MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:38 AM   #16
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

I have a Maverick ET-73 (ET-732 inbound from Amazon ) for monitoring long smokes. I use a Taylor Weekend Warrior (http://www.taylorusa.com/weekend-war...ermometer.html) when I want to poke something in the meat and get a quick reading. It's probably not as fast as a Thermapen but it can be had for about $15 on Amazon. I am not a pro and it is fast enough for me.

It's good to develop the skill to cook w/out instrumentation but good instruments can help you to get to that point. Plus, with the ET-73/732 probes in the meat, I can monitor progress w/out the need to open the smoker.
HankB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2013, 09:39 AM   #17
accuseal
On the road to being a farker

The Maverick ET 732 is a good unit........however........it is very slow in response time. It is not nearly as accurate as the Themapen. That being said, I like to use it as 1) remote so I can set alarm points and sleep at night 2) a "trend" indicator so I know what is goin on in my pit without running outside all the time 3) a good indicaor of when I should start probe testing.
accuseal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2013, 10:07 AM   #18
dano
is one Smokin' Farker

The IGrill is a nice unit and very comparable to the ET-732. I like that you don't have to carry a receiver with you seeing how all bluetooth devices work with it. The droid app is new and not quite as nice as the apple one. The Thermapen is a faster unit than the PT100. I own both and use them both frequently. The PT100 does has nicer options on it like a rubber outside for drop protection and backlit display for night time use.
dano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2013, 10:11 AM   #19
aawa
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano View Post
The IGrill is a nice unit and very comparable to the ET-732. I like that you don't have to carry a receiver with you seeing how all bluetooth devices work with it. The droid app is new and not quite as nice as the apple one. The Thermapen is a faster unit than the PT100. I own both and use them both frequently. The PT100 does has nicer options on it like a rubber outside for drop protection and backlit display for night time use.
Just as a question for speed between the PT100 and the Thermapen, what is the speed difference? Is it a 1 second difference or something considerable like a 5 second difference? on JM's review of them on youtube it seemed to be within 1 second difference in speed.

Thanks.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #20
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano View Post
The IGrill is a nice unit and very comparable to the ET-732.
I looked into the iGrill before I ordered an ET-732 to supplement my ET-73. I could classify the iGrill as closer to the ET-73 in that the maximum temperature is 400° F for the iGrill (410° F for the ET-73 cooker probe.) The ET-732 goes over 500° F. At that temperature the lining inside the braid on the ET-73 probe starts to melt and extrude outside the braid.

If you never need to go over 400° this is not a concern. I was doing a Turkey using Alton Brown's strategy of 500° for the first half hour.
HankB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2013, 10:20 AM   #21
Blutch
Full Fledged Farker

Yeah.. I didn't quite pay $100 for it and that $50 one on Amazon is an older version.. perhaps fine. I also needed it right away, so I went with a local BBQ supplier. Thanks for all the recommendations. That iGrill looks great..if it is accurate... I need this fast, so I am going to check at BB&B. I do have one probe therm that can stay in the cooker.. perhaps I should just buy a second cheapie for the meat. I really liked the version that did it will one probe. B
UDS
Blutch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #22
Foxfire
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawa View Post
Just as a question for speed between the PT100 and the Thermapen, what is the speed difference? Is it a 1 second difference or something considerable like a 5 second difference? on JM's review of them on youtube it seemed to be within 1 second difference in speed.

Thanks.
Yeah, I saw both JM's side-by-side comparison vid as well as the one by BBQ Bros. on their channel and both times the Thermapen and Maverick were within a second or so of each other and also within a degree or so. I need to upgrade my instant read so am going back and forth on which to pull the trigger on. I may very well get the Maverick and see how I like it after some use. If I don't like it, I'll splurge on a Thermapen and keep the Mav. in the drawer as a backup or use it when I'm cooking away from home and it's more likely to get lost / damaged.
[COLOR="Blue"]Blue [/COLOR]Weber Performer + Craycort CI • [COLOR="red"]Brick Red[/COLOR] Weber One-Touch Platinum • Weber 26.75 Kettle • Akorn Kamado • ET 732 • Record-crushing [COLOR="Orange"][B]ORANGE[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen • UDS In Progress
Foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2013, 02:48 PM   #23
snakyjake
On the road to being a farker

I prefer a remote/wireless temperature monitor. Don't need high accuracy or speed on low and slow smokes.

But I would like a second thermometer to double check, calibrate, and validate the meat's temperature.
snakyjake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2013, 03:34 PM   #24
Foxfire
Full Fledged Farker

This weekend I got so sick of my $17 eventual-read thermometer that I pulled the trigger and ordered, in spite of my earlier posts, a Thermapen. I was highly tempted to go with the Maverick but have a lurking fear that the better priced offers on the Internet are actually the older models out that seemed to have some issues. Later this week I guess I'll find out if San Francisco Giants ORANGE is actually the fastest....
[COLOR="Blue"]Blue [/COLOR]Weber Performer + Craycort CI • [COLOR="red"]Brick Red[/COLOR] Weber One-Touch Platinum • Weber 26.75 Kettle • Akorn Kamado • ET 732 • Record-crushing [COLOR="Orange"][B]ORANGE[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen • UDS In Progress
Foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote