turkey.. fry..smoke or roast

coastal

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
What is everyine doing and what is your favorite method.

I got a fresh (non frozen) turkey this year for the first time? Should I do anything different?

I will do a smoked and fried one. After posting a question on here about fried, I wnet and bought a Big Easy oil-less fryer

Smoked one and fried one last Thanksgiving. This year just deep frying the Turkey but picked up a Costco Master Carve boneless ham that I will smoke.

Smoked but don't forget to brine! :) Fried one for years but tired of having to get rid of the oil all the time.

Charcoal is cheaper than peanut oil and smoke tastes better imho, also don't forget about the gravy...oh the gravy!

I prefer almost everything to come off of the smoker/grill, but when it comes to a whole turkey, fried is far and away my favorite.

I smoked one a couple of weeks ago and thought it was great, too. If I were doing a second turkey, it'd be smoked, but gotta have a fried one first.

How about smoking a turkey breast (never enough white meat it seems) and frying a bird?

I plan to brine, spatchcock and doing a 2 hour smoke then frying it.
think that will give it enough smoke flavor even after frying?

So, having Turkey dinner at my brother/sister in laws this year and they want a deep fried bird. If I chose to fry one the day before thanksgiving, do I have to cut all the meat off the bone? Can I just fry it the day before, pop it into the refrigerator and then transport to his house and pop it in the oven to heat?

Any expertise would be welcomed!

That is what we had to do one year. I think we actually refrigerated it for 2 days. It turned out good, still. Not quite as good as eating it the day of the fry, but not far off, either.

I plan to smoke mine until almost done and then finish up in the fryer to crisp up the skin, basically the same way I do chicken wings.

I got a turkey and I am going to smoke it, but it won't be on Thanksgiving as we will be gone. But I will cook it when we get back.

Back