MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:27 AM   #46
Jeffc
Knows what a fatty is.

Ha my son wanted my to put a dtv dish on it LOL

Fired up the trailer yesterday! The generator is not to loud, was a bit concerned, even though the specs were good. Also the hood fan you can't hear at all which is a good thing. Going to fire up and season the cooker today!

Old 04-14-2012, 09:43 AM   #47
Jeffc
Knows what a fatty is.

Well I passed my HD inspection with flying colors! The gal is real nice and helpful. However she did mention something that was wrong to me.

Towards the end she goes you need to buy all prechopped produce cause you can't use your 3 compartment sink. I said really I thought I had read I could. She says nope it is for warewashing only . I say ok wasn't planning on it any way, knowing for a fact I can. The servesafe class addressed it. Still not 100% sure I was right I looked it up in the Iowa food code and it states I can use for produce rinsing and meat thawing as long as the proper cleaning and sanitation is preformed before and after.

Not sure how to nicely prove her wrong as I do want to wash potatoes for fries and potatoe salad. Suggestions?
Old 04-14-2012, 11:58 AM   #48
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

You can try but you'll lose.

Do you have a air gap installed before your main drain? If not, thats whay you cannot use it for produce or rinsing any food. Bacteria from food that goes down the drain can work its way back up into your sinks.

I just saved you a bitch slappin. :)
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:52 PM   #49
Jeffc
Knows what a fatty is.

Spot on! Just did some more searching and our code has been amended to include an air break on all culinary sinks or sinks used to wash linens (previously allowed). So this begs the question can't I add one? I see some drain air gaps online that look to be easily installed on the main drain. The code speaks more to siphoning vs bacteria growth
Old 04-14-2012, 02:13 PM   #50
Bbq Bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffc View Post
Spot on! Just did some more searching and our code has been amended to include an air break on all culinary sinks or sinks used to wash linens (previously allowed). So this begs the question can't I add one? I see some drain air gaps online that look to be easily installed on the main drain. The code speaks more to siphoning vs bacteria growth
Absolutely! As long as you can get a 6" gap somewhere in the drain system you should be good for a reinspection.

Hard to see mine but i just seperated the drain and ran it into a large reducer.

By imn88fan at 2009-11-11
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:20 PM   #51
PCDoctor_1979
Full Fledged Farker

There's a simpler answer that works for the Iowa HD. Get a plastic tub and mark it "Veggie Wash Only". You can fill that with water out of your triple sink, rinse off your produce, and pour the water down the wash basin when finished. Much simpler than messing with the plumbing.
Brian Sweeney - CBJ #3691 - '77 Step Van Mobile Kitchen, Horizon Marshall, WSM with Pro Q Stacker, Weber Kettle & Smokey Joe GOLD.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Clarke's Third Law
PCDoctor_1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:45 PM   #52
Jeffc
Knows what a fatty is.

Interesting angle and thanks for the info. I am going to call my HD gal on Monday and figure this out! She is young and has a real good attitude...give her a few years and she will be what we all sterotype the health inspector to be.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:00 AM   #53
Jeffc
Knows what a fatty is.

Wow...just got done ahhh havin a cocktail an trying to figure out my new POS, quite an adventure! I have never used a cash reg in my life! Actually pretty intuitive and my training is set for next week. But really

Just wanted to share this. I have been very blessed in my carreer and a good opportunity arose, and earned every bit of it! But good god what the hell have I done! This has been way more work than owning a successful tech company :). But you know what?, loving every bit of it! And thanks to everyone here for the priceless info!
Cheers Jeff
Old 04-15-2012, 03:06 AM   #54
Jeffc
Knows what a fatty is.

Oh yea one more thing.... I am pulling this beast over to the SAMs club in DSM after a night of vending so don't freaking laugh! May bring the smaller rig but that takes way more work.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:21 PM   #55
PCDoctor_1979
Full Fledged Farker

Where you vending somewhere in Central Iowa last night? Hell of a night for your first outing!
Brian Sweeney - CBJ #3691 - '77 Step Van Mobile Kitchen, Horizon Marshall, WSM with Pro Q Stacker, Weber Kettle & Smokey Joe GOLD.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Clarke's Third Law
PCDoctor_1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:09 PM   #56
Jeffc
Knows what a fatty is.

Ha yea it would have been. No what I meant is I am bringing this over to the Sams Tourny in July following a full night of vending. Tight schedule but don't want to miss it, and since the rig will have everything I won't have to pack up the comp rig and stuff!
Old 04-18-2012, 03:29 PM   #57
PlanB-BBQ
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Sweet rig, you are the man!!
PlanB-BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:26 PM   #58
vhram
Full Fledged Farker

Awesome rig !
vhram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:08 PM   #59
Bigdog

So just where do you plan to seat up for business? I plan on making the trek to Cedar Rapids in July and would love to go Czech you out. Maybe you will even be vending at the Czech Festival that I will be attending, hence the Czech you out reference. I am 100% Czech by the way.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:15 AM   #60
Jeffc
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhram View Post
Awesome rig !
Thanks!