MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:35 AM   #61
Coltrain
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_BBQ View Post
Hey ColTrain

How did you clean up the easyoff way down at the bottom? That is some toxic stuff.
The first day when I was cleaning the bottom, I literally just held my breath. The liner came out super easy - I could almost just grab and peal the liner off with just my (gloved) hand. I have pretty long arms and could reach the top 2/3 of the barrel without sticking my head in there.

Yesterday I took the lid off and let it sit for about 4 hours and by the time I started working on it there was almost no odor. I then took the wire wheel to it (only took about 5 minutes with the wire wheel) and mopped up as much of the junk in the barrel as I could with paper towels. I wasn't too concerned with exposure by that time, but I still alternated working on the bottom and top so my head wasn't stuck in the barrel too long.

If you have a pressure washer, that would be the way to go. The liner came out so easy I think I could have just used a garden hose with a nozzle, but I didn't want the barrel to sit too long and rust up.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:49 PM   #62
basuraman
Full Fledged Farker

I am happy I saw this thread. I was thinking about calling him.
basuraman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2011, 01:43 PM   #63
DC_BBQ
Got Wood.

I just got mine back from the sand blast guy. I had arranged with the guy before reading about how well Easy Off worked. But he did a great job and now the drum is down to bare mettle.

I will season it tonight and hopefully try something next week. We are going out of town to see the in-laws this weekend. I miss getting to use my new UDS and going down to the Capitol BBQ challenge. All the good BBQ in walking distance and I’m out of town.

For seasoning I just spray it with Pam and light a fire with some smoke right?
DC_BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2011, 01:47 PM   #64
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_BBQ View Post
I just got mine back from the sand blast guy. I had arranged with the guy before reading about how well Easy Off worked. But he did a great job and now the drum is down to bare mettle.

I will season it tonight and hopefully try something next week. We are going out of town to see the in-laws this weekend. I miss getting to use my new UDS and going down to the Capitol BBQ challenge. All the good BBQ in walking distance and I’m out of town.

For seasoning I just spray it with Pam and light a fire with some smoke right?
And cook a fatty. Its mandatory
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2011, 09:52 PM   #65
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

Hey DC_BBQ I am glad to hear that you where able to get it sandblasted.. 2 quick Q's did the paint peal from the outside? And what did he charge you? I just got the new drum and it looks good. I will post some pics here and let the pro's be the judge

Regarding seasoning.. I rubbed crisco all over the inside and had the fire rip for 2 hours at 400*.
gaspipe1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2011, 09:13 AM   #66
DC_BBQ
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe1 View Post
Hey DC_BBQ I am glad to hear that you where able to get it sandblasted.. 2 quick Q's did the paint peal from the outside? And what did he charge you? I just got the new drum and it looks good. I will post some pics here and let the pro's be the judge

Regarding seasoning.. I rubbed crisco all over the inside and had the fire rip for 2 hours at 400*.
It was $50 and the inside came back as silver as the Tin Man. The outside paint was mostly fine. A little was worn off at the top. I am thinking about doing a custom paint job. Maybe Redskins because I am a gluten for punishment.

Last night I seasoned it with some old duck fat I had in the freezer. Got it going the way described in this post using mesquite.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109339

Had it dialed in at 225 in 20 minutes and it held that temp for four hours. The last two with some chicken leg qtrs in a simple rub. Sorry didn’t have any sausage to make the required first fatty. They came out wonderfully moist with the meat falling off the bone.

One question do you long time drum users have much of a problem with fat at the bottom of the barrel. There was a little in mine this morning. I’m not sure if it was the chicken or I put too much duck fat on the sides for the seasoning. But I know if I do a lot of ribs not all the fat will drip on the fire grate. I am wondering how to keep that part clean.
DC_BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2011, 09:20 AM   #67
Randbo
is one Smokin' Farker

I use Kingsford blue. I have tried some others and can't really taste much difference. Hope you have fun with your cook.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:58 PM   #68
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

Here are some pics of the new drum. What do you guys think? I think it needs a really good washing. Also this drum is a lil different from the 1st. The lid seems much heavier and the fit is different. The first lid had more of a "cup" on the lip of the lid, this one seems more like it sits on top of the drum and not a snug fit.
My idea is first to burn a few logs of wood, hose it down or power wash the inside and then season it with Crisco like the 1st one.

DC_BBQ who sandblasted yours as in what type of business was it? Also regarding the fat, I noticed I had that on my 1st one too. Was from the Crisco and when it cooled it formed like a pad of butter on the bottom. The only thing I noticed that was a pain was when it cooled and the ash pan kinda stuck to it. That's all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo Jun 24, 8 32 33 PM.jpg (71.1 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg Photo Jun 24, 8 34 20 PM.jpg (83.4 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg Photo Jun 24, 8 34 38 PM.jpg (50.9 KB, 127 views)
gaspipe1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charcoal starter, lump, new smoker, uds