Stickburners! I found a CHEAP way to start fires!

snyper77

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm a newbie....and I have been using a charcoal chimney (and newspaper) to get some charcoal started.....then pour the hot charcoal onto my wood splits in my Lang firebox.

WELL NO MORE!!!!!!!! That crap takes 30 minutes and probably $2 worth of charcoal. I was thinking about getting a weedburner and propane tanks. NOPE!!!

I ran across a product called Weber Fire Starter Cubes. Comes 24 to a pack for about $4 at Lowes. I only needed ONE to start my fire this weekend. Cost me 17 cents and took only a few seconds.
I broke off about 10 small pieces of kindling from my split wood, piled it on top of one of these cubes, lit the cube with a longneck lighter, done!

images

You seasoned pro's probably already know about these cubes.....but I felt like I struck gold when I tried this method. I'm learning guys! I'm learning! :thumb:

Last edited:
I've seen those but never thought about using them for a wood fire. I will give it a try.

It's all I use to start fires in my stick burner. Those things are awesome!

Thanks, I will be picking these up tomorrow to give them a shot!

Yeap these are great, been using them for about a year now on my chimney:thumb::thumb::thumb:

I use those too for my rotisserie, makes life that little bit easier. :biggrin1:

I use the cubes, and the torch from my work truck.

I use them to light my UDS. Just throw one right in the center and pile some charcoal on top....few minutes later and you've got a nice circle of coals!

They are great, been using them a long time. Put one on kettle grate, chimney of charcoal over top, and whala. Pile charcoal on top of one in egg and you're all set. None of the newpaper ash flying all over the place either. I also take a couple in my hunting bag and vehicles for emergency situations.

The things are simply AMAZING. The cubes are tiny too... like 1"x1". Lights instantly too!!!!! I'm telling you guys, grab a pack of these and start your fires for about 17 cents and only a few seconds of your time.

We make homemade fire starter cubes with the boys in Cub Scouts our of cardboard egg cartons, wax and dryer lint. Pretty easy and even cheaper!

Back