MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  



Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2020, 08:25 AM   #76
JbTech
Full Fledged Farker
 
Join Date: 09-10-13
Location: Blue Rock, Ohio
Name/Nickname : Jeff
Default

After reading this debacle I was tempted to take a couple pictures of a fine abode I pass on the way home from work.

Maybe it'll pass.

Oh...then there's the campers at the gas station where folks live year round.
JbTech is online now   Reply With Quote




Old 02-27-2020, 09:00 AM   #77
Smoker34
Knows what a fatty is.
 
Join Date: 08-02-14
Location: New Jersey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason TQ View Post
I'm guessing you don't see how you called yourself out with these 2 very different sentences, lol. Would have been better to just man up and say what you really wanted that first post.

But yes, so innocent and curious
I said I was done, but I have to correct something. You should take a logic course. Your analysis of my statement is either an innocent distortion or outright deception.

Given all that I said on this topic, it should be very obvious, using only basic reading comprehension, that I don’t like the idea of grilling, barbecuing and lounging in front of my house. Proof is that I admitted learning about this practice years ago via internet media and if I liked or even understood the reasoning behind the idea, I would have done it myself. I also told you that even if I did it, my neighbors would complain. Being a neighbor to someone else in my neighborhood, it then follows that I would not like to see people grilling and lounging in a hammock in their front yard. I think it takes away from the aesthetics of the neighborhood and makes it more like a perpetual street festival. So it should come as no surprise that I wouldn’t want to see this in my neighborhood. Your comment says more about you and your own self-image to imply that my not liking this activity amounts to looking down on others.

Having said that, I simply did not and still do not understand, in most cases, why anyone would preferentially choose to grill, barbecue and lounge around in public. I have never seen it in person and would still hope nobody in my neighborhood takes it up.

Happy grilling and barbecuing.
__________________
Weber Summit Grill Center, WSM 22", WSM 18", Weber Summit Charcoal Grill Center
Smoker34 is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 02-27-2020, 09:21 AM   #78
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Join Date: 08-27-10
Location: Independence, MO
Name/Nickname : Joel
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
In my town I'd end up in jail for that.
I'll stay in the back yard with the privacy fence...
You'd go to jail for hanging out in your driveway and drinking beer? Another reason for me to just stay in the MO.

In the summer, at least once a week the guys come over and we sit in chairs in my driveway drinking beer. Usually we grill or smoke something too. It's a great time, and I always get sad when it gets too cold.
__________________
Meat Rushmore BBQ Team
midwest_kc is online now   Reply With Quote


Old 02-27-2020, 09:28 AM   #79
InThePitBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

 
InThePitBBQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-31-19
Location: South Bend, IN
Name/Nickname : Bob
Default

Ya know I never even considered a hammock but what a great idea!

I mean in addition to the big arse wood fired smoker doing it's thing and the pile of firewood and the prep cooler and pop up awning with folding tables I think the swag factor would be awesome.

I know Pat has that cars on blocks thing covered but if you got the hammock tied off between an old Chevy on one end and a busted old Ford on the other swinging back and forth fast enough you could grab some wood off the pile and on the way back over toss it in the firebox much to the shock and awe of the whole neighborhood!

Wonder if a an old camo poly tarp would work for the hammock?
__________________
Shirley Fabrication 24 X 70 elevated straight back "Fire for Effect"
InThePitBBQ is online now   Reply With Quote


3 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-27-2020, 11:06 AM   #80
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

 
Jason TQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-10-11
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker34 View Post
I said I was done, but I have to correct something. You should take a logic course. Your analysis of my statement is either an innocent distortion or outright deception.

Given all that I said on this topic, it should be very obvious, using only basic reading comprehension, that I don’t like the idea of grilling, barbecuing and lounging in front of my house. Proof is that I admitted learning about this practice years ago via internet media and if I liked or even understood the reasoning behind the idea, I would have done it myself. I also told you that even if I did it, my neighbors would complain. Being a neighbor to someone else in my neighborhood, it then follows that I would not like to see people grilling and lounging in a hammock in their front yard. I think it takes away from the aesthetics of the neighborhood and makes it more like a perpetual street festival. So it should come as no surprise that I wouldn’t want to see this in my neighborhood. Your comment says more about you and your own self-image to imply that my not liking this activity amounts to looking down on others.

Having said that, I simply did not and still do not understand, in most cases, why anyone would preferentially choose to grill, barbecue and lounge around in public. I have never seen it in person and would still hope nobody in my neighborhood takes it up.

Happy grilling and barbecuing.
__________________
-Jason
I didn't choose D-Canoe life..........
SF 24x36 On Order
3 Hunsaker Drums
Big Green Egg XL
Pitboss Copperhead 5
Pitboss Whiskey Still
Pitboss Tailgater
Jason TQ is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 02-27-2020, 11:08 AM   #81
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

 
Jason TQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-10-11
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by InThePitBBQ View Post
Ya know I never even considered a hammock but what a great idea!

I mean in addition to the big arse wood fired smoker doing it's thing and the pile of firewood and the prep cooler and pop up awning with folding tables I think the swag factor would be awesome.

I know Pat has that cars on blocks thing covered but if you got the hammock tied off between an old Chevy on one end and a busted old Ford on the other swinging back and forth fast enough you could grab some wood off the pile and on the way back over toss it in the firebox much to the shock and awe of the whole neighborhood!

Wonder if a an old camo poly tarp would work for the hammock?
I like your thinking.......

Now I'm thinking of getting back on the Shirley wait list to get a new trailer model and instead of on the backside getting a Santa Maria grill, I'll have them add a hammock. That way straight from garage to driveway to cooking to laying down!
__________________
-Jason
I didn't choose D-Canoe life..........
SF 24x36 On Order
3 Hunsaker Drums
Big Green Egg XL
Pitboss Copperhead 5
Pitboss Whiskey Still
Pitboss Tailgater
Jason TQ is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 02-27-2020, 11:33 AM   #82
Cat797
Take a breath!
 
Cat797's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-15-13
Location: Central IL
Name/Nickname : Ed
Default

For me, I never used to until we built a new house 5 years ago. It's the typical design with the attached garage facing the street. We hang out in the garage a lot and my grills and smoker are in the garage. I open the door and wheel them out to the driveway and fire it up. I along some of the other posters here enjoy the neighbors and friends driving by and stopping to BS or have drinks. The ironic thing is I have a huge beautiful back yard with no neighbors! Different strokes for different folks I guess.........
__________________
Yoder YS640 - Weber 22.5" Performer - Hunsaker DIY Kit (still not done!)
Cat797 is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Old 02-27-2020, 11:50 AM   #83
Baychilla
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Join Date: 02-08-18
Location: San Francisco, CA
Name/Nickname : Joe
Default

Where I live I'd get gawkers out front. Also rabid squirrels, crack addled turkeys, crows and dogs. Lots and lots of unleashed dogs under "voice control".

That being said, I don't care whether someone cooks out front or out back. I'll take that smell any day of the week over the odor of marijuana.
Baychilla is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 02-27-2020, 12:28 PM   #84
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Join Date: 08-27-10
Location: Independence, MO
Name/Nickname : Joel
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baychilla View Post
Where I live I'd get gawkers out front. Also rabid squirrels, crack addled turkeys, crows and dogs. Lots and lots of unleashed dogs under "voice control".

That being said, I don't care whether someone cooks out front or out back. I'll take that smell any day of the week over the odor of marijuana.
Why either or? Why not both?
__________________
Meat Rushmore BBQ Team
midwest_kc is online now   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Old 02-27-2020, 12:48 PM   #85
Kmm
On the road to being a farker
 
Join Date: 04-30-16
Location: Varna,il
Default

Ok, so I have been in a bad mood fighting cold wind, mud and slop all morning trying to get critters fed and other simple chores done....but I have got to tell you, this thread is making me feel a lot better. Out here our closest neighbors are about 1 mile across the field. Other than a school bus, mailman, and occasional UPS truck bringing smiling boxes, most days we don’t get much other traffic on the road. Depending on the wind direction, I generally set up The cooker(s) in front of the garage, shop or machinery shed and like Jeanie, the occasional pit is located wherever the backhoe can dig. Heck, most (warm) days I could probably cook any place on the farm in nothing but my boxers without being seen or in anyway offending anyone....(other than Mrs.M).
Kmm is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Old 02-27-2020, 02:02 PM   #86
Sevengoals
Full Fledged Farker
 
Join Date: 01-11-14
Location: Perchtoldsdorf, Austria
Default

We use our back yard here in Perchtoldsdorf because we have no front yard.


Easy.


Sevengoals is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Old 02-27-2020, 03:01 PM   #87
JohnH12
Full Fledged Farker
 
Join Date: 07-20-16
Location: Middleburg, Florida
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker34 View Post
I said I was done, but I have to correct something. You should take a logic course. Your analysis of my statement is either an innocent distortion or outright deception.

Given all that I said on this topic, it should be very obvious, using only basic reading comprehension, that I don’t like the idea of grilling, barbecuing and lounging in front of my house. Proof is that I admitted learning about this practice years ago via internet media and if I liked or even understood the reasoning behind the idea, I would have done it myself. I also told you that even if I did it, my neighbors would complain. Being a neighbor to someone else in my neighborhood, it then follows that I would not like to see people grilling and lounging in a hammock in their front yard. I think it takes away from the aesthetics of the neighborhood and makes it more like a perpetual street festival. So it should come as no surprise that I wouldn’t want to see this in my neighborhood. Your comment says more about you and your own self-image to imply that my not liking this activity amounts to looking down on others.

Having said that, I simply did not and still do not understand, in most cases, why anyone would preferentially choose to grill, barbecue and lounge around in public. I have never seen it in person and would still hope nobody in my neighborhood takes it up.

Happy grilling and barbecuing.
So you're the kind of neighbor that turns in their fellow neighbor to the HOA because you don't like whatever they're doing, even if there are no rules against it. Do you also report them for not mowing their lawn on the correct day of the week? How about the color of their cars that offends you.
Please stay where you are so a normal neighborhood isn't plagued by your dislikes.
__________________
Shirley Fabrication F 24 x 36 / XL BGE / Several Weber Kettles / 36" Blackstone
JohnH12 is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Old 02-27-2020, 03:32 PM   #88
TxQGuy
Full Fledged Farker

 
Join Date: 02-01-19
Location: Texas
Name/Nickname : Big C
Default

I currently cook in my backyard, and prefer it that way for two reasons: 1) privacy, and 2) my current offset is like 500+ lbs and therefore ain't moving so much as an inch anytime soon unless someone wants to pay for me to get hernia surgery.

BUT, when I lived in a townhome complex, due to HOA restrictions, no open fires were allowed out front, on the (covered) porches, or underneath the carports. My solution was to drag my little cheapo offset out to just past the carport awning, and then sit underneath the carport in a lawn chair. I would often have parties under there. A bunch of us sitting around drinking beer, listening to music (at a respectable volume, and nothing with profanity in it), and 'cueing it up. As it happens, the carport common area was where 99% of the residents came and went, and was basically the defacto "front yard" for us. So in a sense, I was "that neighbor", bringing some much needed flavor and character to the neighborhood. To provide some background, I had lived in that complex for the better part of 15 years, knew all of the residents personally (most of who were elderly folk who were all at least 40-50 years older than myself), and had established myself as the mean-looking but otherwise very polite and respectful neighbor. Yes I would spend many Saturdays in a cutoff shirt, downing beer and slow-smoking ribs in the middle of the carport area while George Strait songs played and my friends hung out...but I was also the guy who would help you unload your groceries, who would jump start your car, or who you could give your housekey to and ask to feed your cats when you went out of town for the weekend to visit your grandkids.

Point is, it is all about context. I bet a lot of the folks grilling up something tasty in their front yard would be willing to share their beer and B.S. with you about the best way to cook a tender brisket if you happened to walk by...regardless of the presence of cars on cinder blocks.


Also: SmittyJonz, your posts on this thread filled me with such Texan pride that it made me want to sing Deep in the Heart of Texas whilst chugging a tallboy Lone Star. Well done, sir, well done.
__________________
3/8" Pipe Custom Offset Smoker - "Ol' Reliable"
#22 Jumbo Old Smokey Charcoal Grill - "Long Tall Sally"


Red Oak is still Oak
TxQGuy is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Old 02-27-2020, 05:15 PM   #89
InThePitBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

 
InThePitBBQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-31-19
Location: South Bend, IN
Name/Nickname : Bob
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason TQ View Post
I like your thinking.......

Now I'm thinking of getting back on the Shirley wait list to get a new trailer model and instead of on the backside getting a Santa Maria grill, I'll have them add a hammock. That way straight from garage to driveway to cooking to laying down!
Reckon there's enough room next to the hammock for a waterslide option that folds down so you can get it back in the garage?

Hook up a garden hose, toss one of them pop up pools at the bottom and we'd be driveway Q'ing like

__________________
Shirley Fabrication 24 X 70 elevated straight back "Fire for Effect"
InThePitBBQ is online now   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Old 02-27-2020, 05:21 PM   #90
jstrand
Full Fledged Farker
 
Join Date: 01-29-17
Location: Waconia, Minnesota
Default

Waterslide from the roof into the pickup box filled with water!
jstrand is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Forum Custom Search: Enter your Search text below. GOOGLE will search ONLY the BBQ Brethren Forum.
Custom search MAY not work(no display box) in some configurations of Internet Explorer. Please use compliant version of Firefox or Chrome.







All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts