Memphis Bbq

chilidog

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
My wife and daughter are in Memphis, is central Bbq a good place to go? I notice there are three of them. Are they all good?

GO just South of Memphis (about 3 miles) to Horn Lake MS and hit up Memphis BBQ CO. I like everything but the brisket...

I was in Memphis this past weekend and visited both. Central had a line out the door, but I'm not sure why. It wasn't bad by any means, but it wasn't worth the wait. Rendezvous was much better.

I am NOT dogging on Memphis BBQ. I'm just not a fan of wet ribs. It's good, but I'm a dry bone guy and like to use sauce sparingly!!

Went to the one on Summer Ave. and wasn't impressed. The original is supposed to be the best from what I have read.

I would recommend Topps for a chopped pork sandwich. Not the best bbq or slaw or sauce I have ever had but a dang good sandwich in my book. There are several locations. Good for a quick lunch.

Rendevous was hands down the worst BBQ from a highly rated q joint I ever had. Left there and went to Krystal's...

I am late to the discussion.Of all the"Tourist Trap" joints in Memphis,Central is the best, Rendevous( more hype and overrated in my opinion,than most)and Corky's after that.Tops is a good local chain.The BBQ SHOP and Interstate BBQ are good but I would not want my daughter and wife going to them alone.Most of the BEST Q in Memphis should be visited during daylight hours with a larger group of people and not alone or by unoccompanied women.That is just a fact.Memphis BBQ Company in Horn Lake is O.K. too and pretty much safe.But then again,WHERE is safe these days? :sad:

I've walked out of Rendevous and couldn't even finish half of my food. I tried Central (on Central) with a coworker and we thought it was amazing, but when we sent another coworker later-he said they had to leave because their food was insanely spicy, so he calls it his worst bbq experience.

Central (on central) is the best branch of that joint. There are a couple of franchises popping up in East Memphis and Nashville. Going to be interesting to see how those turn out.

My two favorites are Memphis BBQ Co and One and Only BBQ.

Interesting to me how people knock wet ribs. I'll take bbq wet, dry, heavy smoke, light smoke, etc as long as it's tasty, tender, and made with care.

Rendezvous provided me with one of the most memorable meals I've ever eaten. Unfortunately, for the food it was not in a good way. However, the building and atmosphere are quite nice. I might recommend them for beer, ... but not ribs. I had much better food at Cozy Corner.

When i lived up there, there was a place (really a dive) not far from our office I would go to on the corner of Getwell and East Raines. Nothing fancy but good. I see on maps that it is called Toms BBQ. Not sure if that was the name 17 years ago or not.

I realize I'm a bit late to this party, but I just registered on the forum and also just got back from Memphis. Sad to say, I was not impressed with any of the bbq joints there. Central was the best of them, but I wouldn't consider it even in the top 10 of bbq places I've been

Been to Rendezvous twice. Never again, worst crap I have ever had. If you're in Memphis, skip the que joints and go to Gus's Fried Chicken! If you really want que, drive about 20 minutes south on I55 to Horn Lake MS. Memphis BBQ Company, Melissa Cookston's place. Best Memphis BBQ around the area.

Back