• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
Getting There

Up to page 375......... over half way to the end.........

I used high temp silicone grommets from Grainger. One size for the probe to slide into snugly for pit temp, and a slightly larger size for the probe to be able to reach the meat. Note the machine screw heads just above the top and bottom grommets. Those are the grate levels. The larger one in the middle is for the probes to get to the meat on either or both of grates. You can plug the holes that aren't being used with a nail.

Thanks pbj, I like it......

kind of wondering if I shouldn't cut it down some, but I guess we will see.

Tall won't hurt a thing but if it ends up too short for a long run after you cut it just more work to put it back.....

I was thinking of paint options I want to use Duplicolor engine paint because it comes in a assortment of colors I would like to use for my smoker.

The paint is rated up to 500 degrees. aftermy initial burnout I doubt this drum will ever see anything above 400 unless I really do something bad.

Would you guys think it's safe to try that paint?

I was thinking of paint options I want to use Duplicolor engine paint because it comes in a assortment of colors I would like to use for my smoker.

The paint is rated up to 500 degrees. aftermy initial burnout I doubt this drum will ever see anything above 400 unless I really do something bad.

Would you guys think it's safe to try that paint?

I've used it and it will peel at 400 degrees or so. My BIL let his go and it peeled the bottom area of the drum.

I've been using the Rustoleum 2000 degree grill paint as my primer, then paint over it with any standard, non heat color I want. No issues so far but I haven't gotten any of my drums over 300 degrees either.

Made it through 748 pages! Uds built and pics to follow.

Congrats on making it to page 748.........

I'm at 451 and counting but my first UDS is cooking........

Good luck on your first build and have fun........

I read on here a couple of times that when using pipe nipple for an intake, the holes in the drum need to be coated with something to help prevent rusting. Can anyone give me some help remembering what that something was? I was going to secure my pipe nipples with conduit nuts and am a little concerned about the rusting issue.

Any help or suggestions is always appreciated.

Steve

I read on here a couple of times that when using pipe nipple for an intake, the holes in the drum need to be coated with something to help prevent rusting. Can anyone give me some help remembering what that something was? I was going to secure my pipe nipples with conduit nuts and am a little concerned about the rusting issue.

Any help or suggestions is always appreciated.

Steve

I would suggest just painting when you paint the rest of the drum. Then when you are doing your fist cook you can lightly spray with some cooking oil.

Brethren, after much planning I'm finally going to get my UDS up and running this weekend. I have all the parts (nearly) gathered and will be burning it out and sanding it this evening, Seasoning it overnight, and hopefully a first cook at some point tomorrow.

My single question: I have some nylon casters for it. However temperature range seems to be 250f, I'm assuming fitting the casters before the burn is completely out of the question? But am I right in thinking it will be ok for normal usage?

Rockpyle's UDS Build

Congrats on making it to page 748.........

I'm at 451 and counting but my first UDS is cooking........

Good luck on your first build and have fun........

I am up to page 228, but started gathering materials after about 115 pages and finished my UDS last night.

I found a barrel reconditioner in Detroit that sold me an open head heavy duty barrel for $27, Took a bunch of notes during my studies and with a few trips to HD and Lowe's had all of the components. My lovely wife allowed me to cannibalize the 15 year old Weber we have . . err, had.

As a guy without many tools or much experience with metal, cutting the holes was pretty intimidating, but the step-bits were a godsend and much easier than I had expected.

I had to bend out the lip of the Weber lid and rehammer it to form it to the drum. I assume that is because I bought the heavier drum? The guy at the barrel place told me it was a 17h drum. It also has a 2" bung in the side, about 6 inches from the bottom. I briefly considered using a single 2" pipe intake, but ended up taking the advice of many to KISS and build the standard recipe before venturing too far afield.

My only other problem was finding a good source of a strip of expanded metal. I didn't want to have to cut it myself. I ended up using a couple of shelves from HD, chopped a bit, bent a bit and wired it together. No off smells during the seasoning burn, so hopefully it will work.

I found a good online source for custom expanded metal, and although shipping is about the same as the metal, cost, I'll likely remake the charcoal basket when a buddy and I build his.

I sealed up the intakes and lid seal with Hi-temp RTV, and everything went smoothly. Seasoned for about 5.5 hours last night and am ready to throw a couple of butts on tomorrow! I had some fun letting out my inner geek during the seasoning run, learning how the smoker reacted to changes, lip removals, etc. I probably need help:

Wish me luck!

So many thanks to all of you who have created this thread to help those of us coming along behind. I first saw a drum at Bubba's rib burn, and have been toying with the idea of building one for a couple of years. This thread finally got me to do it!

Rock

Last edited:
making a little progress...having an uncle with an exhaust shop helps :)

1150831_10152389625657524_351642948_n.jpg

Back