Just Joined Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BamaJim

Hello to all you Bandera Brethren N Sistren!

I'm Jim from Hoover, Alabama--just down the road from Birmingham. I got a Bandera last week, got it together, and, thanks to all the good info many of you have contributed, I've been doing some of the mods suggested in the Bandera 101 doc and elsewhere. When the silicone seal finishes curing (and assuming I can still open the smoke chamber at that point), I'll "smoke it in." The heat deflector mod is installed, and I'm working on the expanded metal grate.

I'm a casual outdoor cook. I've had a water smoker for years--mostly smoked turkeys, chickens, some ribs and also a standing rib roast once. Maybe we'll smoke some pork loins and ribs for New Year's Day, if the Bandera is all smoked in and ready by then.

The most barbecuing I ever did at once was an all-day smoke of about 130 butts on a large open pit owned by a local Roman Catholic church. Two of us burned up a 5-inch hickory tree and dispensed three or four containers of Mortons' Salt before they got up to temp, and we smelled like hickory smoke for a week--which wasn't all that bad, come to think of it. :D When we finished, we went by the church with an offering of a butt or two for the priest, who was Irish. "It's glad I'll be to be takin' 'em," he said--"for the poor, of course." Either this man was truly a saint, or was recalling his own vow of poverty--I'll never know which.

Still, there's no doubt about it--I'm still a novice.

I'm just glad that this site exists, and that you all are willing to share what you've learned. Thanks.

Jim

Welcome aboard, brother. Hang on tight, it gets loopy around here some times.

it gets loopy around here some times.

Sometimes? :D

Welcome. Seems we're getting quite a group from the southeast!!

Welcome Jim. This is a great group of people that are willing to help you anyway they can. The info you can get here is outstanding. You won't have any problem getting up and going.

Welcome My New Brother! Here's wishing you many happy hours of Q'n and sharing here on the forum!

Solid

Welcome to the yard. Take your coat off, kick off your shoes,
and stay awhile. Feel free to chime in when ever the mood strikes.

hey, we gpot a bamaJim and a bamasmoker!! They be the bamabrethren??

ok, sorry, i couldnt resist.

Welcome to our humble abode Jim... hang on, visit often and you'll be out of novice mode in dozen cooks. Someones always around to chime in, so ya wont have to wait long for help or answers.

Welcome Brother Jim! Having another member from Alabama is enormous, and I’m not just saying that because I’m a 100 miles to your north. You have definitely come to the right place for Q knowledge and encouragement. The largest Q I ever did at one time was about 540 lbs. of pork butts and 250 chickens on Memorial Day weekend. It was a fund raiser for the local volunteer fire department and I consider myself a novice as well.

Ken
Limrock, Alabama

Hey, he stole my avatar! :D
I live in Kennesaw, GA, so we are kind of neighbors. I've actually stayed at the Courtyard Marriott in Hoover a few times when I have had business in the area. I'm new to these boards also, although I used to lurk on the old yahoo mailing list for years.

Don't forget Carl in Tuscaloosa.

Hey Jim, welcome.

You ever try Southern Flavor Seasoning, made in Selma, or Dreamland BBQ sauce from Tuscaloosa?

Awesome stuff. Alot of us have sort of adopted that stuff.

Hey, he stole my avatar!

Now boys, play nice, i'll share my umbrella if'n you'd like. :lol:

NOT! :twisted:

Solidkick said:
Hey, he stole my avatar!

OK, this avatar should stay unique for a while.....

Saiko said:
Solidkick said:
Hey, he stole my avatar!

OK, this avatar should stay unique for a while.....

Damn, I didn't know pics of my brother in law's ex was on the net........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back