For a contest to be a Qualifier questions

R

Rod Livingston

Lets say there was a contest say called " 1st annual bbq contest " that had a proclamation from the Governor but less then 15 were in it and now this year there is going to be a "2nd annual bbq contest " with a proclamation again, does there need to be 25 teams now to be a qualifier for the Jack and American Royal?

My understanding is that if this is the 2nd year of the contest with the same name it doesn't matter what happened the first year or for what reason you had the contest for: the second year has to have 25 teams competing to be a qualifier.

Please let me know. I know there are plenty of you that know this like the back of your hand.

Thanks

Lets say there was a contest say called " 1st annual bbq contest " that had a proclamation from the Governor but less then 15 were in it and now this year there is going to be a "2nd annual bbq contest " with a proclamation again, does there need to be 25 teams now to be a qualifier for the Jack and American Royal?

My understanding is that if this is the 2nd year of the contest with the same name it doesn't matter what happened the first year or for what reason you had the contest for: the second year has to have 25 teams competing to be a qualifier.

Please let me know. I know there are plenty of you that know this like the back of your hand.

Thanks
You are correct, if it is a second year event with the same name you need 25. Even if the first year wasn't a 4 meat event.

For the Jack, second and subsequent years need 25 teams, unless it is the *only* qualifying contest for that year in that state, in which case it requires 15 again.

Something I've been wondering: If there is only one qualifier in a state, but some one else from that state wins a non-US qualifier, how would that be handled?

dmp

I'm going to play the other side, and I am just referring to the JD. The ARI is changing things some.

According to Debbie @ JD, the way I understood it, to be a first year qualifier it had to have a proclamation, cook the 4 main categories, and have a minimum of 15 teams. Any of that not met, it's not a qualifier. Sounds like the event you are referring to was not a qualifier it's first year because of too few teams. So it would be attempting to be a first year qualifier still, because it never has been a qualifier in the past. Just my take and definitely unofficial.

Thanks

Instead of asking for a series of unofficial opinions on the matter here, why don't you call The Jack and The Royal and get an official opinion?

Instead of asking for a series of unofficial opinions on the matter here, why don't you call The Jack and The Royal and get an official opinion?

I think that's a GREAT idea - and especially be as specific as possible, as in, be sure to state how this is the 2nd year of the contest and the first year the same contest had the proclamation but not the required # of teams.

The thing you have to remember with both the AR and the JD is that they are INVITATIONALS. If one of them wants to invite someone who hasn't met all the qualifications as specified in the rules, that's up to them - it's their contest, after all. I can tell you that in general they both stick to the rules they've stated, tho. But how your particular contest fits in is something that I'd think would be best answered with an "official" opinion - I know the cooks at that contest would prefer that, too!

Lynn H.

Back