water. Mix with hand tilll it makes like a Meat Pudding. Then put it on the heat> Browns up much faster cause the water gets hot and evenly cooks the burger. Dan
Interesting technique... meat pudding.. Since you have a blue thermopen I will have to try it since we know no one with a BLUE thermopen would lead you astray...

Ronelle, I think if you ate enough of these, they'd kill you.

Killer Sloppy Joe = Sloppy Joe on a Krispy Kreme.

Sloppy+Joe+on+a+Krispy+Kreme.jpg

Fweck, that is the way we made SJ for fundraisers at church, when I was a kid. I grew up here in Iowa, but my parents are both from MN.

I have had good results with this easy one:

• 1 pound lean ground beef
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
  • 3/4 cup ketchup
  • 3 teaspoons brown sugar
  • salt to taste
  • ground black pepper to taste
  1. In a medium skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef, onion, and green pepper; drain off liquids.
  2. Stir in the garlic powder, mustard, ketchup, and brown sugar; mix thoroughly. Reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Check food network.com for the Neeleys Sloppy joes, They were great, bout one of the only things Ive cooked that they have promoted. It has a slight bbq twist on em. But very tasty.

Check food network.com for the Neeleys Sloppy joes, They were great, bout one of the only things Ive cooked that they have promoted. It has a slight bbq twist on em. But very tasty.

Jason, Can you post the recipie.

No Way am I watching a bunch of episodes of that chic that makes me want to chew my arm off so I can Beat myself with it.

Back