Question for UDS owners that have a Maverick 732/73

Hoosier1960

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I am doing the fonal modifications of my UDS before it gets sandblasted and powder coated. I have seen in the monsters UDS thread 3 ways of putting inlet ports in the the probe and wires. Drill out a stainless bolt, the barb adapter and the waterproof electrical fitting. Any suggestions on which of these are working well for those that have them, or cons why I should not choose one of these choices?

You can get fancy with ports and such but if you want to keep it simple, just drill a hole. A hole at the top of a UDS will not affect temp control so it really doesn't matter. If you want to get fancy for looks and such, you can add "ports" of some sort that are nice but not a must.

I have the waterproof electrical adapter, so I can't say how the others work, but it was cheap and easy to implement. I do get a little smoke leakage from the hole, but not enough to make a difference. One thing I did have to do was add an extra washer on the inside so I could get it tight.

I used the water proof adapter thing on my UDS and the lamp parts mod on my Performer (see http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104368

i actually am going to change the way I use my probes. I'm going to make a very small notch in the rims of the kettle and the UDS. That way, when the meat is done I can just pick up the meat and probes without having to worry about the length of the probe wire if it is threaded through a hole or port in the side of the cooker. Also I can put the probe in the meat, then set the meat on the grate when ready to start cooking, instead of putting the meat on, threading the probe through the hole/port in the side, then putting it in the meat.

The notch will be just enough to accommodate 2 probe wires with a little wiggle room. I doubt there will be issues with heat/air leakage through that small of an opening.

I have one of those conduit port thingees. I'm not sure I'm any better off than I would be with just having a little hole drilled out. You can start with just drilling a little hole, and if that doesn't work for you, take it from there.

I also just drilled a hole in mine. It has no affect on the performance of the UDS at all. I don't see any need to get fancy just to run a probe wire in.

I kept it real simple as well- just drilled 2 holes, just big enough for the probes to slide thru.

pwa

scaled.php

With the cap in..

udscartmod0031182045.jpg

I just drilled a 1/4" hole for now. @caliking, I like your idea of a notch and not having to feed the wires through. Thanks to everyone that replied!

I used a refill kit from Harbor Freight. This is for all your every day air pumps hand held or powered. They are threaded, so its easy to screw in to the uds and it is small enough to fit two probes.

Back