• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Things I learned about my new Traeger

BBQ Grail

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Here is a blog post on some things I learned about my Traeger yesterday. I'm editing pictures and the will be posted soon, right here!

With a large family gathering happening yesterday I couldn’t think of a better way to break in the new Traeger Model 075 I acquired last week. Before I get into the pictures and details about the cook here are a few things I learned about my new Traeger:
The Negative:

1. Read the “Owners Manual” and the Digital Thermostat manual too!
  2. The “Owners Manual” and Digital Thermostat manual aren’t worth a darn. They are poorly written and really do not provide enough information to be of value.
  3. When installing the digital thermostat don’t tuck the wires in to far, it can cause the combustion fan to not turn. This means no heat.
  4. The “side box” that holds the pellets is poorly designed. Several times during the long smoke, I discovered the flame had died. In looking inside the pellet bin I looked straight down at the auger. Pellets were piled high on all sides, but a hole had been created. This causes quite a problem in maintaining a safe cooking environment.
  5. I think I would rather have two “half size” cooking grates instead of one long one. This would have made taking the cooking grate out much easier. And based on #4 this was a pain.
  6. When using the shop vac to clean out the inside after the cook, make sure all the pellets are stone cold. No embers. Need I say more…
The Positve:

1. This pit cooks up a storm. I got a smoke ring that was so nice.
  2. Comes up to temperature very fast.
  3. Nice long cook without lots of babysitting.
  4. Excellent flavor
  5. Cleans up very easily
Stay tuned for pictures and more detail!

Larry, I've read some posts that say the Traeger is a "pellet hog"! Your thoughts?

It's hard to say at this point. Because I had to "recharge" the auger three times and bring it back up to temp it's hard to say.

we cook on a 075 and a staniless drum with parts from a traeger and danson both running on pellets the drum is bigger in size insiede cook space and uses a cup or 2 more then the treager just from are many coooks the traeger is not bad on a over night 16 hr cook

Larry, would it help if you 'Waxed' the sides of the pellet bin? I'm talking a good quality wax, not one that you would use for your car...

Remember, I don't use pellets, but I do stay at Holiday Inn....

The new models must be a lot different from the old ones. I have never had a problem with pellets sticking to the sides.

Mine have 3 grills, one big one sound like a hassle. Wonder why they did that? Edit: Just cut it in half.

Hot pellets in the Shop Vac, every pellet user has to experience that at least once to never do it again!

Glad you found some positives. Some say it just does not generate enough smoke flavor for them, I would agree untill I eat the BBQ the next day! Never have figured that one out!

Last edited:
i dont think treagers are pellet eaters mine has a 2 2 amp augers on one side and i get about 18 hours on 20 lbs... the other side has the 1.5 and i get about 24 hours on it... if i had know you where puting in the termom i would have helped you though it sorry i did not know. if you need anything for your treager let me know i have lots of stuff for them.

Pellets do stick to the side - same thing happens with my traeger and my pellet stove. The hopper holds 20lbs so even if a third of it sticks to the sides, you can still get 8 to 10 hours of smoking. If I put something on before I go to bed, I load the hopper so full that the cover can't close.

Here is a blog post on some things I learned about my Traeger yesterday. I'm editing pictures and the will be posted soon, right here!

With a large family gathering happening yesterday I couldn’t think of a better way to break in the new Traeger Model 075 I acquired last week. Before I get into the pictures and details about the cook here are a few things I learned about my new Traeger:
The Negative:

1. Read the “Owners Manual” and the Digital Thermostat manual too!
  2. The “Owners Manual” and Digital Thermostat manual aren’t worth a darn. They are poorly written and really do not provide enough information to be of value.
  3. When installing the digital thermostat don’t tuck the wires in to far, it can cause the combustion fan to not turn. This means no heat.
  4. The “side box” that holds the pellets is poorly designed. Several times during the long smoke, I discovered the flame had died. In looking inside the pellet bin I looked straight down at the auger. Pellets were piled high on all sides, but a hole had been created. This causes quite a problem in maintaining a safe cooking environment.
  5. I think I would rather have two “half size” cooking grates instead of one long one. This would have made taking the cooking grate out much easier. And based on #4 this was a pain.
  6. When using the shop vac to clean out the inside after the cook, make sure all the pellets are stone cold. No embers. Need I say more…
The Positve:

1. This pit cooks up a storm. I got a smoke ring that was so nice.
  2. Comes up to temperature very fast.
  3. Nice long cook without lots of babysitting.
  4. Excellent flavor
  5. Cleans up very easily
Stay tuned for pictures and more detail!

Of course the hotter You run them the faster they eat pellets. I like to start out at 250 then let it smoke for a few hours then back up to 250 for the last hour or 2. This gives a good smoke flavor and seems to save pellets.

I like the wax Idea or you could consider a different pellet brand. Like my friend Bubba he called the other day to let me know he had a few pellets saved for me.

Pellets come in all kinds of sizes so pay attention to the brand of pellet which works best...should I tell a secret...nah I'll save it for another post ..gotta work my way up this ladder.
Each time you lift your pellets and drop the bag it creates smaller pellets - try screening your pellets removing the smaller bits another possible fix

Back