MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:26 PM   #9781
slugmong
Knows what a fatty is.

HI guys I have managed to get myself an old castrol oil drum it is sealed so I will have to cut the top off. My question is as I live in the UK and it is constantly wet here how do I best protect it from rust? I can probably find a cover for it but I was wondering if there were any paints that I could use such as hammerite on the outside?

Old 07-23-2012, 02:41 PM   #9782
slugmong
Knows what a fatty is.

This is the one used to have universal tractor oil in so will take some burning!!!

Last edited by slugmong; 09-03-2014 at 05:36 PM..
slugmong is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2012, 05:15 PM   #9783
dbq
Full Fledged Farker

Took me six weeks but I finally finished the entire thread. Feels like I should have a PHD in UDS.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:21 PM   #9784
InTheRedZoneBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

For those of us that have used the Big Lots 22.5" cheapo grill for the lids & rack, be aware that they have reduced it to a 21.5" grill! Obviously this doesn't come close to fitting the standard drums any longer...

Just picked up 2 for $25/ea to learn this lesson...back to the store.
InTheRedZoneBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2012, 07:40 PM   #9785
Tulse
Got Wood.

Rain has kept me from burning out the barrel for 2 weeks. Finally got it done. I see many meats in my future.

VHT High Temp Copper. It was free with Autozone reward points.

Obligatory Basket Photo - cut barrel top out and used as the ash catcher.

Tulse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2012, 09:56 AM   #9786
coachmccoy543
Knows what a fatty is.

Tulse
Is that your air intake door on the bottom? Care how to tell how you fabricated that?
Nice looking build!
coachmccoy543 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2012, 07:00 PM   #9787
Tulse
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmccoy543 View Post
Tulse
Is that your air intake door on the bottom? Care how to tell how you fabricated that?
Nice looking build!
Thanks.

Somewhere in this tomb of UDS builds are a few more examples I copied from. I just sandwiched a "slider", with a tab I bent on vise, between the actual drum and a larger piece of sheet metal. Used some washers as spacers and guides for the slider. It's tight, but I wanted it that way. I tap it with a machete to open and close.

Make it nice and long and be sure to space your holes a bit more than their diameter apart. That's about it. Not too much trouble, but more work than a ball valve.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:10 PM   #9788
Rmhardie
Found some matches.

Default Smoker basket

Great looking copper color! Smoker basket question - is the side standing off of the bottom (on other words, is there an air space between them), or is it just the angle of the pic? And if it's standing off of the bottom, why? I'm not questioning it, I just want to know if I should make my next basket like that.

Thanks!
Rmhardie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2012, 10:27 PM   #9789
Rmhardie
Found some matches.

Default Smoker basket

One more question for the bretheren in general. Any thoughts on using a cut down basket from a turkey fryer for a fire basket?
Rmhardie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2012, 06:32 AM   #9790
rodneypierce
Found some matches.

yes, it is standing off the bottom. It does two things for you. One, lets air circulate through the basket, and two gives the ash a place to fall too, instead of gathering around the coals.

And there is no issue using a cut down turkey fryer backet for the coal basket. They dont have to be pretty, just functional. I prefer something with more/larger holes because I want as much ash to fall as possible.
rodneypierce is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2012, 08:48 AM   #9791
Tulse
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmhardie View Post
Great looking copper color! Smoker basket question - is the side standing off of the bottom (on other words, is there an air space between them), or is it just the angle of the pic? And if it's standing off of the bottom, why? I'm not questioning it, I just want to know if I should make my next basket like that.

Thanks!
Yes, the basket is up off the ash catcher buy about 2.5".

If you meant the ash catcher itself (a cut out barrel top), it looks like that because the barrel was stored somewhere hot. The barrel had methanol in it. The pressure bulged the lid, turning it into a shallow bowl. The lid, once cut out and flipped upside-down, makes a perfect ash-catching shape (purely accidentally). So, yes, the ash catcher's rim is a bit up off the floor, but not for air flow reasons, just due to the slight dome shape.

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-25-2012, 08:52 AM   #9792
CraftWerks-RC
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulse View Post

I dig the color!
CraftWerks-RC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2012, 10:22 AM   #9793
Skidder
Babbling Farker

UDS #11 or 12 I can't remember but anyways nailed a first place trophy for for ribs with it beat out some big rigs too. Not the cooker it's the cook. Don't know why it's sideways but oh well turn your computer or yer head haha
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2012, 10:29 AM   #9794
CraftWerks-RC
Got Wood.

Thats awesome Skidder!

I need to add some wheels and side shelves to mine.
CraftWerks-RC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2012, 10:33 AM   #9795
dealm9
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmhardie View Post

Thanks!
I believe he means is the expanded metal standing off the bottom of the charcoal grate, not the charcoal grate off the bottom of the ash catcher. In this instance, the answer is no. If you look closely you can see the welds between the expanded metal and the grate. It does look a little bit like it from the angle though. If this is not what you meant, then woops

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker