MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:20 PM   #1
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Default Grocery Store BBQ

Hi!

Has anyone ever seen a grocery store selling true BBQ? There is a chain here on Long Island that actually has smokers in the stores and sells real low and slow BBQ.

How much of an anomaly is that? It's pretty freakin' unique here. Do you see that in other parts of the country?

Thanks,

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2014, 03:26 PM   #2
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Haven't seen it, but is try it

Old 05-01-2014, 03:44 PM   #3
Tricky
is one Smokin' Farker

I actually thought that wasn't that uncommon in the South (at least going back a decade or two). I visited Ole Miss for a football game a few years ago, and several posters on their fan message board gave me tips for where to get good local Q. A couple of them recommended a grocery store on some highway outside of town.
Rec Tec with bull horns -- UDS (Big Blue) -- 2 Weber kettles -- Weber gasser -- DCS outdoor stainless built-in nat. gasser with smoker box and rotisserie -- Dutch ovens a-plenty -- bright yellow can't-lose-me Thermapen
Tricky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2014, 03:47 PM   #4
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

It's pretty common down south. Especially small locally owned groceries.

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2014, 03:59 PM   #5
DaveAlvarado
is One Chatty Farker

Yeah some grocery stores sell Q, but it's the trailers parked outside gas stations that have the good stuff. :)
DaveAlvarado is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2014, 03:59 PM   #6
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

IIRC, there's a small store in Northern California near Montara/Half Moon Bay that does.

But I haven't seen one down here in SoCal.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:32 PM   #7
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Eric.

We have a small privately owned chain of stores that smokes every weekend. They use Old Hickory smokers and if the wood burns out it automatically switches to propane to finish the overnight cook unattended. Then they start racks of ribs in the morning...
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-01-2014, 04:41 PM   #8
5string
is one Smokin' Farker

Years ago in NorCal, some of the Raley's markets smoked TriTips on site. Then last year while visiting the in-laws in Illinois the local Hi Low market smoked ribs, chicken, and even Chicken Bombs in a cooker out front.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:45 PM   #9
jlane
Full Fledged Farker

We have a chain in Saint Louis that does it. Makes me want to BBQ every time I go there.
jlane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2014, 05:33 PM   #10
saseekutz
Full Fledged Farker

There's a chain by my house that smokes spring through The end of summer. They brought over a nice reverse flow a few days ago to go with the old hickory. The pulled pork they make is actually pretty good
saseekutz is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-01-2014, 06:03 PM   #11
jgame
On the road to being a farker

Some Dierbergs grocery stores in Saint Louis area have smokers on their lots. Nice looking rigs, propane fired. Tended by store employees. Not bad BBQ but I do a better product at home.
jgame is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2014, 06:07 PM   #12
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Nothing like that in this area that I am aware of.
A small chain went out of business a few years ago. My former teammate and I would sell 80 or so racks on Saturdays in the summer. My teammate then moved to Los Vegas and is a teaching chef there now.
The customers said we turned out a very very good rack of ribs when we did it.

"I wish my mind could forget what my eyes have seen. :shocked:"

"Heavily medicated for your protection. :doh:"

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker :mrgreen::clap:[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/"][/URL]
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2014, 06:13 PM   #13
meridian8
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

What's the name of the grocery store on LI and Southern NJ? I would like to try them when in the area.
meridian8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2014, 06:27 PM   #14
tgstrang
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgame View Post
Some Dierbergs grocery stores in Saint Louis area have smokers on their lots. Nice looking rigs, propane fired. Tended by store employees. Not bad BBQ but I do a better product at home.
Yeah Id put my skills up against Uncle Bob's (thinks thats what the call it at Dierbergs) bbq anyday. Actually its not terrible but the prices the charge for it are rediculous. Think they use southern pride smokers or something similiar. Im a schnucks man myself, and go to Rallos a lot for my meat around here. I got some sub-par, super expensive prawns at Dierbergs about a month ago and havent been back.

I'm Thomas, friends call me T
tgstrang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2014, 08:18 PM   #15
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

We have an Iowa chain with stores in surrounding states that sells BBQ. I have seen the spare ribs, but never tried them. I think they are selling them for $15/rack.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote