Our First Comp Was Saturday

I’d give those boxes 9s but the bird was closer to 8. Work on the uniformity otherwise outstanding job!

Thanks for the kind words. Man, I hear you. I've worked for 6 months on trimming for uniformity , (I was the chicken and brisket cook) and it's not as easy as it sounds. I'd like to say the camera is unfriendly..., but in reality it's not. I thought I had at least 10 thighs to pick-6 from but I was wrong. Things change.

Here are a couple of photos of the big pan of raw chicken, and another "camera perspective" of the box.

J8sGs2J.jpg

iKuA3co.jpg

Did you get any comment cards for the 5 or 6? If not, that sucks. When I judge, I always try to give a comment card for a 6 or less.

Especially the 5! 7, 8, 8, 7, 7 and then out of the blue a 5! What did that judge taste that was so different than everyone else?

A little dyslexia on the comment card confused us, but I think the ding was saltiness. Thank goodness that score was tossed

Excellent results !
When's you next cook ? :)

I had some scrambled farm eggs just this morning. Next official BBQ cook is undetermined.

OK, I will go into the deep end...

I keep looking at the brisket and I really don't see 8's for the presentation. What am I missing?

I don't know.... Judging is subjective. I did my best on this day.

Solid performance! Glad to hear that you are happy with your first contest. There's only one way to go from here. We want to hear that you got a call at the next one.

That decision is on the table, we were kind of whipped.

Great job. Now that your feet are wet, are you hooked?

Oh boy,... maybe. But I have a different respect for the gals and guys that do this several weekends each year.

Glendive, MT is needing some more teams next weekend. Sign up and do it again.

Back