MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:09 PM   #1
cashfoley
Found some matches.

Default I've settled on the Country Smoker - but which one?

Hi everyone! New member! I currently have a Pitts 'N Spitts U1830. I bought it back in 1999 and it's still in great shape. (It's also on Craig's List.) It's a great hardwood offset smoker but I've decided to become a Pellet Pooper! These forums have helped me a lot in digging through my initial evaluation of GBE, Traeger and Country Cooker. I'm not really wanting to stir up that debate and I realize they are all good choices for various reasons. As I stated - I've settled on the Country Smoker.

My dilemma is between the Tailgater and something larger - probably the 570. All things being equal (without worrying about the price difference), I figure I'd much rather be able to 4 briskets for a big occasion. Just say'n!

However, my REALLY big hobby is pulling an RV. I've never been satisfied with my portable grills and the Tailgater seems like a dream come true for that purpose.

So here's my questions:

How much can I really put in a Tailgater and get good quality? It claims a 25 lb turkey. It doesn't say so but that would seem to be big enough for a nice size brisket or 3 racks of BB ribs on a rib rack.

Are hot spots a problem in the smallish Tailgater chamber?

If I go with a 570 or 480, how tough will it be to put in the back of my pickup. I've got a Ford F450 with a 5th wheel hitch. Lifting one of these up and between the hitch and the bed doesn't seem like a 1 man job. However, if there is a way to get the legs on and off easy enough, I might be able put it between the hitch and the tailgate. I figure some of you comp guys have experience in moving these things and might have some advise.

Thanks in advance and thanks for all the good posts in the past that have helped me get to this point!
cashfoley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2010, 08:12 PM   #2
Buster Dog BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Do you find yourself typically cooking the same type foods RV'ing? I don't think you will get a very big brisket on the tailgator and not sure how often you have to replenish pellets.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:31 PM   #3
cashfoley
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster Dog BBQ View Post
Do you find yourself typically cooking the same type foods RV'ing? I don't think you will get a very big brisket on the tailgator and not sure how often you have to replenish pellets.
I'm hoping to be able to expand what I'm cooking in my RV. I really like ribs and can only imagine cook'n some slow smoked ribs while kicking back!

However, as a tangent to my original questions - how well does your mini BGE work? I've research the BGE egg a bit and know it is great but I've been suspicious about a mini. As an alternative to getting a Tailgater for the RV, a mini BGE might really scratch an itch. I know we're not talking brisket and ribs but how well does it work for a 1.5 - 2 inch prime steak? I could get the 480 or 570 for the homestead and a mini BGE for the RV if it can do some quality small scale cooking!
cashfoley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2010, 08:41 PM   #4
Buster Dog BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

If I had my choice for an RV I would take the tailgator. The rectangle shape would allow for ribs, more room for steaks, brats, etc. Plus you have a indirect cooking which has it's benefits. Heck, you can always pick up an ez grill if you want over the coals on occasion.

The mini egg hinge is worthless in my opinion unless you get the new hinge assembly. But it does sear better than most things. I only use it for burgers, hot dogs, steaks and a few other things. I dont have any thing yet to do indirect on it.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:47 PM   #5
Chef Country
is one Smokin' Farker

if you have a hitch on the back of your rv you could get one of these

I built my own but it works great for hauling a grill behind the 5er
Shop built 300 gal smoker
Traeger bbq 125 with digital 180 controller
collecting parts for a 500gal reverse flow build
Chef Country is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2010, 09:04 PM   #6
cashfoley
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Country View Post
if you have a hitch on the back of your rv you could get one of these

I built my own but it works great for hauling a grill behind the 5er
My 5th doesn't have a hitch (that sounds like a song!)

The only thing there is that tail end can really bounce. It's a 40' trailer so there's a long way between the axle and the tail end. Thanks for the idea! That's what makes this place cook!

Old 11-11-2010, 09:11 PM   #7
Chef Country
is one Smokin' Farker

yeah I had a 35 ft last year if i didnt have a boat or buggy and quad behind my 5er i had the rack on with the traeger bbq125, im glad i never got measured i was only 15 ft over most the time
Shop built 300 gal smoker
Traeger bbq 125 with digital 180 controller
collecting parts for a 500gal reverse flow build
Chef Country is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2010, 07:16 AM   #8
embo500
On the road to being a farker

Not to threadjack here, but I noticed in your original post you were looking at a 570. I have to recommend stepping up to the 680 if all things are the same. It's worth the extra space!! I have a 680 and I'm so glad I went with the bigger one, though there are many times I wish I had the room for the Whole Hog or the Super Hog if I'm really cooking a lot (or need two heat zones).

Haven't used the Tailgater, but I've been interested in getting one, so I'll be interested to see how this thread turns out.
and only the fastest Hawkeye Yellow Thermapen
embo500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2010, 08:20 AM   #9
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

For an RV, the tailgator is a boon. It does have hotspots, at the outer edges, where the convective air is coming around the deflector plate. It uses the same fan as the the other units, so that is alot of air pushing through there. IF you have something taking up the full grate, it will get a little crispy at the outer edges on a hotter cook. You can adjust the plate to minimize that (it adjusts for angle)

It runs great on an inverter and marine battery for tailgate outings. or even a small genset We take it to lakeside's dirt track, and just about anyplace we go and need a lil grill.

If you have a long bed, you should be able to fit any of the std units in the front of your bed, but they are just big enough that they are probably a two person job to get it onto the tailgate of your F450.

There is a previous model -- the CS420, that might be a good fit for your needs. I know there are still some new ones in the showroom a few places. It might be a good size to serve both purposes.

As far as something to leave at the house, The 680 is the ticket. if you are going up in size take her on up. :) IT has ALOT of grill space. you dont have to choose between butts and briskets, just cook both :)

Old 11-12-2010, 10:44 PM   #10
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

What Andy said. The tailgater is a great grill. Like any piece of equipment, you have to spend the time to learn it. It is portable, cleans easy, cooks high heat, cooks low and slow. One of the things I love about pellets is that they are clean. No charcoal dust everywhere or bark from sticks.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2010, 11:38 PM   #11
cashfoley
Found some matches.

Thanks for all the feedback. There are a couple of Country Smoker dealers in the Dallas area but they are 50 miles away!.

Traeger is a lot more popular. In fact, they will be coming by my Costco in December and it looks like they'll have the 75 for $795. It's a nice price. I'll go and look at the CS and get a better sense of it.

If money weren't an issue I'd buy a Tailgater and 680! The 420 sounds like an interesting compromise. I'll see if I can find one.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:32 AM   #12
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'm not a fan of the new CS since they went to China. They leak air.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2010, 10:56 AM   #13
bandityo
On the road to being a farker

I have a CS680 and Traeger was at my Costco also...I compared mine to the Traeger and the CS was much heavier steel and a lot firmer and tighter built...not sure if thats because Traeger went to China or not.

David

Old 11-15-2010, 07:19 AM   #14
cashfoley
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
I'm not a fan of the new CS since they went to China. They leak air.
CS is made in China now too? That's been the knock against Traiger. I stopped by a CS dealer this weekend and he said they are still made in Canada. However, I suspect you're more on top of this than he is.

I must say, I didn't see a big difference between Traeger and CS. It's not like either one is made with 3/8" steel.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:27 AM   #15
cashfoley
Found some matches.

After stopping by the CS dealer this weekend I'm inclined to get the 680. The Tailgater is nice and will do most of the cooking I plan on doing... just not as much of it. Maybe in a year or so I can get the second one.

My final concern is the searing heat of the CS 680. It looks like all of the CS units have the same combustion design. The bigger the more it takes to heat it. The biggest difference between the Traeger and the CS is the reported top end heat. This question may be be a thread for itself but there are a few 680 owners on this one.

What is the top end searing heat on the CS 680?

Tags
Country Smoker, pellet