Where to take brisket temp?

D

Dave Falkner

I did a brisket yesterday, Sat 430 pm took it off at 11 am sun in the flat it read 192 on the hand held

however i was getting all kind of #s on the maverick-et depending where I put it

so the question is where do you guys put the maverick during a smoke?

btw the flat was a bit dry for me but everyone else was raving

the burnt ends were delsih but a bit stringy

I'd throw away the Maverick, that's what I did. At one point it has told me a cold pork shoulder is 162 degrees and a partially cooked brisket was 352 degrees. Use a handheld thermometer.

I go into the thick part of the flat, although many say to do the point. When it slides in like "butter" as they say, it is done. Usually between 190-205 degrees depending on that particular cut.

Probe the flat, not the point. The point will be tender for a good long while. The flat has a much shorter window of opportunity.

When you get to 190 or so you need to start probing the flat. If the probe doesn't slide in and feel like peanut butter, cook another half hour...then try again.

Get the flat where you want it...the point will follow just like a loyal puppy dog.

IMHO, when the point reaches 200, it is done and ready to rest. The flat will be fine, any dryness (shouldn't be ) can easily be cured by soaking in the au jus or sauce if you dare.

Back