MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:36 AM   #31
Assassin-Smokers
Found some matches.

There are several differences. The Rebel Smokers have the chutes mounted on side instead of back, unlike the Assassin and Superior Smokers. Rebel has a welded in grease pan, as to where the assassin and superior have removable grease pans. Assassin come standard with guru, slam latch and stainless steel across bottom front, also come with 5 inch casters, rain cap, 4 racks. Superior has a 3 rack option and a 5 rack option, has removable grease pan also. Out of all Assassin comes with the most options Standard.
Assassin-Smokers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2012, 12:32 PM   #32
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin-Smokers View Post
There are several differences. The Rebel Smokers have the chutes mounted on side instead of back, unlike the Assassin and Superior Smokers. Rebel has a welded in grease pan, as to where the assassin and superior have removable grease pans. Assassin come standard with guru, slam latch and stainless steel across bottom front, also come with 5 inch casters, rain cap, 4 racks. Superior has a 3 rack option and a 5 rack option, has removable grease pan also. Out of all Assassin comes with the most options Standard.
Why not build 3 different models instead of three different companies?

Old 06-08-2012, 02:11 PM   #33
ButchB
Full Fledged Farker

If I understand correctly, superior and rebel contract him to build there smokers for them. Assassin is his own brand.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:03 AM   #34
Assassin-Smokers
Found some matches.

that is correct
Assassin-Smokers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2012, 11:50 AM   #35
Basted moral support guy
On the road to being a farker

Sorry to bump an old thread, but our head cook just ordered one of these. I'm stoked about not cutting wood, and not watching the fire and adjusting every five minutes. Hopefully it's here in time for us to season it and get some test runs in before our next competition! It will be a nice subtle Corvette orange, lol. For all the extras on it, the price is crazy cheap.

Hopefully we get back to our ways of getting multiple calls per comp, and do the Assassin name proud.
Basted moral support guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2012, 02:00 PM   #36
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

Congrats and good luck. Keep me posted on how you like it. I was looking at them before I got my BWS.

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2012, 10:20 PM   #37
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaskew82 View Post
Congrats and good luck. Keep me posted on how you like it. I was looking at them before I got my BWS.
I got her off the truck on Thursday afternoon, seasoned her that night, and pulled her up to Columbia, MO for Roots n' Blues n' BBQ on Friday. We had some timing issues because we moved from an offset but overall it cooked great.

We did manage a first place call in ribs out of 65 teams on the first cook so apparently the Assassin has some chops! We are taking her down to Fayetteville, AR this weekend to try and go 2 for 2.
gettinbasted is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-06-2013, 08:48 AM   #38
dobdabomb
Full Fledged Farker

Can posters update me on how well the Assassin's are doing both at home and on the competition circuit? I just found out about them, that they are tied into Rebel. Any added info would be great, I really really appreciate it especially from those already on this thread having ordered them a year or so ago.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:55 AM   #39
AUBBQ

I don’t see how you could go wrong with anything Jeff and his guys build. I have a Superior Smoker SS-2 I bought almost 3 yrs ago and love it. I would like one slightly bigger though. My next pit will be an Assassin or SS-1….

Assassin-Smokers, If yall are looking to get more pits out there on the comp circuit let me know… Maybe we could work something out

Old 06-06-2013, 10:49 AM   #40
dobdabomb
Full Fledged Farker

Any issues with rust, sheet metal bolts, paint, firebox metal? Curious to any type of fatigue. How do you maintain these type of smokers, cleaning, regular maintenance?

I would be in that boat as well, AUBBQ and I could encompass the state of AL. I would assume another Auburn guy as well :-) I am team Smokin' Hot Racks in Huntsville.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:21 AM   #41
AUBBQ

No issues yet and this is our third season competing on the SS-2. I have some minor scratches on the top where I sit pans and such but that’s it. I have repainted the black area around the firebox once, but the original paint lasted the better part of two years. These are very low maintenance smokers, especially since they are insulated and painted. Once they are seasoned you shouldn’t get very much rust, if any, on the inside. I haven’t yet, but I do keep mine covered and under my carport or it stays in our cook trailer.

That’s right, War Eagle!! We cook mostly in Ga, but hopefully we can cook a few in Al this yr.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #42
dobdabomb
Full Fledged Farker

How have you gone through seasoning it, just curious for the first cooks. Obviously it will get seasoned the more cooked but initially for these types.

Do you ever use the water pan or does the steam from the natural juices make it wet enough inside, I know the stumps are extremely good and dont need a water pan so curious.

Hopefully we can meet up in Auburn, ive got season tickets. 04' grad finance. War Eagle!

Old 06-06-2013, 02:30 PM   #43
dobdabomb
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for all that have responded privately, if there are any others that own them. Id appreciate hearing from you.