MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:44 PM   #1
gambler
On the road to being a farker

Default Anyone do a Beer Can Turkey?

I'm planning on doing a turkey on my UDS. I want to do it just like a beer can chicken. Has anyone done this, and how did it turn out. Please explain your process, type of cooker, and temps. Also, do you brine first or is the beer enough? Thanks
gambler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2011, 09:21 PM   #2
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

Most people will say brine is good on a bird. Also you want to be careful with the 40-140 rule. A big bird will take a while to reach 140 unless you start your cook at a higher, rather than low and slow temp.

If it were me, I'd be starting it @ around 300 for maybe 2 hours, then crank heat up to 375-400 till done. Cooking a large bird low and slow will open the door for the nasties to multiply, not to mention the skin will have the texture of a 5 year old rubber band.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2011, 09:29 PM   #3
gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ropo View Post
Most people will say brine is good on a bird. Also you want to be careful with the 40-140 rule. A big bird will take a while to reach 140 unless you start your cook at a higher, rather than low and slow temp.

If it were me, I'd be starting it @ around 300 for maybe 2 hours, then crank heat up to 375-400 till done. Cooking a large bird low and slow will open the door for the nasties to multiply, not to mention the skin will have the texture of a 5 year old rubber band.
I planned on cooking at a higher heat, somewhere in the 300's like you suggested. What is the 4-140 rule?

Old 09-07-2011, 09:31 PM   #4
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

I saw where someone did one with one of those Heineken barrel cans, like a liter can or something?

If you want to go that route, try the "Turkey Cannon". Same principle, but the cannon allows you to lay the bird down so it will fit better on most smokers.

Here's a link of the last one I did. Love that turkey cannon.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=104719

The biggest piece of advice I can offer? BRINE BRINE BRINE BRINE!!!!

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-07-2011, 09:33 PM   #5
Big Bears BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I've never used a beer can I use a bird rack made for turkeys. I oil the bird down , put the seasonings on and I think my temps are around 325 or so. As the bird cooks I spray butter on it to keep it moist and builds a good crust and the best part are the wings. Nice and crispy................ My birds are 12 to 15lbs and takes about 4hrs or so............ Let us know how it turns out.
Big Bears BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2011, 09:37 PM   #6
Big Bears BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I use a Bass Pro Smoker and a WSM............... for got that part.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:41 PM   #7
gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
I saw where someone did one with one of those Heineken barrel cans, like a liter can or something?

If you want to go that route, try the "Turkey Cannon". Same principle, but the cannon allows you to lay the bird down so it will fit better on most smokers.

Here's a link of the last one I did. Love that turkey cannon.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=104719

The biggest piece of advice I can offer? BRINE BRINE BRINE BRINE!!!!
That Turkey Cannon looks interesting. And the turkey you did on it looks awesome. I think I wanna first try with a beer can. I was thinking a Foster's oil can. Not sure if that will be big enough. Maybe I'll have to check out that mini barrel. So did you brine your cannon turkey? I didn't see a step where you did.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:43 PM   #8
gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bears BBQ View Post
I've never used a beer can I use a bird rack made for turkeys. I oil the bird down , put the seasonings on and I think my temps are around 325 or so. As the bird cooks I spray butter on it to keep it moist and builds a good crust and the best part are the wings. Nice and crispy................ My birds are 12 to 15lbs and takes about 4hrs or so............ Let us know how it turns out.
What is a bird rack, and do you inject or brine?

Old 09-07-2011, 09:49 PM   #9
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Yes, I ALWAYS brine my turkeys. ALWAYS.

I've tried a lot of different brines, but I have pretty much ended up with a simple brine of about 2 parts (1c) salt, 1 part (1/2c) sugar and a handful of whole peppercorns to a gallon of water. If I feel squirly, I'll also add juice of an orange, a couple of lemons, thyme, but usually it's just S&P&S.

The cannon is essentially the same thing as a beer can bird. The cannon holds the liquid as the beer can will and it also supports the bird better.

I've been smoking turkeys for thanksgiving at or above 325 for 3 years now. That last one with the cannon was the best turkey yet.

Good luck!

Old 09-07-2011, 09:56 PM   #10
Big Bears BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

The rack sticks up inside the bird so it sets straight up in the smoker. I do not inject or brine . I for get who makes these but their made for chickens and turkeys. Turkeys or chickens alway turn out great.......

Old 09-07-2011, 11:59 PM   #11
gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bears BBQ View Post
The rack sticks up inside the bird so it sets straight up in the smoker. I do not inject or brine . I for get who makes these but their made for chickens and turkeys. Turkeys or chickens alway turn out great.......
Could that rack hold a large beer can?

Old 09-08-2011, 12:09 AM   #12
Sammy_Shuford
is One Chatty Farker

No Brime, just a turkey cannon with chicken biollion and spices inside. On UDS at 225 till 165 in the breast. Every one loved it.
[/LEFT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black][COLOR=magenta]Purple Thermapen:laugh:[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
MASTER Judge, SCBA
Carolina Pit Master
[URL]http://patio-q.com/[/URL]
Sammy_Shuford is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2011, 12:12 AM   #13
Sammy_Shuford
is One Chatty Farker

Photos:

[/LEFT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black][COLOR=magenta]Purple Thermapen:laugh:[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
MASTER Judge, SCBA
Carolina Pit Master

Old 09-08-2011, 12:12 AM   #14
gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy_Shuford View Post
No Brime, just a turkey cannon with chicken biollion and spices inside. On UDS at 225 till 165 in the breast. Every one loved it.
how long did it take at the temp, and how did the skin come out?

Old 09-08-2011, 12:14 AM   #15
Sammy_Shuford
is One Chatty Farker

almost crisp skin, almost. Turkey was moist and flavorful. About 3 hours (I don't have my cook log with me at ....)
[/LEFT]
MASTER Judge, SCBA
Carolina Pit Master