MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:36 PM   #571
smokesalad
Knows what a fatty is.

Same here. After watching JMs videos I bought one. It works great so far. The thermo does not match temp at grate so I will get a dual probe. The top vent has build up on it that I believe helps the seal a bit so I think its a good thing. Its hard to get it stable arround 225 but if I let the fuel burn for a while first it is better. I let it go without food, or rather after cooking on it, for over nine hours in order to observe temp variation and control. I think its going to work out just fine. I'm looking at the way I stack the lump.

Thanks from:--->

Old 06-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #572
HalV48
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodoChild View Post
These things are 299.00 at our local grocery store and right now they have a 50.00 rebate ..250.000 not a bad price !
I did a Google search for the Kamado Kooker in Phoenix, and your post came up. Thanks for the heads up. What was weird, I didn't even know Fry's sold these and had been trying to find one locally. Down here in Chandler, they didn't put them in their add till this week. They didn't show the rebate on the one up front, but did back in the MarketPlace. So having to buy some Budweiser for the rebate was way cool. I was going to buy some anyway. So thanks again and I didn't even have to assemble it.
HalV48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2012, 10:54 PM   #573
Van G
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodoChild View Post
These things are 299.00 at our local grocery store and right now they have a 50.00 rebate ..250.000 not a bad price !
Where did you see the rebate?

Old 06-19-2012, 09:16 AM   #574
NeckidSmoke
Found some matches.

Default All Natural Briquettes/Lump at HT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSetzler View Post
One bit of new information I have learned about this cooker in my experience with it so far... It's easier to control your temperature, especially on the low and slow side of things, with Stubbs all-natural briquettes instead of lump. I cooked a couple butts the other day using Stubbs and instead of fighting to keep the temp lower, I actually had to open the vents a little to get it up to where I wanted it. I'll most likely be switching to natural briquettes in the future with this cooker when I'm targeting specific temps at 300 degrees or less... I'll use lump for hotter cooking...
As an FYI, Harris Teeter carries a Natural Briquette and Lump that are pretty good and you can usually get a Vic Card special on them.

Last edited by NeckidSmoke; 06-19-2012 at 09:21 AM.. Reason: Typo
NeckidSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2012, 12:48 PM   #575
JohnVI
Got rid of the matchlight.

I just purchased one of these smokers, and just wanted to get the consensus here ..

With the Pitmaster IQ, the adapter plate is one option and the ball valve is another option. With the Ball Valve, is there a preference to exactly where to drill it, front, back to ensure you have no issues with ash?

What is everyone using for drop pans, is there a good spot to put it?

The basket to put around the coal, stupid question but where can I find it?

How much coal are you guys using for a low temp cook 200-230range?

Besides the HH RTV silicone, has anyone been using the BGE felt/seal on any areas?

Any other tips when getting this thing up and running...

Thanks in advance. I truly think I will be ditching my MES soon when this comes in...Anyone in Owings Mills MD need a smoker :)..Dont think Dan @ 3eyez would want an electric...
JohnVI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2012, 03:18 PM   #576
trainyourhuman

I also just bought one of these and put it to work this weekend on an 8 lb. Boston butt. Total time went about 9.5 hours, but there was a spot where the temp dropped down to 190 or so (beer run). I'm a novice to the low-n-slow, and I have a couple questions:

Is there a pictorial for using the RTV sealant? Is this something that I have to do?

The smoker seemed to fluctuate a fair amount. How much should I allow? I felt like I had to babysit more than normal.

I used the foil wrapped pizza stone diffuser method. Anyone putting a water pan on top of the stone? Or just on top of the grate?
trainyourhuman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2012, 03:47 PM   #577
shirknwrk
is one Smokin' Farker

Besides the HH RTV silicone, has anyone been using the BGE felt/seal on any areas?...

I wouldn't use the BGE felt/seal on a BGE... and I have one! RTV silicone by itself or used to anchor Rutland flat furnace material. (OK, it works on non flat furnaces, too..) If you decide to use the silicone (Permatex) by itself, be sure to let it set 24 hrs before replacing the lid... or whatever you wish to seal... Or it will be sealed for good! First time I replaced my BGE gasket I simply spread a layer of Permatex along the edge of the ceramic and covered with plastic wrap that I had sprayed with cooking oil. Closed the lid and next morning.. Voila'... perfect gasket. I later re-did the job and put the Rutland gasket material on top of the Permatex. More resistant to abuse.
shirknwrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2012, 04:10 PM   #578
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVI View Post
I just purchased one of these smokers, and just wanted to get the consensus here ..

With the Pitmaster IQ, the adapter plate is one option and the ball valve is another option. With the Ball Valve, is there a preference to exactly where to drill it, front, back to ensure you have no issues with ash?
Spend the $ on good meat and skip the "system" till you learn the cooker[/quote]

Quote:
What is everyone using for drop pans, is there a good spot to put it?
Assuming you mean drip pans, a disposable foil pan shaped to your needs will work.

Quote:
The basket to put around the coal, stupid question but where can I find it?
Buy some expanded metal and form it into a ring. There are many options available for stitching it together.

Quote:
How much coal are you guys using for a low temp cook 200-230range?
In that range, you could be cooking forever! Try 275, and go from there.

Quote:
Besides the HH RTV silicone, has anyone been using the BGE felt/seal on any areas?
[
Any other tips when getting this thing up and running...

Thanks in advance. I truly think I will be ditching my MES soon when this comes in...Anyone in Owings Mills MD need a smoker :)..Dont think Dan @ 3eyez would want an electric...[/QUOTE]

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-19-2012, 04:12 PM   #579
HogFan
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainyourhuman View Post
I also just bought one of these and put it to work this weekend on an 8 lb. Boston butt. Total time went about 9.5 hours, but there was a spot where the temp dropped down to 190 or so (beer run). I'm a novice to the low-n-slow, and I have a couple questions:

The smoker seemed to fluctuate a fair amount. How much should I allow? I felt like I had to babysit more than normal.
Need more information to help. What was your target temperature? What charcoal were you using? How did you have the air outlet (exhaust) adjusted? How long did you wait after an adjustment before making another adjustment?
HogFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2012, 05:48 PM   #580
AugustusRooster
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainyourhuman View Post

Is there a pictorial for using the RTV sealant? Is this something that I have to do?

I used the foil wrapped pizza stone diffuser method. Anyone putting a water pan on top of the stone? Or just on top of the grate?
John Setzler's kamadoguru site has a lot of great info on the Akorn
AugustusRooster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2012, 06:12 PM   #581
El Ropo

Name/Nickname : Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSetzler View Post
I'm glad this thread has had some longevity. I think the Akorn is now established as a formidable grill for the price. :)
It's the "mother" of all Akorn threads. We'll see 10 years from now if they hold up.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2012, 08:06 AM   #582
trainyourhuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogFan View Post
Need more information to help. What was your target temperature? What charcoal were you using? How did you have the air outlet (exhaust) adjusted? How long did you wait after an adjustment before making another adjustment?
Sorry. I was using Cowboy lump. The top vent was almost all the way closed, and the bottom intake was at maybe .5.

I must admit that I didn't wait very long. Because the temp would continue to climb or drop and I was worried!
trainyourhuman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2012, 08:08 AM   #583
captndan

Once again El Ropo is +++ KISS
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2012, 11:22 PM   #584
Jiggs
Knows what a fatty is.

My local Menards has these cookers on sale now through the 4th of July holiday for $247 dollars!

So yes, I picked one up this evening and put it together. Will season it and throw something on it tomorrow for the first cook.

I like the looks of it, and can't wait to cook on it.
Jiggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2012, 04:42 PM   #585
bb0bbby
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggs View Post
My local Menards has these cookers on sale now through the 4th of July holiday for $247 dollars!

So yes, I picked one up this evening and put it together. Will season it and throw something on it tomorrow for the first cook.

I like the looks of it, and can't wait to cook on it.
Jiggs, was it the one in Cbus? I just saw it online. Did they have black & red or just red? The Lowes around the corner has the black one & it has black folding shelves but the one on menards is showing red with wood-colored looking shelves.

Thanks!

Tags
char-griller, chargriller, Kamado