• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Converting a "Holland type" grill to charcoal

R

Rooster

Hey Guys/Gals, I've gotten the best out of my gas grill and am looking to convert it to charcoal/wood burning. It is a Holland style gas grill called Grill-n-Roast. It was sold by Lowes about 10 years ago. Should I just gut it and buy/make a grate for the bottom to hold charcoal or should I add a firebox on the side? I'm leaning towards adding a firebox to the side so I can make it into an indirect smoker, but am looking for pros/cons of both. Has anyone else tried this and if so do you have pics so I will have some sort of reference? :confused: I can post pics of what I have if it would be helpful for ideas.

I just saw on Lowes website that they sell a firebox for one of their drum grills. I think it could be an easy mod.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rooster,

I think your best bet if you are going to do a conversion is to go with the "direct" type. Most gas grills have a lot of venting, meaning it would be very difficult to get good fire control for low and slow. If you post a picture of the grill you are going to convert, you will probably get some more (maybe even better) input.

In my humble opinion you would be better off junking the gasser and building a UDS. My guess is that you wouldn't spend any more money and you'd end up with a better and more efficient cooker. Mounting a firebox on the side would probably throw the unit off-balance and the modifications could be trickey to get an airtight fit.

Back