MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  



Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2018, 10:45 PM   #1
medic92
is one Smokin' Farker

 
medic92's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-24-16
Location: Mount Sterling, IL
Name/Nickname : Kevin
Default Does it ever go away?

We catered a wedding this evening, pulled pork, brisket, mac & cheese, slaw. We added a snack bar with buffalo ranch chicken dip, fresh fruit, vegetable trays and a trail mix bar. Everything went great and they enjoyed the food.


After it was over, I had the same feeling I've had with every catering job. "Wow, I can't believe we got away with it!" As if we're just playing at doing this and I'm surprised we pulled it off again. It's weird.
__________________
Peoria Custom Cookers Meat Monster (Internal Firebox)
PCC Charcoal Kettle
22 inch Weber Kettle
medic92 is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 05-30-2018, 06:40 PM   #2
Gibbs
Is lookin for wood to cook with.
 
Gibbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-29-13
Location: North Augusta, SC
Default

Ha! I know the feeling exactly. Relief, exhaustion, and proudness(not sure that’s a word) wrapped into one feeing.
__________________
Klose, Primo, Custom Cabinet pellet, UDS, Large BGE
Gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 05-30-2018, 07:18 PM   #3
HBMTN
is One Chatty Farker
 
Join Date: 10-16-08
Location: Virginia
Default

It does not, and the reason is the longer you do it the bigger the jobs get and the more you take on and the pressure is just builds from there. You will look back at what amazes you today about 5 years from now and laugh because you'll think man I could knock that out in my sleep now.
__________________
FEC 120, Lang 84, Custom Off Set
HBMTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 05-30-2018, 07:24 PM   #4
medic92
is one Smokin' Farker

 
medic92's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-24-16
Location: Mount Sterling, IL
Name/Nickname : Kevin
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMTN View Post
It does not, and the reason is the longer you do it the bigger the jobs get and the more you take on and the pressure is just builds from there. You will look back at what amazes you today about 5 years from now and laugh because you'll think man I could knock that out in my sleep now.

This one was more relaxed than the first few because we've got the timing down and we actually write down a schedule and timeline for what we're doing.


Every wedding I've ever attended or been in has had a disaster of some sort that's the talk of the wedding and every anniversary afterwards. At my wedding the flowers weren't wrapped against the cold and were wilted and dead for the wedding. 13 years later we still talk about it.


My biggest fear and what drives me to be as perfect as possible for these events is the fear of being the wedding disaster. "Everything went great but the caterers screwed everything up!" I don't ever want to be the disaster.
__________________
Peoria Custom Cookers Meat Monster (Internal Firebox)
PCC Charcoal Kettle
22 inch Weber Kettle
medic92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:19 PM   #5
bryonlr
Full Fledged Farker
 
bryonlr's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-31-14
Location: columbus,in.
Default

That's exactly how you gain a reputation. Sounds like your well on the way to a very successful business.
bryonlr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 03:46 PM   #6
SwineGuy
Full Fledged Farker

 
Join Date: 10-26-13
Location: Mount Sinai, NY
Default

I been catering for about 3 years now. And I have been progressively busier each year. My feeling after EVERY job is "Man I hope I didn't screw that up." I am relieved when it is over, but I also deal with a sense of dread hoping it all went well.

I do a lot of local social media marketing and get a lot of referrals from the reviews that people write about us on the local community pages. It amazes me how almost everyone I cater goes online to review me. I've been lucky to get great reviews and that has help to expand my business. But whenever I am done with a party I wait for that review to pop up and the dread doesn't go away until I see it. I KNOW the stuff was really good, but I still worry! Only after I get one of those positive reviews do I relax and then get that sense of accomplishment.

I also send follow up emails after the party to see how they liked everything. I seriously have not had a negative response or review...yet I worry.

I've heard how some of the best athletes are driven more by the fear of losing then the desire to win. I guess that is kind of what drives me.
__________________
Struggletown BBQ
Deep South GC 42 / 2 XL Big Green Eggs / Traeger Lil Tex / WSM / 2 Weber kettles
SwineGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 06-20-2018, 08:02 PM   #7
medic92
is one Smokin' Farker

 
medic92's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-24-16
Location: Mount Sterling, IL
Name/Nickname : Kevin
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwineGuy View Post
I been catering for about 3 years now. And I have been progressively busier each year. My feeling after EVERY job is "Man I hope I didn't screw that up." I am relieved when it is over, but I also deal with a sense of dread hoping it all went well.

I do a lot of local social media marketing and get a lot of referrals from the reviews that people write about us on the local community pages. It amazes me how almost everyone I cater goes online to review me. I've been lucky to get great reviews and that has help to expand my business. But whenever I am done with a party I wait for that review to pop up and the dread doesn't go away until I see it. I KNOW the stuff was really good, but I still worry! Only after I get one of those positive reviews do I relax and then get that sense of accomplishment.

I also send follow up emails after the party to see how they liked everything. I seriously have not had a negative response or review...yet I worry.

I've heard how some of the best athletes are driven more by the fear of losing then the desire to win. I guess that is kind of what drives me.

That's the same way we are. We send thank you cards out after every job and if we don't hear anything positive we just assume everything was terrible.

We've been really well-received in our small town. Our Facebook page has 71 reviews. 70 5-star reviews and one 4-star review who still swears she meant to hit five stars. Whenever she comes to the trailer I holler at my wife to get the four-star meat out for her.
__________________
Peoria Custom Cookers Meat Monster (Internal Firebox)
PCC Charcoal Kettle
22 inch Weber Kettle
medic92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 07-13-2018, 12:37 PM   #8
BigThicket
Full Fledged Farker

 
BigThicket's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-04-18
Location: East Texas/West LA
Name/Nickname : Brad
Default

It probably shouldn't.
__________________
There is enough love in this world for everybody, if people will just look. - Vonnegut
BigThicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 01:08 PM   #9
CentralOhioBBQ
Full Fledged Farker
 
Join Date: 06-27-17
Location: Gahanna, Ohio
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic92 View Post
We catered a wedding this evening, pulled pork, brisket, mac & cheese, slaw. We added a snack bar with buffalo ranch chicken dip, fresh fruit, vegetable trays and a trail mix bar. Everything went great and they enjoyed the food.


After it was over, I had the same feeling I've had with every catering job. "Wow, I can't believe we got away with it!" As if we're just playing at doing this and I'm surprised we pulled it off again. It's weird.
In your situation, no. When you cook all your meat in the oven, with liquid smoke, and sell it as authentic BBQ - you'll always have that "I can't believe I got away with it" feeling..

Congrats on pulling it off, though..

Last edited by CentralOhioBBQ; 07-13-2018 at 01:39 PM..
CentralOhioBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 07-13-2018, 01:25 PM   #10
Kimo1
Full Fledged Farker
 
Join Date: 04-18-11
Location: Syracuse, NY
Default

"We send thank you cards out after every job and if we don't hear anything positive we just assume everything was terrible."

Remember, people almost always share a negative review before they would share a positive one. If you don't hear anything, they were probably very happy.
Kimo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 07-20-2018, 02:29 PM   #11
Wicked Smoke BBQ
Full Fledged Farker
 
Join Date: 08-27-13
Location: Canton, NC
Default

We are the same way. I don't believe it ever goes away.
__________________
Wicked Smoke BBQ Company | Myron Mixon 72xc | Rec-Tec 680 |www.wickedsmokebbq.com |
Wicked Smoke BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Forum Custom Search: Enter your Search text below. GOOGLE will search ONLY the BBQ Brethren Forum.
Custom search MAY not work(no display box) in some configurations of Internet Explorer. Please use compliant version of Firefox or Chrome.







All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts