What's the fastest you've cooked a 10# or larger brisket

jrbBBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I haven't posted in a while and I thought this would be an interesting and fun subject. Mine was a 12 pounder after trimmed and it took 4h 15m. It was on accident, but turned out great. I put it one on an uds and went fishing for a few hours when I got back the drum was at 410*, I checked the internal temp, wrapped it and cooked for another 1.5 hours, rested it for 3 and everyone loved it. This actually happen a couple years ago, but for some reason I thought of it today and was thinking how fast have you or can you cook a decent size brisket.

It usually takes me between 8-9 hour for a 15-17 pounder on my CTO at 250*, but with the convection fan it's more like 270ish in a normal (wsm) type environment.

Last Sunday I did a trimmed 11 lb'er on my offset running between 275 and 300. Put in on at 5:00 am. Was resting by 11:00 am. Should have slept a few more hours...

P.S. Was my best to date.

Hot and Fast

I have cooked brisket in the 12 pound range and had it done in 3 hours and 20 minutes. This did not include the rest time. Temp of UDS running at 390 to 420 F. Wrapped after cooking 2 hours. Never use any liquid containing sugar at these temperatures though.

I haven't posted in a while and I thought this would be an interesting and fun subject. Mine was a 12 pounder after trimmed and it took 4h 15m. It was on accident, but turned out great. I put it one on an uds and went fishing for a few hours when I got back the drum was at 410*, I checked the internal temp, wrapped it and cooked for another 1.5 hours, rested it for 3 and everyone loved it. This actually happen a couple years ago, but for some reason I thought of it today and was thinking how fast have you or can you cook a decent size brisket.

That is the temp range I am after.

If you would have took it to 400 to begin with... it would not have taken so long.

Around 8 hours for a 12 pounder holding 275+. I can't bring myself to going too hot. I think they arrest you for cooking brisket over 300 in Texas.

Around 8 hours for a 12 pounder holding 275+. I can't bring myself to going too hot. I think they arrest you for cooking brisket over 300 in Texas.
Agreed, and even if there are no penalties for such an act in this life you will have to stand before the great judgment one day and answer for your transgressions!!! LOL! My pit rarely goes over 275 and if it does it's by mistake!:wink:

I didn't know this was a race :-D
If Throwndowns had taste judges, that could be an interesting one. Fastest, best tasting brisket where taste score divided by hours on heat yields a winner ;)

Back