MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:44 PM   #3061
StayDown

I plan on taking some 6061 sheet metal and doing something similar, using a slip roller to get the radius right and mount it to the front of the UDS using stand offs.

Pics to come when it is finished

Old 05-06-2009, 07:56 PM   #3062
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
UDS man shade...
Pretty sweet (as in light on the feet). Show us your Rainbow Drum Big guy.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2009, 08:11 PM   #3063
Tangled Up In Q
Found some matches.

I have two drums that I have been planning to build a double barrel smoker with using the wood stove conv. kits for ( you guys I am sure have seen the plans ) Well after reading this thread for the last week or so, these UDS look easier to build, use, and much less expensive so now I am torn!! What are some opinions out there on the UDS v.s Double Barrel ?? and secondly is it best to cut both ends of the drum out on the UDS, seems I have seen it both ways (unless I am mistaken) Thanks!!!
Tangled Up In Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2009, 08:26 PM   #3064
Barbarian
is One Chatty Farker

Hey Tangled Up In Q,
A lot less work to build a UDS.
Less expensive is my guess.
Cutting both ends depends on what you plan on doing with the bottom of the drum.

My first drum I did that to make it real easy to lift the drum off of a stand that had the charcoal basket on it and clean the ashes up. But I never got a good seal, though I think it is possible. It did not hold temps very well sometimes and just was not good enough. These things really need to be pretty airtight to work well.

Another way is like Jaranimo did which was to build a short little drum out of a donor and weld a lid with the center cut out to the bottom of the UDS. Then you set the UDS on the little drum which is your charcoal basket. I like the idea just cannot do that welding and really don't want to pay for it.

So my second drum has the bottom still there and I built a charcoal basket with an ash pan that I can lift out and clean up. No trying to scrape the ashes out of the bottom of the drum, lazy old fat guy mod, I guess.

I also built a UDG (grill) for steaks, burgers and the like.

Drumhead - UDS x 2 & UDG
Thermopen
Keep on Smokin'
KC native missin' KC
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller 2009
I also support PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2009, 09:16 PM   #3065
JTank70
Knows what a fatty is.

Got my Charcoal Basket done this past weekend.

I finally got to burn my barrel tonight after work. The last couple of weeks has been very dry here with very high fire danger. Finally it rained yesterday and today but stopped late this morning. I took advantage of the break in the rain.

Just got done putting about a 4 hour hurt on the Drum. I'll post more pics when I get her brushed up a bit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smallCIMG2223.JPG (57.2 KB, 1528 views)
File Type: jpg smallCIMG2229.JPG (46.9 KB, 1520 views)
File Type: jpg smallCIMG2234.JPG (80.6 KB, 1521 views)
File Type: jpg smallCIMG2242.JPG (42.5 KB, 1513 views)
File Type: jpg smallCIMG2274.JPG (30.4 KB, 1515 views)
File Type: jpg smallCIMG2277.JPG (46.9 KB, 1509 views)
File Type: jpg smallCIMG2278.JPG (52.7 KB, 1515 views)

Old 05-06-2009, 09:22 PM   #3066
Weiser
is one Smokin' Farker

The basket looks good Tank.
However, you may want to rethink the chain thing unless you are going to use a hook
or enjoy wearing a dirty shirt.

Nice burn too.

Weiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTank70 View Post
Got my Charcoal Basket done this past weekend.

I finally got to burn my barrel tonight after work. The last couple of weeks has been very dry here with very high fire danger. Finally it rained yesterday and today but stopped late this morning. I took advantage of the break in the rain.

Just got done putting about a 4 hour hurt on the Drum. I'll post more pics when I get her brushed up a bit.
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Weiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2009, 09:45 PM   #3067
swamprb

After cooking on Hog-Que-Holics mammoth 96 gallon 2742-2's at the Klose class last weekend, he brought 2 of the 3 he's built- I had to step it up a notch or two.

Here is the Hogman and the Behemoth!

Next to my puny 2339-2!

With David Klose-Legendary pitbuilder!

Those 26" grates are awesome! So - being the cheap bastard I am, unwilling to buy a new one from Grainger like Hoggy- I went to the source! Al's Drums and Barrels on Airport Way in Seattle. Al has been in the business for 60+ years and his father founded Seattle Cooperage in 1916!! He said he rarely gets 96 gallon drums, but does come across 110 gallon drums but they are in high demand in Alaska. He had new 85 gallon 27"x39.5" for $160 or a reconditioned for $80-guess which one I got?

I've wanted to make a Mini with a Weber Smokey Joe and the 14" lid fits perfect on this 15 gallon drum.

Unlined - but the exterior paint has got to go. $100 cash out the door $41 for 26" Weber replacement grates ordered and we be gettin' down!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2009, 09:48 PM   #3068
JTank70
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiser View Post
The basket looks good Tank.
However, you may want to rethink the chain thing unless you are going to use a hook
or enjoy wearing a dirty shirt.

Nice burn too.

Weiser

Thanks Weiser.

I plan on using a hook on the basket. I had the chain kicking around. I will probably go with a t-bar type rig sooner or later though.

The barrel had mango concentrate in it. I did not notice until tonight that it had a sticker on it that read " Feb 12 2009" so I got a youngun.

It had a light tan liner not very thick in it. It looked like it burned out nice. I just put the barrel back in the garage and took a hand brush to it and it was coming off great.

I might just be smokin by sunday!!

Last edited by JTank70; 05-06-2009 at 09:52 PM.. Reason: typo
JTank70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2009, 10:08 PM   #3069
Barbarian
is One Chatty Farker

I like doing a burn out in the drizzle and fog so the FD or homeowners don't know it is even happening. No smoke to be seen!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03329.jpg (33.3 KB, 1461 views)

Drumhead - UDS x 2 & UDG
Thermopen
Keep on Smokin'
KC native missin' KC
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller 2009
I also support PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2009, 06:39 AM   #3070
mranum
Full Fledged Farker

I was just up to page 104 reading this and was wondering if anyone actually uses charcoal lighter any more. Then I saw this pic and thought....I guess not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
Gives you wood you don't want to burn
mranum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2009, 08:18 AM   #3071
Digi
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangled Up In Q View Post
I have two drums that I have been planning to build a double barrel smoker with using the wood stove conv. kits for ( you guys I am sure have seen the plans ) Well after reading this thread for the last week or so, these UDS look easier to build, use, and much less expensive so now I am torn!! What are some opinions out there on the UDS v.s Double Barrel ?? and secondly is it best to cut both ends of the drum out on the UDS, seems I have seen it both ways (unless I am mistaken) Thanks!!!
why would you build a double barrel when you can have 2 UDS's...
22.5" Weber OTG - dubbed "Little Bit"
[/COLOR]
Digi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2009, 08:40 AM   #3072
JTank70
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
I like doing a burn out in the drizzle and fog so the FD or homeowners don't know it is even happening. No smoke to be seen!!!

Does this make the barrel rust right away before you can wash it / season it etc.?

I thought about burning in the light rain too but figured it would create more work for myself. ????

Old 05-07-2009, 09:19 AM   #3073
Phubar

Here is some more info about the drums that I have.
When I was cleaning the drum on the outside I discovered a sort of stamp at the bottom.
It´s not a very good picture but it says:Colvinsa (manufacturer in Colombia of barrels and such), 4(with dash above and under), Q-12-08.
Probably this barrel was made in December 2008.
Couple of days ago I opened de screw cap on top and shined with a small LED light in.
It indeed contained palm oil,there is a lil bit of white stuff left on the bottom.
Hmmmm...barrel+white stuff+Colombia......
The inside of the barrel doesn't seem to have a coating it looks quite blank.
If so,will a good cleaning with a degreaser work,wirebrush it after and clean it again?
The outside has a good paintjob on it and I really wanna contain it.

Last edited by Phubar; 11-01-2009 at 01:56 PM..
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2009, 09:23 AM   #3074
Tangled Up In Q
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digi View Post
why would you build a double barrel when you can have 2 UDS's...
Ya know I guess I let the novelty of building and having one get the best of me... When what I really want is the best functional cooker!! So after reading this thread, and my own doubts of just how well the double will actually work I am now ready to start cutting the drums.. Gotta lot of grate ideas from here!
Tangled Up In Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2009, 09:45 AM   #3075
Phubar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
Hey Tangled Up In Q,
A lot less work to build a UDS.
Less expensive is my guess.
Cutting both ends depends on what you plan on doing with the bottom of the drum.

My first drum I did that to make it real easy to lift the drum off of a stand that had the charcoal basket on it and clean the ashes up. But I never got a good seal, though I think it is possible. It did not hold temps very well sometimes and just was not good enough. These things really need to be pretty airtight to work well.

Another way is like Jaranimo did which was to build a short little drum out of a donor and weld a lid with the center cut out to the bottom of the UDS. Then you set the UDS on the little drum which is your charcoal basket. I like the idea just cannot do that welding and really don't want to pay for it.

So my second drum has the bottom still there and I built a charcoal basket with an ash pan that I can lift out and clean up. No trying to scrape the ashes out of the bottom of the drum, lazy old fat guy mod, I guess.

I also built a UDG (grill) for steaks, burgers and the like.

If you have a drum with the lip roll still on it and the Weber lid,will there be smoke dripping between the lip and lid?
My plan is a lil bit similar to Jarinimo and yours ,I want to make the top of the drum fit perfectly on the lower charcoal basket part of the drum.
Just as perfect as the lid sits on the drum.
Rough sketch:

Last edited by Phubar; 11-01-2009 at 01:56 PM..
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker