Generator Question

Dex

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Looking at a Honda eu2000i..... will it run my FEC-100, a couple table top steam tables, a small fan, radio, and some lights?

Yes, it can run my RV without using the AC, so you should be good to go. You may want to do the wattage math though.

W=V*A
Wattage = voltage times amperage
We know the wattage is 2K
and the voltage is or should be 110/120
this means
2000 = 120(A)
or
A = 2000/120
AMP = 16.6

So you cannot have more than 16.6 amps at peak. Usually peak is 10 to 20% more than continual service rating.

Add up the wattage or the amperage of what you want to put on the generator at one time. If it is less than the rating you are fine.

Remember that cordage also increases the amperage draw.

As Sean Connery says in "The Name of the Rose",
"So endeth the lesson."

Anyone know anything about Generac Generators? I picked this one up because it was only $399.... but I haven't even taken it out of the box.

I know its not going to be as quiet as the Hondas..... but its a little easier on the wallet!

Like Ford said the steam table pans will draw the most. The one's I have are 1200 watts, so they can eat up 10 amps each.

Anyone know anything about Generac Generators? I picked this one up because it was only $399.... but I haven't even taken it out of the box.

I know its not going to be as quiet as the Hondas..... but its a little easier on the wallet!

Having owned both here is my input.

Generac's are not just louder than the Honda E series, they are LOUDER!. You need them in a bunker to quiet them down. If you plan on using them at an event or to power a trailer they will probably exceed the allowable db. of the sound ordinance.
If it is for emergency or construction use you will be O.K., but may present problems camping, vending or at events.

This was written from my experiences. If you want a quiet generator you need to get an electronic inverter style, like the Honda E series. There are several other companies that make them though I cannot attest to the quality.

W=V*A

So you cannot have more than 16.6 amps at peak. Usually peak is 10 to 20% more than continual service rating.

very important in choosing generators. Some generators quote their peak wattage and others quote their running wattage. You want to make sure you do the math using the running wattage.

also, if it has a heating element its going to suck the power.

Ok, so my single table top steam table list on the back 1200 watts. However, I only have it set at 2 on the dial or maybe 3 at max. Does it still draw 1200 watts when it is that low?

EDIT:

Ok so I went ahead and made a list of what all I would run to see if a 2000 W generator would work. Here is what I come up with.

FEC-100
Provided Information: 5 Amps, 120 V
Calculated Informiation: 600 Watts

Steam table
Provided Information: 120 V, 1200 Watts... again, 1200 MAX with dial set at highest setting? I usually use 2 or 3 on the dial.
Calculated Information: 10 Amps ..... if calculated using the full 1200 Watts

Lighting - I use 3 thin 21" fluorescent lights that are linked together. I assume info is PER light.
Provided Information: 120 V, 16 Watts
Calculated Information: .133 Amps

Radio
Provided Information: 120 V, 250 W
Calculated Information: 2.1 Amps

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Dex
Any response to my question about the 1200 Watts on the steam table if it is on a low setting? Thanks for the link on the Watt Meter.... Ill pick me up one.

Any response to my question about the 1200 Watts on the steam table if it is on a low setting? Thanks for the link on the Watt Meter.... Ill pick me up one.

typically the way they limited the voltage in things like that is to run them through a potiementer (or reostat for larger draws). This creates a voltage divider using resisters. Problem here is when you turn it down, you don't change the input power, you just heat up a resistor to disspate that power you don't want. Its not like a propane regulator where you limit the flow of gas.

So no, you wouldn't change the draw when only running on "2".

The only way to really lower the temp and draw at the same time is to use a PWM and I doubt you have that on your system. Not unless you have electronic control on it.

So a 2400 watt generator would do it then? Im looking at this Yamaha as well

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outdoor/products/modelspecs/475/0/specs.aspx

thats a 2000 watt generator.

again, run wattage and max wattage are not the same thing. You need to caculate for run wattage.

Keep in mind that different companies "size" their generators based on running and peak. So one company may rate that generator as 2400, another would rate it as 2000. Both are valid, but I think rating them as the peak power is very misleading.

based on your numbers, you need 17.233 run time amps. That generator is going to be maxed out, if it works. I would look for something bigger.

thats a 2000 watt generator.

again, run wattage and max wattage are not the same thing. You need to caculate for run wattage.

Keep in mind that different companies "size" their generators based on running and peak. So one company may rate that generator as 2400, another would rate it as 2000. Both are valid, but I think rating them as the peak power is very misleading.

based on your numbers, you need 17.233 run time amps. That generator is going to be maxed out, if it works. I would look for something bigger.

If I took the above mentioned radio out of the picture, the Honda eu2000i would work then? Or is the 15 amps drawn alone from the steam table and smoker already more than ideal?

I'd go for the EU3000i or get two of the EU2000i units & the parallel kit. Remember, you're just starting out here and you will end up with more toys. Why have to buy a bigger unit later? Just my 2 cents worth.

If I took the above mentioned radio out of the picture, the Honda eu2000i would work then? Or is the 15 amps drawn alone from the steam table and smoker already more than ideal?

Dex,

Lets look at this from a slightly different angle.

You are planning a offsite cook with your FEC. You figure you will 1lb of pellets for the cook. Will you only bring 1 lb of pellets with you, or will you bring a little extra?

Purchase a larger generator than your present needs. This will cover you for any math errors or lil' things you may have forgotten like cell phone chargers etc. It will also allow you to expand a little in the future without having to go through another capital purchase.

My 2000w Honda runs my FEC500 fine. I do bring my one of my Honda 3000's for comps so I can run my 100 and all the other stuff. The 3000 is quieter.

Back