MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:45 AM   #1
Gerrit_Boys
Full Fledged Farker

Default what would you charge?

I told a buddy I was running the cooker for today and he asked if I could cook him up some ribs while it was going. I'm that kind of guy so I said sure. He shows up with the ribs and 2 butts for his girlfriends parents. I told him I can't be doing this kind of thing for free so how much would you charge the girlfriends parents? I don't want to jab them but I also don't want to be exploited either. Thanks for any suggestions in advance!!
Gerrit_Boys is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2010, 07:05 AM   #2
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

If they supplied the butts I would get $20-$25 per butt at least.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:11 AM   #3
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

I don't cook food for people unless I buy the meat myself. Even if I trust a friend. I might cook the ribs for free and just give him the bill for the meat but that's it. Too much chnace of mishandling the meat otherwise. Adding a fee for cooking makes you legally responsible.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:59 AM   #4
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

What Ford said!
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2010, 09:12 AM   #5
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

How much did you charge for the ribs?
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2010, 12:04 PM   #6
Gerrit_Boys
Full Fledged Farker

I told him I would do the spares for free as it works out for a timing practice run. I don't have a problem with that as I kinda keep the neighbors well fed with other practice food and I buy that meat. The problem is friends of friends and so on. It's probably time to draw the line in the snow and make it clear that to everybody that rub, foil, pans, etc. not to mention time and expertise aren't free.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:59 PM   #7
chopshop
On the road to being a farker

Are you a caterer or just a guy cooking in his yard? if its your friend how could you charge him. I know he never mentioned the butts, but you do them anyway and tell him never again. as far as being legally responsible, if you are a caterer or vendor, yeah maybe you would be responsible. if your just cooking in your yard who cares where the meat has been. every time i have a family bbq people bring food just because they mishandled the food and served it at my house doesnt mean my business is legally responsible. If they did try to do something i suggest finding new friends

Old 02-21-2010, 05:49 PM   #8
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Free its your friend???????????????? Right?

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2010, 11:49 AM   #9
SQWIB
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrit_Boys View Post
I told a buddy I was running the cooker for today and he asked if I could cook him up some ribs while it was going. I'm that kind of guy so I said sure. He shows up with the ribs and 2 butts for his girlfriends parents. I told him I can't be doing this kind of thing for free so how much would you charge the girlfriends parents? I don't want to jab them but I also don't want to be exploited either. Thanks for any suggestions in advance!!
Smoke the ribs as promised and give him the butts back.

Does he know how long Butts take?
If he is aware of the time involved he should have never brought you his butts
If he is not aware, I would let him know the time involved.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:04 PM   #10
falldownbbq
Banned

smoke it all for him.. If he is a friend and your doing it for him then go all the way... IF your contemplating spending 20 dollars to make a friend happy then he is obviously not a good friend..

If i was running my smoker and a friend asked me if he could bring over food to cook, and showed up with 4 briskets, 4 butts, and 10 racks of ribs, if i had the room and the time, i wouldnt even question doing it for free...
falldownbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2010, 07:57 PM   #11
Gerrit_Boys
Full Fledged Farker

Just so you guys know, the butts are for the parents of his girlfriend, who I barely know. For my friends, its always free. When its friends of friends or parents of friends of friends I believe its getting too far away from the point. At any rate, I did it for nothing this time and let him know that when its for other people I need to cover time and expenses.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:22 PM   #12
Dutchovendude
Got Wood.

I think that was the best call.
Dutchovendude is offline   Reply With Quote