• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Barbacoa street tacos

G3BBQTEAM

Reaction score
Does anyone have a Great recipie for Barbacoa tacos? I've tried many but can't seem to find the right one yet!!

P07-25-12_17-31.jpg

Well, what kinda meat are you gonna use? I use beef cheeks and braise them till they are pullable.

The traditional way, I was taught, is to use unseasoned meat, cheek is good, chuck works too, any meat that has connective tissue and responds to a long slow cook. Then wrap the unseasoned meat in a banana or maguey leaf and steam in a coal fired pit until tender. There is a place out here, that is known for their Barbacoa that uses a large pot, layers the beef cuts and offal as well, with maguey leaves, covers and roasts it for several hours. They add water from time to time, to keep the steam rolling. The flavor is added once the meat is pulled. The offal if offered separately and is also flavored after chopping.

Thanks fellas, I think I'm going to try the Chuck for now and may step it up later by using cheek meat, or even the cow head!!!

God I miss me some good Barbacoa down in TX...unable to find so far here in MO. In addition to the cheek meat I've seen tongue added in as well. I've never had it done with chuck but it should be a passable sub. I guess I need to search here and find a good recipe to try to make on my own because if there is Barbacoa in MO it must be well off the beaten track. They do sell cheek and tongue here at my local Wally. Marty have you shared your recipe in a previous post. Hmmm...I'm betting Cowgirl mite be a good lead to investigate. G3BBQ I hope you post it when you give it a try!

You gotta use beef cheeks if you wanna go authentic. Around here it is seasoned fairly simple but when you add in some lime, onion, cilantro... :wink:
Very tasty but also very fatty.. 2 corn tortillas are needed. In Tx, you down a few of those tacos along with some Big Red soda.. then go take a long nap.

You gotta use beef cheeks if you wanna go authentic. Around here it is seasoned fairly simple but when you add in some lime, onion, cilantro... :wink:
Very tasty but also very fatty.. 2 corn tortillas are needed. In Tx, you down a few of those tacos along with some Big Red soda.. then go take a long nap.

this exactly as he says. gonna grab me a big red at lunch now.

Hmmm, tongue is not barbacoa as I was taught, the tongue was pulled out, chopped and spiced and served as lengua. I need to make some lengua tacos, never made those before.

Have you considered using Oxtails? I only mention it because the Kroger near me usually carries them so perhaps they do elsewhere. I've made them before using a braising technique and served them over mashed turnips with a spiced honey/clove sauce. They were damn good. Could work well for your tacos too.

Beef cheeks mixed with tongue, eyes, and everything else found on a beef head is well cabeza.

I have never bought or heard of anyone using anything but cheek for barbacoa. Lengua is tongue and you cant disguise that as barbacoa either, I say smoke or crockpot a cheek tell tender with a nice pinch of salt use lime, onion and cilantro two corn tortilla(JS-TX:wink:) and watch the barbacoa disappear.

Back