• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Help w/ 1st turkey on UDS

grill 'em all

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So the Mother in law calls and asks if I would smoke a turkey for her. I say yes. problem is I've never done this before. I can get an easy 10 hrs on 8 lbs of KB. any ideas (rubs,stuffings,mops,diffuser) will be a HUGE help.:pray::pray:

brine it if it's not an enhanced bird. do it at a higher temp (i do mine in the 275-325 range whereever my bds seems to settle on) take it to 165 in breast/ 180 in thigh (might have to put tin foil over breast to keep it from overshooting while thigh comes to temp) brining seems to help both arrive at their temp at about the same time. i basically use Steve Raichlen's maple smoked turkey recipe from his bbq univ site. use a light wood like apple or other fruit wood but any would do

I like to brine, inject with Creole butter, and use a rub made entirely of herbs. Cherry wood gives it an awesome color.

Just did a 8.5 bone in turkey breast that turned out fantastic. Brined it for nearly 24 hours put butter on and under that skin, then rubbed a herbal rub all over the outside. Cooked it about 4 hours at about 275. I would have liked the skin a bit more crispy but the flavor of the bird was delicious. Oh yeah took it out of the smoker at about 158 and wrapped it for 30 minutes with foil and placed breast down in a cooler. Very tender and moist. Also used cherry wood.

Back