Chicken skin miracle

checkrd past

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Finally had the chance to try the boiling water over the chicken skin trick.Oh man does it ever work.My first test was legs with the Everglades rub I just got in the mail at 300 deg right on the grill.I really liked the flavor and the skin was crispy, actually made a crunch sound.Real happy with the first try and the 2nd will be with thighs.

Glad you got to try it. I was hoping others would so I could get some feedback. Here it is as posted on this site. It really does work! https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=264759
And no...it's the boiling water. The boiling water causes the fibers in the proteins to align, which then allows to fat to escape more easily. At least that's what I read on the science behind that technique. It's also a very old Chinese Peking Duck trick, which features crispy duck skin.
As you pour on the water, you can actually see the skin become translucent...weird.

Last edited:
2k8gd8.jpg

Salt ... no salt ... just boiling water .... who's gonna compare both ?

I can only say that I've tried salt without boiling water and salt with boiling water and there is a marked difference. Really, I think the salt, drying in the fridge, boiling water and spray oil that all contribute. Up until recently, I had limited success, but once I started using the boiling water, it all came together and produced that great skin.:grin:
So glad it worked for you.

All I did was to trim the legs and poured boiling water over the skin,and just a 1/4 cup I'm guessing. It really shrinks up the skin so on my thigh test.I'm going to leave more skin on when I trim.

Back