MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:08 AM   #1
Smiter Q
is One Chatty Farker

Question Curious question about an apricot fruit juice brine. Advice please.

I just made a brine from Adam Perry Lang's book, "Serious Barbecue." Usually for my brines I do a ratio of 1/4 C each of salt and sugar per quart.
As most general brines use 1C per gallon of each, I always divide it down to a quart ratio of measures.

Anyway, I just made an apricot brine. Called for 2 Cups of juice, 2 cups of water, and 1/2 cup each of salt and sugar. It was only after I made the brine that I realized that this is heavier on the salt per the ratio I usually use. Actually double. I was going to put a 3.5 pound pork loin(not tenderloin) in the brine for 12 hours. Though now I am concerned that the loin may come out too salty if I do so. Wondering if I should remake the brine with 1/4 cup each of salt and sugar.

Curious to what the Brethren think. Adam Perry Lang really seems to know his stuff... but I am concerned on this ratio.
I am cooking if for some friends who just had a baby 2 days ago, and really want them to enjoy it.

I am open to thoughts and ideas. As of now the meat is NOT in the brine.
Maybe a shorter length of time then the 12 hours?

Thanks for your thoughts!

If interested, the link to his awesome book is below. But please help answer my question before you browse it!

Amazon.com: Serious Barbecue: Smoke, Char, Baste, and Brush Your Way to Great Outdoor Cooking (9781401323066): Adam Perry Lang: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51BlB%2BI7A8L.@@AMEPARAM@@51BlB%2BI7A8L
Brian: Weber: OTG + Lime Performer - - Keeping the Armor On - Eph. 6:11

Last edited by Smiter Q; 07-18-2011 at 01:16 AM..
Smiter Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2011, 12:28 AM   #2
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Wow...that is 2 cups salt per gallon, quite a strong brine indeed! It might be a misprint. I assume you must have cooked the salt and sugar in, because I've never seen that much per gallon, especially with fruit juice as the liquid base which already has sugar in it.

Instead of remaking it, just dilute it with 2 more cups each of juice and water which will put you at your normal strength. This will at least save you having to mix in salt and sugar again, and you could save half for another time.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-18-2011, 01:10 AM   #3
Smiter Q
is One Chatty Farker

Chris,

When you put it like that..." 2 cups of salt per gallon"...WOW.... yeah .. definitely too too salty for my taste.

I read your post and then bolted to the store before they closed. Got there with a few minutes to spare. Taking your advice and adding more juice and water. Was thinking that was the right move... thanks for helping on that. Will post the cook thread tomorrow evening!

I have noticed at times that French trained chefs do add more salt to recipies. Maybe a coincidence.. maybe not. Maybe even a conspiracy!

Back to the kitchen now to add more juice and H2O.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:19 AM   #4
APL
Found some matches.

First off thanks for using my recipe and the link through. Saw the thread and thought it was important to jump in. The brine recipe is correct and not a misprint. I create a strong one because of the shorter brining period, which I felt was more suitable for people who did not want to plan 24 hours. If you just ate the crust, you might think it is "just a bit", but when sliced and eaten as you and your guests would, it is perfectly balanced. Not too salty in flavor. It is suitable for the 7# that I suggest. Don't use the same amount of brine for 3#, it is proportional. Just cut the brine liquid in half. I am sure your modification worked and was still great, just different. I tell people to use recipes as guidelines and adjust to suit personal tastes all the time, as long as they keep to the spirit. Otherwise, it is just a different recipe all together - which is cool too.

Anyway I take my BBQ seriously and constantly questioning, so when I saw the post, I decided to make the recipe again, in fact eating it right now. I have all my recipes vigorously tested, but sometimes things do slip through. Always on the look out for feedback.

Have a great summer!!!

Cheers,

APL
APL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2011, 10:57 AM   #5
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

That Adam Perry Lang is one helluva guy! How cool was that?
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2011, 11:07 AM   #6
bover
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
That Adam Perry Lang is one helluva guy! How cool was that?
Very cool indeed.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:27 PM   #7
Grabnabber
Babbling Farker

Celebrity drop-in!

Old 07-20-2011, 02:46 PM   #8
Smiter Q
is One Chatty Farker

Wow, APL, Thanks for stopping in on the thread. I did cook this pork loin the other night for my friends who just had a baby. I wanted to treat them to something very special, and your recipe was EXACTLY what was needed!! I appreciate your answer, and it makes sense to me. The night I did the brine, I did upsize the both the juice and water. As it was a smaller roast than the recipe called for and I was trying to avoid an over saturation. Now I understand better where you are coming from. I have 1/2 the brine leftover and will do another cook. At that time I will add the ratio back to the original recipe and give it a try as well. Was even thinking of trying it on some thick chops.

I have not had time to make a detailed post of the cook, but I will during the weekend. For now I will say that the pork loin came out AMAZING!!!!! They loved it, and there was enough left over for some cold sandwiches for them the next couple of days. The new mom told me it was the "best meal" she has had in a long time.

I will post more photos on my upcoming thread of the cook, but for now I think the below two photos show how FANTASTIC the meal came out. I love your book. This was the 2nd recipe I have made, and plan on making as many as I can before I have to return it to the library. (Plan on buying it too!) The cilantro apricot glaze was what also pushed this meal into the stratosphere. I set some of aside, added a little salt and then put a few tablespoons of it into some basmati rice. Perfect accompaniment to the pork.

Enjoy the photos!

I would be glad to be a recipe tester for you! Just let me know!

Last edited by Smiter Q; 07-20-2011 at 06:56 PM..

Old 07-20-2011, 03:26 PM   #9
APL
Found some matches.

That looks amazing. Good times!!!
Keep me posted on your Q'ing. The photos are great!
APL
APL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2011, 03:29 PM   #10
Smiter Q
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by APL View Post
That looks amazing. Good times!!!
Keep me posted on your Q'ing. The photos are great!
APL

Thanks, and will do!

Old 07-20-2011, 03:33 PM   #11
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Man that does look good. By the way, what is a library ?
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2011, 03:40 PM   #12
Smiter Q
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel00 View Post
Man that does look good. By the way, what is a library ?
A library is where people go who due to TEXAS summer air condition bills nearing the stratosphere,
can not outright purchase wonderful top notch BBQ cookbooks at the moment!

Last edited by Smiter Q; 07-20-2011 at 04:09 PM..