Plowboys Rub

Smoothsmoke

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Are they sponsors on this site or the rub is really super super good? How is it with salt content?

Thanks!

It's just that good. I woudn't consider it overly salty I use it generously on my q. Matter of fact after work its a naked fatty and wings rubbed in Yardbird.

It's just that good. I woudn't consider it overly salty I use it generously on my q. Matter of fact after work its a naked fatty and wings rubbed in Yardbird.

Thanks for the review. I recently purchased Head & Country, and man that sure seemed way too salty for me, maybe it had MSG? I'm looking for a great rub with low sodium.

Don't know about the sponsor angle, but as there are no adds on this site I would have to say they are not. As to are the rubs super good? IMHO YES!
Yardbird is good on just about anything and the Bovine Bold? It will lift your cow up to the Heavens!

As with almost any commercially packaged and sold spice product, salt is the first ingredient on the list. The ratio is what's important too, and in the case of these products it is not mostly SALT and then everything else. The balance is very good and not overly salty tasting. Spicy more than anything.

While it isn't what I would call low sodium, Todd makes very good products! Both the Yardbird and Bovine Bold.

He uses his own products in competition and won the Royal last year, I'd say that's a pretty good recommendation. In fact, I need to get some more of both soon

Very good flavor profile, and I think he put quite a bit of time into developing them. As he has said himself, the Yardbird may have been named a bit prematurely, as it is also very good on ribs, butts, fatties, popcorn, hell, dang near anything

I'm a huge fan of Plowboys and so is everyone that tastes the grub it produces. I even recommended to my sister that has a gracoery store that it be sold in her store. Better yet, it's now the rub they use on all their rotis. chicken they sell at the store and folks love it...as do most of the Brethren.

That being said if you're looking for a low sodium rub Dizzy Pig makes a couple salt-free rubs that are likely pretty good if they compare to the other DP rubs.

ohhh, plowboys yardbird rub,,,

I really love it, I love it in my injections for butt, and love it on chicken, the stuff rocks. personally I don't use it on ribs, or brisket,,,,

One word, among many, to describe Yardbird is "balanced." The flavors are well balanced without spikes of too sweet, too salty, or too spicy. The flavors meld together well.

And the Bovine Gold takes on a whole new spectrum of great flavor when it's put on beef than it does right out of the shaker.

I'mnot associated with the maker nor am I a piad endorser. I'm just a fan.

For a commercial rub, it is very good. Not too salty, witch I like , but a good "balance" as previously stated so you can use a lot or a little, whatever works good w/ your cook. I love it . Thanks Plowboy.

Do tell. :icon_cool

well mr todd, i personally throwed some chipotle powder ontoppa yardbird last time and it was fanfriggintastic. both complimented each other... love the YB and BB, and love me some chipotle too ;)

Excellent rub, just ordered some about a month ago and it was awesome on the pork butts. Great balance of flavors, not too much heat, not too much salt. Tried it on ribs, was really good also.

well mr todd, i personally throwed some chipotle powder ontoppa yardbird last time and it was fanfriggintastic. both complimented each other... love the YB and BB, and love me some chipotle too ;)

I LOVE chipotle powder. That's one of the peppers I use in it. You are just amping it up. Nice.

I have used Bovine Bold and I will use it again.

This is Crazy Harry and I approve this post.

As I said before - I don't compete, I don't vend, and I don't cater. I buy my Plowboys rubs by the 5 pound bag. 'Nuff said?

Back