• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Big Poppa Drum Series part 1 : Slow Smoke & High Heat Sear

Fwismoker

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
With all the vertical smokers out there and different build drum smokers I thought i'd do a little series on the versatility of the Big Poppa Drum Smoker.

Today I wanted to start with some simple chicken quarters seasoned with Jack Stack AP and some Tony C's.

The BP hasn't seen much use lately and she needed some love and sunshine (even though it's in the 20's in Spring!) :tsk:

About a 1/3 basket of coals..maybe a little less.

A slow smoke with very thin smoke...got a little apple wood going.

Got the chicken off to the side and lifted the basket up to the searing and grilling level.

Now for the good stuff!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLKnlZG-Stg&feature=youtu.be"]P1020271 - YouTube[/ame]

Great looking cook and nice video!

Beavis-fire.gif

Looks great.

Wheres all the snow at? Finally all melted?

Really had the flames going towards the end. :eusa_clap

Really had the flames going towards the end. :eusa_clap
LOL...like i said in the video imagine if that was more of a full basket or if lump was used.

You just don't need much for the searing...especially chicken and only need a small layer of coals in the basket for grilling. I might just do grilling for the next part in the series...if not it'll be one of them.

With all the vertical smokers out there and different build drum smokers I thought i'd do a little series on the versatility of the Big Poppa Drum Smoker.

Today I wanted to start with some simple chicken quarters seasoned with Jack Stack AP and some Tony C's.

The BP hasn't seen much use lately and she needed some love and sunshine (even though it's in the 20's in Spring!) :tsk:

P1020272_zps6e992b73.jpg
[/URL]

I've always thought the BP kits were a solid build. A small tip on the chicken, try some toothpicks at the edge of the skin to hold it in place better.

L5caq.jpg

I've always thought the BP kits were a solid build. A small tip on the chicken, try some toothpicks at the edge of the skin to hold it in place better.

L5caq.jpg
I'll give that a shot, thanks.

All the years searing up thighs or quarters it just hasn't dawned on me to try hold that skin down....all i know is i like the way it tastes! :-D

It's great that people can make their own UDS with the parts like say just using only the basket like cfarmer.

You got a pic of your build?

Its nice that big poppa has the individual parts to buy.

Thanks Keith, that's awesome!

If I build a 55 gallon stainless steel drum smoker, I definitely want the BP fire basket/nest hook--to me that's the best part of the entire kit. To be able to smoke/sear with the same fire basket is so useful.

Seems like you should be able to lift that fire basket with the nest hook without removing the top grate? Can't you move chicken to the side and slip the nest hook in between the rails of the cooking grate?

Back