KCBS Team of the Year 2007

Ford

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Cool Smoke overall, Quau chicken, Pellet Envy ribs, Buttrub.com pork AND brisket. Full results on the KCBS site.

There are over 1600 unique names on the list this year. Great Lakes BBQ finished tied for 79th overall (my first time in the top 100) and tied for 39th in chicken (my first time on the chicken list). Also made each list this year.

Remember that everybody on this list is a winner and if you made the list you're probably within the top 15% of teams in the country that compete in KCBS events. My guess is there are between 4000 - 6000 teams that cook at least one KCBS contest a year. So 1 point may put you about 600th on the list for a category but that's 600 out of maybe 6000.

Last edited:
Congrat's Ford!!!!!! And to all who made the lists!!!

We made one list....:roll:.....not complaining to badly with only 4 comps under our belt though.

Last edited:
Congrat's Ford!!!!!!

We made one list....:roll:.....not complaining to badly with only 4 comps under our belt though.
I remember making the list for the first time. Congrats. We better enjoy it because now everybody that show up gets 25 points plus the number of teams in the contest up to 100. TOY is now all about the big boys and the little guys don't matter.

If I counted down the lists correctly, then the Belly Brothers were like tied for 33rd in brisket and tied for 41st in TOTY....not bad for 5 sanctioned contests.....I'll take it!!
Now....if I could only win the lottery and then be able to cook 25-30 contests a year, because that's the only way I could afford it!!:mrgreen:

If I could, I would compete every week of the year except Xmas. I cant unless you guys sponsor me. So let the big boys win. God bless em.

Congrats to Tuffy and all others on list.
Wow, we made the list in pork. One the bottom mind you, but we made the list.

Congrats Tuffy!
Hey Ron, I see ya, I'm right above ya! Pass me a beer :lol:
When I first saw that, I read the list backwards. I saw a 2 next to us and told my wife we were second in pork... then I looked at the list again and told her never mind. :icon_blush:

I made the list for brisket.
I dont understand how points are awarded though.

Hey Ford,
The Anchormen could use you for our chicken man.
We are doing just fine in our other categories, but can always do better:rolleyes:

Hey Ford,
The Anchormen could use you for our chicken man.
We are doing just fine in our other categories, but can always do better:rolleyes:
You took Mike's class. I use Slab's products with some modification and Mike's method at a lower heat in the FE with slightly longer times (start at 9:15). Now not sure Slab's taste works in NE so I'd stay with your flavor profile for the other meats. And I buy honey by the half gallon jug now. Last maybe 2 contests.

Hope I see you out this way sometime during the season. Don't expect I'll get East of Ohio although my boss is threatening me with an assignment in northern NJ a little West of NYC. I pray every night that the client doesn't sign :biggrin:

Guess we were tied for 39th overall, somewhere in the cellar in chicken, little bit further in the cellar in ribs, tied for 38th in pork and tied for 25th brisket. Not a bad year, especially given how it started out.

Congrats to everyone who saw their name on the list and especially to those who got called to take the walk last night at the banquet! Like Ford said... anyone on this list is probably top 15% of the teams competing out there nationwide.

I made the list for brisket.
I dont understand how points are awarded though.

Congrats to all who are on the lists. We made the list for chicken, brisket and overall. I don't understand the rating either. But it does'nt matter, we are just glad to be on there somewhere.:smile:

Congrats to all who are on the lists. We made the list for chicken, brisket and overall. I don't understand the rating either. But it does'nt matter, we are just glad to be on there somewhere.:smile:

Yeah, actually because of the new system in place beggining March 1, it doesn't matter much now BUT to get a rundown on the old system (that includes 2007 contests, go to www.kcbs.us/pdf/TeamOfTheYearCalculation.pdf

More useless facts on TOY

501 teams got a top 5 overall call in 2007. Not sure exactly how many comps but pretty sure it is over 250 so 1250 top 5 places or an average of 2.5 for each team on the list.

And that means that over 1100 other teams got calls in categories but finished out of the top 5 overall in 2007.

122 teams got listed in all 5 categories, 122 listed in 4 of 5 categories, 171 listed in 3 of 5 categories, 299 listed in 2 of 5 categories and 951 listed in 1 of 5 category. 1665 total.

I'm stoked we were 36th overall, 70th in ribs,75th in brisket,84th in butts, and everyones favorite chicken 160th. Congrats to everyone.

We actually only competed once last year in a kcbs comp, and we made the list for brisket! Yeah!

Good showing, Ford!

in a nutshell - if you finish in the top 5 in a category you get the following points:
5 - 1st
4 - 2nd
3 - 3rd
2 - 4th
1 - 5th
Now depending on number of teams in a contest you could earn a x2 or a x3 multipiler. They took your best five finishes throughout the year to get the score

of course that doesttter any more for '08 becuse they changed the formula.

Back