MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-28-2017, 05:58 PM   #1
EdRowe
Found some matches.

Default UDS ash pan on bottom?

I keep reading about people putting legs on the ash pan for their UDS grate. Is there any reason the pan can't just sit on the bottom of the drum?

Old 05-28-2017, 10:47 PM   #2
mcyork28
Babbling Farker

I actually don't use one but have been meaning to set one up. I think I would prefer it not to sit on the bottom. Not real sure why. I just always pictured it off the bottom.
mcyork28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-28-2017, 10:56 PM   #3
mytmouz
is One Chatty Farker

I set the ash pan on the bottoms of mine, and I have some 1x1 scrap tubing that keeps the basket off the ash pan for airflow...

Trailer mounted reverse flow stick burner. Rehomed
Weber Kettle #1 Black. Rehomed
Weber Kettle #2 Copper
Weber Kettle #3, Dads old cooker. Rehomed
Brinkman electric. Rehomed
Weber Smokey Joe. Rehomed
Small Sunbeam tailgater. Rehomed
Brinkman vertical smoker. Rehomed
Little Chief electric smoker. Rehomed
And 2 UDS go to set ups... Rehomed
mytmouz is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-29-2017, 12:55 AM   #4
mchar69
Quintessential Chatty Farker

all ears - I don't have an ashpan.
mchar69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2017, 08:34 AM   #5
Petee_c
On the road to being a farker

My charcoal basket is about 2" off the bottom, and my ashes fall through to the bottom of the uds.

I have this makeshift scoop/bailer that I made from an empty windshield washer jug that I use to scoop out the ash when I need to refill the basket. Works ok so far.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk
Petee_c is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-29-2017, 04:19 PM   #6
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

If you don't get the ash out of the bottom, doesn't it rust out pretty fast?

An ash pan that you can lift out seems like it would simplify things a lot. I'm not sure why I would need to elevate the ash pan though, charcoal basket yes but ash pan no.
Sid Post is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2017, 04:43 PM   #7
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Ash pan on bottom and the fire basket on legs that sits above and inside of the ash pan. The gap between the pan and the fire basket is typically the same height as the intake draft holes, about 2 - 2 1/2: off the bottom of the drum. I used to make my own ash pan, but now I just buy an aluminum pizza pan.
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/ame...124HA5017.html
SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2017, 06:45 AM   #8
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

Default Ash pan in he's

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerKing View Post
Ash pan on bottom and the fire basket on legs that sits above and inside of the ash pan. The gap between the pan and the fire basket is typically the same height as the intake draft holes, about 2 - 2 1/2: off the bottom of the drum. I used to make my own ash pan, but now I just buy an aluminum pizza pan.
Nailed it.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:11 AM   #9
bstomper
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerKing View Post
Yep! Agreed.
Ash pan is just for convenience of clean up. Doesn't effect the cook process. My ash pan is acualy bolted to the bottom of the legs of my basket so it comes out as one unit. An ash pan is a good idea because the ash is somewhat corrosive, especially when wet, and will eventualy rust the bottom of the barrel out.
bstomper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2017, 08:28 AM   #10
PorkinButts82
is one Smokin' Farker

My setup

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
PorkinButts82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2017, 02:22 PM   #11
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

I started out with an ash pan attached to the coal basket with 2 wires that easily attached/removed from the coal basket (stayed attached to the pan). Making for easier ash dumping without having the coal basket attached and having to tip all of it. If that makes sense.

But after alot of greasy cooks, I'd end up with grease in the bottom of the drum. Outside of the ashpan area. I'd have to take ashes and sweep into the grease to allow the grease to absorb with ashes. So why have an ash pan?
Went to just using a cheap broom/dustpan to sweep up the ashes/grease.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2017, 07:24 AM   #12
Pappa Roach1
Found some matches.

I just replaced my ash pan yesterday. I use a Pizza Pan with SS Tubing for Stand Offs. I have 4 stand offs with Bolts through them, and use Flat Washers on both sides of the Coal Basket to secure it. One on top of the tubing, and the other on the upper side o the grate on the fire basket. The ash pan is rigid to the coal basket, and comes straight up with it to dump. Pretty much the same set up as PorkandButts82, only using tubing, bolts and flat washers to attach the Pizza Pan to the bottom of the coal basket.

Bob
Pappa Roach1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2017, 09:05 AM   #13
HAndyman
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Andy

Mine sits on the bottom, made it from the original lid to the drum. Attached to the fire basket, but easily removable to dump.

Tags
ash pan, uds, uds build