MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:20 PM   #406
Still Smokin
Full Fledged Farker

I have an Academy Outside Gourmet Kamado (Ceramic) it is very similar to a large Egg, but 1/2 the price of an Egg and it comes with a really nice cart.

I have looked at one @ my local Lowes and apparently it was put together really well as it was very solid. I plan on getting one very soon, maybe this Sunday.
Still Smokin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2012, 08:30 AM   #407
captndan
Quintessential Chatty Farker

From what I have been told the ones with the s/s top vent is an old style. The new one should have a heavier powder coated vent.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2012, 09:46 AM   #408
Vision
is One Chatty Farker

The local Lowes has one set up. I'm not a ceramic cooker guy(and don't know much about them) but I was surprised that the outside "shell" isn't solid ceramic.
Vision is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2012, 06:46 PM   #409
spenzalii
Got rid of the matchlight.

After a week of deliberation I took the plunge and got one today over a WSM. Just finished the seasoning run. So far, so good. We will see how it goes
spenzalii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2012, 06:10 AM   #410
Soybomb
Full Fledged Farker

I've one several times now and feel like its an ok buy. Seems to hold temp fairly well just be prepared to have it mostly closed down. I will note my has been rained on once or twice and you can already see rust running down from the leg fasteners. The leg fasteners will also strip easily so go gentle when tightening. It also looks like grease is removing the paint from the dome vent. Overall I like it but I question how long it will be in service.
Soybomb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2012, 04:41 PM   #411
AZ Smoker
On the road to being a farker

how hard is it to add charcoal or wood to it if you are trying to do a low and slow for 6-10hrs? Do you have to remove your food to get to the coals?
AZ Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2012, 05:19 PM   #412
DpSyChO
Found some matches.

I've got a bubba keg and have done a 10hr low & slow with it so this one should be able to just fine.
DpSyChO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2012, 05:52 PM   #413
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Smoker View Post
how hard is it to add charcoal or wood to it if you are trying to do a low and slow for 6-10hrs? Do you have to remove your food to get to the coals?
The Akorn should cook a lot longer than that without needing to add any fuel.
JMSetzler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2012, 06:10 PM   #414
AZ Smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSetzler View Post
The Akorn should cook a lot longer than that without needing to add any fuel.
But what if you have to? Do you use the minion method when starting your fire in the Akorn to do an all day smoke?

Old 04-05-2012, 06:21 PM   #415
AugustusRooster
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

AZ Smoker, there is a removable center piece in the cooking grate. But if you're cooking low and slow you're gonna need to take out the heat deflector to add fuel, which of course means removing the cooking grate and the meat.

Yes, you do use the minion method. Stuff the fire grate with lump and wood chunks and just a few lit coals. If you dump a chimney load of red-hot lump into this rig you ain't gonna be cookin' low and slow anytime soon. As JM said, this thing is very fuel efficient. Unless you badly misjudge your initial charcoal load you'll make your cook with plenty of lump to spare.
AugustusRooster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2012, 06:22 PM   #416
Will work for bbq
Babbling Farker

I made a diffuser plate for mine out of 1/2" plate with the center cut out and with a cover for it. If I ever need to add coals I can move the meat to the side, lift the center of the grate off and slide my center cover over for access to my coals. It also comes in handy for toasting marshmallows for s'mores.

Agent 000 (Double O Zero)
Certified MOINK Baller

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Super sexy Farkernaut Avatar by N8man

Will work for bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2012, 10:01 PM   #417
AZ Smoker

Thanks man. Would you say the Kamado or the WSM 22" is more practical for taking camping? we camp a lot all summer and drive about 90 miles to our camping spot about 3x a month.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:17 PM   #418
Hozman
Take a breath!

I personally wouldn't travel much with a ceramic cooker. To much probability of it cracking or worse

Old 04-05-2012, 11:38 PM   #419
tarheelsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Smoker View Post
Thanks man. Would you say the Kamado or the WSM 22" is more practical for taking camping? we camp a lot all summer and drive about 90 miles to our camping spot about 3x a month.
Both are excellent smokers, but the CGK is more versatile. It will smoke, grill, you can even get it up to 625 and make pizzas on it. I wouldnt think it would be any harder to drag around than the 22 WSM.

Another option would be making a Smokey Joe mod with a tamale pot. Then you would have something that is a little more compact, and will work like the WSM if you wanted to smoke and use the SJ for grilling.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=112816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hozman View Post
I personally wouldn't travel much with a ceramic cooker. To much probability of it cracking or worse
The Char Griller Kamado is insulated steel, not ceramic.

--Mike

Old 04-05-2012, 11:41 PM   #420
AZ Smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hozman View Post
Who's talkin Ceramic??

Tags
char-griller, chargriller, Kamado