catering turkey

LT72884

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
SO here is my question. I am going to roast some whole turkeys, bones and all in my house oven. I am then going to take all teh meat off of the bones and put it in a aluminum serving dish. BUT, how do i keep it warm and mosit with out it going dry? do i need to add broth over the top of the pulled turkey meat?

thanks

EDIT

i know that was probably a juvenile question to ask but never really had to cater turkey for events before. haha

Last edited:
I would cook them and keep them whole and hot until service where I would pull the meat off and serve. Keeping pulled meat hot, especially poultry is a ticket to dry meat.

ok the reason i ask is because im curious how restaurants make their turkey dinners. I recently ate at a place where they cooked the whole turkey but when they served it, it was so tender and juicy. almost like it was from a stew but with not vegitables. But i wanna cater some turkey simular to that this month for some parties.

thanks

Make sure they are brined. For catering, I use Butterball Breast, I get from my food distributor. Cook to 150 and hold until serving time in a hot box and slice and receive praise.:thumb:

ok the reason i ask is because im curious how restaurants make their turkey dinners. I recently ate at a place where they cooked the whole turkey but when they served it, it was so tender and juicy. almost like it was from a stew but with not vegitables. But i wanna cater some turkey simular to that this month for some parties.

thanks

Stop in and ask the chef, tell the restaurant that you are impressed with how the turkey comes out so moist and was wondering how they did it. Most chef's are open about the process but usually don't tell you their spices etc.

thanks

We used to bone out the turkey, slice the breast meat, debone/pull the dark meat, place dressing and dark meat on pans with the while meat covering, then use a damp cloth to cover the whole thing in the walk-in. We then reheat inthe steamer and covered with hot gravy.

So, we did not try to slice and sever one meal at a time. :-D

Stop in and ask the chef, tell the restaurant that you are impressed with how the turkey comes out so moist and was wondering how they did it. Most chef's are open about the process but usually don't tell you their spices etc.

i tried but he was way busy. it was peach days down here and he was slammed. The waitress did say that they just roast whole turkeys and then pick them. But when it came out on teh plate, it was like the meat had been placed in a roasting pan after it was picked from the bones and mixed with some stock and braised a we bit. it was soooo good. i should call them. OH and i might need to add that these will not be smoked. Just oven roasted. thanks
thanks for the idea

We used to bone out the turkey, slice the breast meat, debone/pull the dark meat, place dressing and dark meat on pans with the while meat covering, then use a damp cloth to cover the whole thing in the walk-in. We then reheat inthe steamer and covered with hot gravy.

So, we did not try to slice and sever one meal at a time. :-D

so the dark meat went in a pan with the white meat covering the dark? then covered with a cloth to keep moist

thanks again

i called and spoke with the chef of a cafe here who has really good turkey and it turns out, he uses a steam oven and slow cooks them for 12 hours. After that, he pulls the turkey off the bones and then keeps it in the drippings to keep its falvor. He then also uses the drippings for his gravy. goooood stuff.

But im glad i took your guys advice and called him up. Im surprissed he gave me his technique

Back