MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 10-24-2008, 06:30 AM   #1
koloa
Got Wood.

Default anyone here have their bbq trailer or food truck parked on a commercial lot to sell food?

hi,
i was just wondering how did you approach the property owner. there is a hotdog/burger food truck parked at a lowes in town. the trailer stays there nightly. i was thinking about doing the same at another location.

i was thinking to have pics of my possible setup and menu. is the space usually rented and would they allow you to plug in your trailer for power?
koloa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2008, 08:40 AM   #2
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

PM Smokin It

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:24 PM   #3
LoneStarBarbeque Co.
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by koloa View Post
hi,
i was just wondering how did you approach the property owner. there is a hotdog/burger food truck parked at a lowes in town. the trailer stays there nightly. i was thinking about doing the same at another location.

i was thinking to have pics of my possible setup and menu. is the space usually rented and would they allow you to plug in your trailer for power?
I would like to know what you find out on this. I am interested in doing the same thing.
LoneStarBarbeque Co. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:05 PM   #4
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Lowes, Home Depot and Wal Mart usually will charge 3% of your intake and that goes to charity of their choice.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:45 PM   #5
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Oh Man I wish this were legal here
We would be doing it now

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:53 PM   #6
MrsMista
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomEmery View Post
Oh Man I wish this were legal here
We would be doing it now
You mean all those vendors I see on the streets of L.A. are illegal vendors? Who would have thunk it?
MrsMista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 01:40 AM   #7
Qcrue2U
is one Smokin' Farker

hehahhaha

Yea, I tried as well in my home town... the HD said no farkin way!!!
el cheapO gasser
ECB - Smoke N Grill
mini webber clone, with warming rack!
Brinkman - Verticle
My arsenals of the trade!! \m/

Qcrue2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 04:50 PM   #8
koloa
Got Wood.

i wonder, who is the person that grants the permission? i think the best bet for me is to approach the lowes manager, where the hotdog trailer is parked, and just ask a few questions on the business relationship.
koloa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 03:20 PM   #9
hoverlover
Found some matches.

I will have my trailer set up in a business parking lot across from a home depot starting in December. I simply approached the business owner about the idea and he agreed. He had a Cajun food vender there in the past so I'm sure that helped in allowing me to get set up there. He is allowing me to install a temporary power pole there, similar to what you see a contractor put on a new lot when building a house. He has a water spigot there i can use to fill my water tanks as long as the health dept approves it. If you would like specifics on what I'm paying to be there you can PM me.

I tried getting set up at a lowes before this location. I had to call their corporate HQ and speak with them. I never could get them to fully understand what I was wanting to do. They were trying to get me to fill out some form that would get me on a list of suppliers. I dnt remember the exact details of it but I finally gave up. This other location is really the one I wanted anyway.

Last edited by hoverlover; 10-27-2008 at 03:30 PM.. Reason: Answere the rest of his post.
hoverlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:31 AM   #10
Rightstuff
is one Smokin' Farker

I thought about drafting a business letter that detailed my business; and describes the type of food we serve and services we provide. I would also describe how my being there will benefit their business and bring repeat customers to their location. I would also including pictures of our set-up, and copies of insurance, licensing, and HD permits. I would end the letter with a "sales pitch" of sort about rent amounts and things of that nature. If I get something drafted up, I will post here for your feed back.
Rightstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:52 PM   #11
Uncle B
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

There is one more thing you might wont to looking in to, that is a general business license from the city you are planing to set up in. That is what I had to do to keep the city off of me.
Uncle B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:23 AM   #12
hossrocks
On the road to being a farker

I currently have a small stand set up outside a very popular country bar. Brisket, Pulled pork sammies, burgers, dogs and chorizos. My kitchen is on site 24/7. We had to jump through several hoops with the city prior to opening up. We pay 10% of gross sales each week to the property/bar owner. We have been there for the last two months and it seems to be wrking out. Not huge money but we are getting the product/name out to the masses.
hossrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 07:49 AM   #13
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hossrocks View Post
I currently have a small stand set up outside a very popular country bar. Brisket, Pulled pork sammies, burgers, dogs and chorizos. My kitchen is on site 24/7. We had to jump through several hoops with the city prior to opening up. We pay 10% of gross sales each week to the property/bar owner. We have been there for the last two months and it seems to be wrking out. Not huge money but we are getting the product/name out to the masses.
Would like to see some pics of your set-up!
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:40 AM   #14
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMista View Post
You mean all those vendors I see on the streets of L.A. are illegal vendors? Who would have thunk it?
Riverside Co. is great for contest vending but not this

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote