raw uncured/unsmoked picnic ham

bluffman2

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
what yall say? smoke at 225 until it reaches internal of 160 and then wrap and take off at 190?

Basically the other half of a whole pork shoulder. You can cook it just like you would Boston butt. Personally, I don't wrap, but however you do it, I would just cook it until it is tender. I would say it is going to be closer to 200.

are you wanting a pulled pork type of meat or more like a roast/ham steak kind of style?

Basically the other half of a whole pork shoulder. You can cook it just like you would Boston butt. Personally, I don't wrap, but however you do it, I would just cook it until it is tender. I would say it is going to be closer to 200.
This. It has a different texture than a butt, kind of courser, pulls into larger pieces for me.

So what’s the trick in getting it to slice. I’ve smoked hundreds of thousands of lbs of meat but never uncured ham

So what’s the trick in getting it to slice. I’ve smoked hundreds of thousands of lbs of meat but never uncured ham
If you have a method you like for shoulder, use that.

No trick, just cook it to a lower IT. Your initial temp was about right. Somewhere between 185 and 190. It is not uncured ham. It is uncurred front leg. Cooks the same as boston butt, just a little leaner.

No trick, just cook it to a lower IT. Your initial temp was about right. Somewhere between 185 and 190. It is not uncured ham. It is uncurred front leg. Cooks the same as boston butt, just a little leaner.
Picnic ham-hind leg.

I cook a Picnic just like a Butt until probe tender, pull the skin and chop the pork, actually prefer the meat off the Picnic over the Butt.

Picnic ham-hind leg.

Not in Oklahoma. Picnic hams come from the front shoulder.

PICNIC HAM
Immediately below the shoulder is the next cut you’re likely to find: the Picnic Ham (occasionally called the picnic shoulder). “Another total misnomer,” says Mylan. “When you hear “ham” you think of the rear leg. But the picnic ham is the lower part of shoulder.” This is another relatively tough and fatty cut, though it is often sold bone-in.
https://modernfarmer.com/2014/03/pork-cuts-101-diagram/

so it wont look like this

Attachments

• smoked pork picnic shoulder baked2.jpg
    smoked pork picnic shoulder baked2.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 196
:grin:

8sZkORg.jpg

a4kPiB1.jpg

Just did 40 pounds last weekend. I really prefer butt more as their isn’t enounf fat in the picnic to give it much flavor. This is one cut that could use an injection if you had some.

Can't you buy a cured picnic ham at a grocery store where you live? I live in PA and we have plenty of cured Picnic hams whole or spiral. They are even on sale right now for .049/lb.

I'm still not sure if you actually want cured picnic or a fresh/green picnic.

An uncured picnic is nothing more than the bottom half of a whole shoulder with the butt being the top half. If this is what you have, and want to slice it, then I would suggest cooking it between 180-190*. 185 tends to be a pretty good slicing temp.

For a pre-packaged, pre-smoked "ham"...all you need to do is heat it to 140*. So there's that.

Back